News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Vintage Tractors

Started by flywheel, October 20, 2009, 11:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flywheel

vdubnut62

I have a couple of vintage two cyl Deeres, a 1955 JD70Dstd, wide adjustable square front end with the screaming V4 pony starting engine, and a styled 1951 A gas tractor.   

flywheel
Never met a diesel engine I didnt like.

RogerAS

Hey,

I have a '38 Allis-Chalmers "B" model. Hand crank. In the process of restoration. Runs good now, but the tins are all whacked. Needs new tires, water pump and some lovin'.

XYZER

John Deere 420C with loader

Vidhata 6/1, Power Solutions 6/1, Kubota Z482

harv_44

1945 B.F.Avery made in Louisville Ky.
    1947 8N Ford made in Detroit Mi. I think

Harv

vdubnut62

Flywheel I hope you have a better behaved 5500 rpm v4 pony than I do. Mine is the Devil. The diesel ALWAYS starts on the first turn,
unless it's really cold, but that #$@^^% pony motor......man it tries my patience. But It's worth it to hear that 2 cylinder at full whee
with an 8 inch flame sitting on top of the stack ;D
I have an old International B275 diesel, oops, my Wife has an old International B-275 diesel, and my "work tractor" a Belarus air cooled
diesel 4x4. Those things are super strong, but rougher than a night in jail. Oh, I almost for got the 51 Cub.
My Son in Law and his  family are a little obsessed, at last count I think they had 17 Farmalls and a couple of Olivers.
I really want a 830 Black Dash, but I guess wants and needs are a little different. I never really met an old tractor or engine that I didn't
like.
  So now I am working on a deal for a 1110 Changfa, and trying to come up with a plan to get a 6/1 listeroid hid long enough to sort of break the news to my Dear sweet Wife s l o w l y. Maybe she won't cut me off completely ::)
The Plan is to play around with things and try to figure out how I am going to go off grid up on the Farm. The House....maybe, the Shop and Barn definitely.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

flywheel

Quote from: vdubnut62 on October 22, 2009, 09:57:31 PM
Flywheel I hope you have a better behaved 5500 rpm v4 pony than I do. Mine is the Devil. The diesel ALWAYS starts on the first turn,
unless it's really cold, but that #$@^^% pony motor......man it tries my patience. But It's worth it to hear that 2 cylinder at full whee
with an 8 inch flame sitting on top of the stack ;D what year is your Standard?

Yes they are little screamers and they can be very fussy if the carb is not set just right.  The float will sometimes get out of adjustment from all that rocking and rolling back and forth while the diesel engine is running.  My std is a 1955.

vdubnut62

Well, same year as my row crop! Just out of curosity, have you ever weighed your standard?
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

flywheel

Quote from: vdubnut62 on October 22, 2009, 10:32:53 PM
Well, same year as my row crop! Just out of curosity, have you ever weighed your standard?
Ron

Never weighed it but a jd book I have lists it at about 6800 pounds,  I have wheel weights and calcium chloride in the rear tires so mine may weigh more. I need to drain that crap out, its not a work tractor.  I will see if I can find the jd book, it has all the info on the 2 cyls.

vdubnut62

I seriously doubt 6800lbs. Well, maybe with no fuel or engine or trans oil. Or calcium in the tires. I would figure it to weight a bunch more than mine. John Henry goes around 7000lbs with 5 gallons of fuel.
I have nothing but air in the tires, and for the life of me, I can't get mine into the 7000lb class. I have to pull in 7500 farm stock,
with my 200lb butt on it I have to add about 300lbs to make class weight. I refuse to pull the pto, rock shafts and hydraulic pump.
If you really like that tractor, get the Calcium out of the rear tires!!!! When we got the old Cub, calcium had eaten even the pressed steel
centers out of the rear wheels. I took the rear tires off with my bare hands, the rims were GONE. That stuff is unreal corrosive.

flywheel

Quote from: vdubnut62 on October 22, 2009, 11:13:41 PM
I seriously doubt 6800lbs. Well, maybe with no fuel or engine or trans oil. Or calcium in the tires. I would figure it to weight a bunch more than mine. John Henry goes around 7000lbs with 5 gallons of fuel.
I have nothing but air in the tires, and for the life of me, I can't get mine into the 7000lb class. I have to pull in 7500 farm stock,
with my 200lb butt on it I have to add about 300lbs to make class weight. I refuse to pull the pto, rock shafts and hydraulic pump.
If you really like that tractor, get the Calcium out of the rear tires!!!! When we got the old Cub, calcium had eaten even the pressed steel
centers out of the rear wheels. I took the rear tires off with my bare hands, the rims were GONE. That stuff is unreal corrosive.

Just looked in the jd book, weight is listed at 6510 pounds, price new in 1956 was $3850.  Options and extras would add weight and five different front ends were available for the 70d's.

vdubnut62

What does the jd book jive for the ow crop with a wide front?
Ron

flywheel

Quote from: vdubnut62 on October 23, 2009, 04:27:38 PM
What does the jd book jive for the ow crop with a wide front?
Ron
The book does not show a weight listing for a row crop with wide front.  It does list the weight of the gp row crop as 6035 pounds, probably dual narrow front.  A wide front would be much heavier, other optional equipment also would add weight

vdubnut62

Interesting. I wonder what is considered optional?
I'll bet I have the only "ow crop" in captivity ::)  First day with new hands.
Ron

Tom T

I have a 1958 JD C40 with a loader.  Would be lost without it and it sounds good to. Tom T 

eugen

I own a 1952 Massey Harris Colt, wide front-end with most accessories, Rear PTO, Side pully, three point hitch and frontend loader. This tractor still see's active duty.  Also have a Massey Harris model #30,  presently undergoing restoration.

Eugen