News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Drilling and tapping case for solenoid

Started by mbryner, March 16, 2011, 07:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbryner

As mentioned on a few previous posts, I'm adding a Murphy 1 1/2-inch throw solenoid to my 6/1 to open the fuel rack and passively close it on normal shutdown or emergency shutdown.   It seems the easiest is to attach a thin stranded aircraft cable to the tensioning spring on the governor mechanism.   The cable will thread back to the solenoid.   The energized solenoid holds the cable tight at the required spring tension for 650 rpm.   If the solenoid is de-energized the cable falls slack and the engine stops.   There is insufficient room to the left of the spring to mount the solenoid and multiple holes would have to be drilled in the crankcase, so I just mounted the solenoid in a vertical orientation to the engine base frame.   Then the cable will have to go through a pulley to make a 90 deg turn from vertical to horizontal.   If I attach the pulley to the stud the spring is on in the picture below, the spring will be angled downward and not in line with the governor mechanism anymore.   I was planning on drilling a hole in the crankcase approx where the red dot is.   Does anyone see any problems with that?   How thick is the iron there?   It's not easy to determine by looking in the crankcase.   It's directly below the camshaft.   It's preferable to not plunge through and have to clean out the crankcase from drilling shavings, but if that's what it takes...   Thanks.

Marcus

JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

"The 2nd Amendment is the RESET button of the US Constitution"

d34

Just a thought, I dont have a clue if this would work for you.  Why not get a shorter spring with the same tention and mount the pully on the stud that is there?
GM90 6/1 ST5 (ready for emergency)
Changfa ZS1105GNM with 10kw gen head
S195 no gen head
1600 watts of solar panels are now here waiting for install
2635 watts of solar panels, Outback 3648 & 3048 Inverters, MX60, Mate
840Ah (20 hr rate) 48v battery bank & 660Ah (8 hr rate) 48v battery bank

bschwartz

Are you SURE the engine will shut down with the spring tension released.  It would be a bad day if your system were to sense a problem, release the spring, and the engine only slowed down a lot, but not shut off.
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

mbryner

@d34:  Thanks.  Great idea.  But how do I know the spring constant is the same?   If I don't get the same spring constant won't the engine rpm bounce around?

@brett: Well, I'd be using it for routine shutdown, too, so if it doesn't work I'll notice pretty quickly! :)   Seriously though, if you take out any tension on the spring, there's nothing to pull the fuel rack open against the flyweights.   I got the idea from Jens from a previous thread: http://www.microcogen.info/index.php?topic=1780.msg21695#msg21695   Hmm, I'll double check tomorrow.
JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

LowGear

Isn't it more energy efficient to energize the solenoid when things fail.  Is the solenoid strong enough to pull the rack closed?  Yes, I know this is a little like putting the generators in the basement a couple of hundred meters from the ocean.  The only catastrophic failure scenario here would be a dead battery. 

Casey

mbryner

Casey,  not less efficient if you use the solenoid for routine startup and shutdown.   A solenoid doesn't take much power to hold on:  hold on to keep running, let go and engine turns off.   Anything fails = power lost = engine passively turns off because no more fuel.

AdeV

Marcus,

Looking at that picture, I'd estimate you have at least an inch of solid iron there, plenty to drill & tap a decent sized bolt.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

Carlb

Quote from: LowGear on March 16, 2011, 10:32:01 PM
Isn't it more energy efficient to energize the solenoid when things fail.  Is the solenoid strong enough to pull the rack closed?  Yes, I know this is a little like putting the generators in the basement a couple of hundred meters from the ocean.  The only catastrophic failure scenario here would be a dead battery. 

Casey

What happens if a mouse eats through the wire or the solenoid fails.   I think energizing the solenoid to keep the engine running would provide a "fail safe" situation.

carl
My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

LowGear

Hi,

Thanks for listening.  I'm back on the team.  Normally On.

Can we set it up so it could be over-rided(?).  OK, this is the first step towards Kaos but "back doors" can make life a lot easier.

This is where I ask if anyone has seen Captain JB Weld?

Casey

mbryner

Thanks all.   Jens, that is what I needed to know.  98% is OK.  

QuoteIf it is a concern (it isn't any more for me) you could add a secondary safety.

I can add a small/weak spring pulling on the opposite side of the rack to make it 100% reliable.   That's easy.   I'll do some experimenting today.  

Here's a pic of what I tried first.   It worked but wasn't reliable enough and the Allthread rod was bending.

Thob

I think I would use the bolts on the left of the crankcase cover just below the spring attach point.  Make a bracket that holds a pivot point below the spring attach point, and use a right-angle lever similar to the governor linkages.  Attach the spring to the new lever and allow the lever to rest against the existing spring attach point in the "run" position.  The other arm of the lever goes to the left and has a cable that goes down to the solenoid.  You can add a spring to pull it up at that point, if needed.

Please excuse the crudity of my drawing.

I'd would also vote for keeping it fail-safe such that if the solenoid power fails, a wire breaks, or anything mechanical breaks it shuts off.
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.