Alert...Massive Earthquake in Japan...Tsunami alert to the Pacific!!!..

Started by Shipo, March 11, 2011, 07:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbryner

OK, I correct myself.   The diesel generators didn't fail because of flooding from what I understand now.
JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

"The 2nd Amendment is the RESET button of the US Constitution"

billswan

I am also not trying to stir up a fight but the reactors in japan save

Japan 238K barrels/day fuel oil equivalent. Not to sure how they would replace that much power.

Do the oil wells on earth and the refineries in that part of the world have the capacity to carry the load.

Billswan
16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

Crofter

Here is a link to information about the nuclear generating industry secrecy culture in Japan and comparison of plant characteristics with Chernobyl and Three Mile Island.

http://theautomaticearth.blogspot.com/2011/03/march-13-2011-how-black-is-japanese.html

The generating capacity loss is going to have recovery implications. Japans debt is the worlds highest at 200% of GDP. They had a very full plate of problems before this calamity dumped on them.
Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5

LowGear

deeiche

BioHazard

Quote from: Shipo on March 13, 2011, 06:45:52 AM
[ ;D ;D ;D....Done since 1972, two reactor and waiting for the approved to built  two more, Turkey Point.....
The plant was built to withstand winds of up to 235 mph (380 km/h), greatly exceeding the maximum winds recorded by category 5 hurricanes.
*sigh* Kinda like how the Japanese plant was built to withstand earthquakes and tsunamis huh?  ::)

I don't understand why we can't have enourmous nuclear power plants located in the nevada desert where they already drop tested nukes. I don't know of any natural disasters that happen there? And who cares if a little radiation leaks....the soil alread glows out there....
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

LowGear

Nuclear Generation Stations are safe and should be located down town NYC and LA.  Or they're not and shouldn't be.

Casey

rcavictim

Quote from: BioHazard on March 13, 2011, 10:34:55 PM

I don't understand why we can't have enourmous nuclear power plants located in the nevada desert where they already drop tested nukes. I don't know of any natural disasters that happen there? And who cares if a little radiation leaks....the soil alread glows out there....

It is because a significant investment would have to be made, and jobs created to build a national power grid to distribute this and also the new renewable energy that could then come along if such a grid were available, but the powers that should be doing this are instead preferring to spend that borrowed money to gift wall street banksters obscene bonuses for their exemplary work in destroying the economy.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

deeiche

mike90045

QuoteThe plant was built to withstand winds of up to 235 mph (380 km/h), greatly exceeding the maximum winds recorded by category 5 hurricanes.

Foundations built to 80MPH ?

LowGear

I wrote a pretty good rant but realized it was too political.  At this point I fall back to Pogo:

"We Have Met The Enemy And He Is Us."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogo_%28comic_strip%29

I'd like you to look at this chart and think about NET costs and Capital Asset Accumulation.  Remember that Social Security is paid for out of payroll taxes as is much of Medicare.  Now who is the biggest elephant in the room?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fy2010_spending_by_category.jpg

Casey

Crofter

Quote from: deeiche on March 13, 2011, 05:20:09 PM
Quote from: Crofter on March 13, 2011, 12:42:28 PM
SNIP

The generating capacity loss is going to have recovery implications. Japans debt is the worlds highest at 200% of GDP. They had a very full plate of problems before this calamity dumped on them.
Interesting thing about Japanese debt is, the people of Japan own it.  The Japanese people save so much they are also the largest holders of US Debt, after which comes the Chinese.

Holding debt is worth zilch if it is unpayable or you are able to find someone daft enough to buy it from you. If it comes to the real crunch so is fiat money. It would not surprise me to discover that a lot of entities that are letting their debts roll up are not concerned because they expect to default. Time for a big debt killing jubilee!
Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5

deeiche

LowGear

QuoteOne of these days I fully expect the US Gov't to trade our military technology to the debt holders for debt forgiveness.
We sell stuff to the Saudi Royal Family because we admire their form of government?  Their respect for human rights?

I've got this feeling that this quagmire in Japan is going to haunt the planet somewhat like the Twin Towers.

Casey

Crofter

[quote author=deeiche
My comment was more aimed at the Japanese gov't high debt to GDP ratio.  They are responsible to no one but their own people, unlike the USA and it's debt.  One of these days I fully expect the US Gov't to trade our military technology to the debt holders for debt forgiveness.
[/quote]

Yes it is much safer to default on money owed to your own citizens! China might not see the humor in being stiffed

The nuclear incident in Japan will have a psychological effect on the world. Maybe a bit of thought will go into the idea that nuclear, too, is only a dangerous stop gap fix for our addiction to an unsustainable energy consumption lifestyle; we cannot forever keep on expending more energy than what the planet can tolerate. We already have borrowed disgracefully from future generations.
Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5