News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Find ethanol free gas near you.

Started by Henry W, March 27, 2011, 03:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowGear

Just so you know.

I went to the harbor to get the ethanol free fuel for my mower.  It is my therapy machine and it's wants and needs are my wants and needs.  Besides Roy, my consultant mechanic, told me I'd have fewer problems if I got off the ethanol habit.

I actually had worse service from this crap than just everyday premium.  My mower demands and receives Chevron Premium.  I just paid $4.30 a gallon for it last week.  It took the usual 10 minutes to wash the bad stuff out of the lines and get Julius running smooth like a good machine does.  Crappy running equipment is not good Karma!

So if you find a source don't buy eight gallons before you test and know it's better than what you're using.  And yes I know much of the Western World would love to buy gasoline that cheap.  But here in Hawaii its a price we'll be lucky to beat in the next couple of years.  Oh, my last electrical bill rate was slightly above 39 cents a KWH.  Our personal record is a strong 44 cents a KWH.  Let Ripley know a new USA record is just around the corner.

Casey

Henry W

I was getting only around 14 MPG with my F150 4X4 on 10% ethanol 89 octane fuel.
I paid $3.87 a gallon for 93 octane ethanol free gas and now I am getting around 18 MPG. The truck does not run sluggish anymore. I have no problems running ethanol free fuel.  

Some garages have been reporting over 25% ethanol in fuel tanks. We have a problem here with fuel.

You paid $4.30 a gallon, Wow!!! You might try to find fuel away from a marina.

Henry

billswan

Hwew

I am all for every one being able to buy exactly what they want. But don't be to hard on ethanol it is extending the fuel supply. And making some jobs in the midwest.

If you are having trouble with your truck and it has been traced to someone running up the ethanol  content above 10 t0 15 % that is to bad. And not fair or legal either. Get after the people blending the fuel, I am sure your state will be interested in finding the thieves.

And yes I am a farmer and have a dog in the fight and I do own shares in an ethanol plant.
And that plant is on the edge of bankruptcy.

Billswan
16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

BioHazard

Quote from: billswan on March 27, 2011, 09:23:50 PM
I am all for every one being able to buy exactly what they want. But don't be to hard on ethanol it is extending the fuel supply. And making some jobs in the midwest.

I believe ethanol burns in your car with a net loss of BTUs. How much oil is needed to grow and distill that ethanol? Now, if you fertilized the corn with natural fertilizer, hand pick it, and distill it with a solar concentrator, that would make sense. (but not cents)

I'm all for not using foreign oil sources, but I see ethanol as a major failure. Much like the fact that diesel cars are rare in this country, because of emissions. Sure, they might burn a little dirtier, but is that a bad thing if they are only burning half as much fuel? But then again why would the EPA or the government make any sense....
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

cgwymp

I wonder how it's known that the stations on that site have ethanol-free gas. In NC at least, it is not required that pumps be labeled. Therefore the absence of a sticker does not mean that the fuel does not contain ethanol. I notice that only one station is listed in Raleigh.....
Listeroid 8/1

Henry W

The station in Raleigh is only 3 miles from me. Yes it is ethanol free 93 octane. There is another place in Wilson Mills that I know about. They carry 87 and 93 octate. I will be taking a run to fill up all my equipment.

Henry

DanG

Chevron withdrew from the Minnesota market four years ago - that was the fuel that gave my F-150 the best mileage. I found them when prices first went over $3 a gallon and would get 2 to 4 extra MPG just on regular grade alone, I wonder if the ethanol content was being redirected to another market since they knew they were shutting down their stations here.

Up here we are at the end of the most pipelines and get boutique gas, whatever cocktail of solvents the refineries can blend to meet minimum btu content, so no blend is guaranteed and it changes from fuel station delivery to delivery. This fuel is not meant to exist longer than two weeks as its meant to be burned in peoples daily work commutes.

Fueling up in Missouri or Kansas and heading North I've seen 20mpg highway with a tailwind - using MN commuter fuel I'm lucky to get 15mpg.

Pure petroleum fuel is allowed by law here for use in recreational engines where outcomes of getting people safe before a storm (etc.) might make a difference. There are no "fuel" police checking who is pumping what but I doubt the 91 or 93 RV fuel has the full additives package, I might be a little leery trusting the eight damn expensive injectors on my 5.4L to a steady diet of gas meant for 4HP outboard boat motors without a fuel system additive like Chevrons Techron.

cognos

That site does not provide accurate information. One needs to check with the state/provincial regulations to determine what concentrations of "oxygenates"  - and there are more than just ethanol that are allowed - may be actually mandated to be in the fuel you are purchasing. And in many places, such as Ontario, Canada, where labelling is no longer required, but up to 10% of the fuel may contain ethanol. Don't rely on the pump sticker, the station owner, or the truck driver - or some website with questionable sources.

No one should be seeing more than a small drop in mileage using a fuel with 10% ethanol. If you do, something else is up. In a modern engine, you get roughly 2/3 the mileage of a gallon of raw ethanol vs. gasoline. So out of the total gallon you just bought, in that 10% that is ethanol, you would get 2/3 of your regular mileage - so if you were getting 10 mpg on "pure" gasoline, you'd get 9.66mpg on the oxygenated fuel. But the tradeoff may not be even that low - since the ethanol raises the octane number of the entire gallon of gasoline, you engine's ECU may change some operating parameters and you may get the same or better mileage... so it's not just a simple % comparison. And just because the fuel has a higher octane number doesn't means it's "better", or will give your engine more power - unless it's a higher compression, turbo- or super-charged engine that requires premium.

All bets are off at higher percentages of ethanol, unless your engine has been optimized to use it, or if the fuel is "stale" - old gasoline containing an alcohol woll pull moisture from the air. Heat/cool cycles in the tank hasten the process. Wet gas is bad gas...

As far as additives - anti-corrosion, dispersant, detergent, etc. - in consumer fuels - don't get oversold. Almost all gasoline contains exactly the same additives. Oh, sure, they may change the formulations a % here or a chemical there - but they're essentailly equal to each other - and compatible with each other.

mkdutchman

Quote from: cognos on March 28, 2011, 08:53:14 AM
That site does not provide accurate information. One needs to check with the state/provincial regulations to determine what concentrations of "oxygenates"  - and there are more than just ethanol that are allowed - may be actually mandated to be in the fuel you are purchasing. And in many places, such as Ontario, Canada, where labelling is no longer required, but up to 10% of the fuel may contain ethanol. Don't rely on the pump sticker, the station owner, or the truck driver - or some website with questionable sources.

No one should be seeing more than a small drop in mileage using a fuel with 10% ethanol. If you do, something else is up. In a modern engine, you get roughly 2/3 the mileage of a gallon of raw ethanol vs. gasoline. So out of the total gallon you just bought, in that 10% that is ethanol, you would get 2/3 of your regular mileage - so if you were getting 10 mpg on "pure" gasoline, you'd get 9.66mpg on the oxygenated fuel. But the tradeoff may not be even that low - since the ethanol raises the octane number of the entire gallon of gasoline, you engine's ECU may change some operating parameters and you may get the same or better mileage... so it's not just a simple % comparison. And just because the fuel has a higher octane number doesn't means it's "better", or will give your engine more power - unless it's a higher compression, turbo- or super-charged engine that requires premium.

All bets are off at higher percentages of ethanol, unless your engine has been optimized to use it, or if the fuel is "stale" - old gasoline containing an alcohol woll pull moisture from the air. Heat/cool cycles in the tank hasten the process. Wet gas is bad gas...

As far as additives - anti-corrosion, dispersant, detergent, etc. - in consumer fuels - don't get oversold. Almost all gasoline contains exactly the same additives. Oh, sure, they may change the formulations a % here or a chemical there - but they're essentailly equal to each other - and compatible with each other.

Isn't that site merely stating that this is a list of stations carrying ethanol free gas?
2 Metro 6/1s running off grid, charging a 48v battery bank, for primary power and CHP
3 Outback 1548 1500W inverters in a 3phase layout
1 Samlex 1500W inverter for 110AC

Carlb

My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

cognos

It's a website that anyone can post on, and say that some station somewhere sells ethanol-free gas - as far as they know, according to a pump sticker or talking to the station owner - which are not necessarily reliable sources, since in some cases, they may not actually know if the fuel contains ethanol or not... only the refiner/blender can give the definitive answer, and they are regulated by various government agencies as to what they are allowed to put in fuel, and how much, and whether they have to tell anybody about it or not.

LowGear

BioHazard

But the tradeoff may not be even that low - since the ethanol raises the octane number of the entire gallon of gasoline, you engine's ECU may change some operating parameters and you may get the same or better mileage... so it's not just a simple % comparison. And just because the fuel has a higher octane number doesn't means it's "better", or will give your engine more power - unless it's a higher compression, turbo- or super-charged engine that requires premium.

The final octane of your fuel isn't any higher with ethanol in your gas. They don't add high octane ethanol to 87 octane gasoline, they start with lower octane gas and add ethanol to get to 87.

That website is rather suspicious, there is more than one listing in oregon for "87" octane non ethanol, except, that's not legal to sell in this state. The only thing that can be sold without ethanol is premium.
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

cognos

Quote from: BioHazard on March 28, 2011, 12:26:28 PM
But the tradeoff may not be even that low - since the ethanol raises the octane number of the entire gallon of gasoline, you engine's ECU may change some operating parameters and you may get the same or better mileage... so it's not just a simple % comparison. And just because the fuel has a higher octane number doesn't means it's "better", or will give your engine more power - unless it's a higher compression, turbo- or super-charged engine that requires premium.

The final octane of your fuel isn't any higher with ethanol in your gas. They don't add high octane ethanol to 87 octane gasoline, they start with lower octane gas and add ethanol to get to 87.

That is technically true. It used to be "truer" 25 years ago, when tetra-ethyl lead was used as an additive, TEL increases octane very effectively in poor quality base blend stock. Ethanol is not nearly as effective as a simple octane improver.

But the way modern refiners make and blend gasoline these days makes making so-called "poor quality, low octane base stock" a thing of the past. The truth of the matter is that base stock is pretty good stuff these days, and adding ethanol improves just the octane number, not the total "goodness ;D" of the gasoline itself. It just resists preignition a little bit better. A refiner doesn't want to add ethanol to gasoline. It's seriously expensive, way more than a gallon of gasoline, it's hard to make and store, and for various reasons, customers don't want it. So they use as little of it as they can legally get away with - there's not enough customers that are willing to pay the true cost of a gallon of ethanol out there to make it profitable, so they wouldn't do it if it weren't legislated.