News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Nissan LEAF 100% electric car

Started by Henry W, March 09, 2011, 04:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BioHazard

This is why I have a "fleet" of vehicles, most of them worth 1/10th of the price of that Leaf, with minimum legal insurance. (high deductable and I get nothing if it's stolen) That way they are almost disposeable.  ;) I'd rather own ten $3,000 vehicles than one $30,000 vehicle...
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

LowGear

Hi BioHazard,

Remember when they used to have "Named Operator" liability.  "Cheap-ass cars forever" was the mantra but the expense of liability on every car today has reduced my fleet to five.  Well six if you count the pet in the garage.  The wonderful thing is that the one I paid the least for is now my most valuable vehicle.

Casey

deeiche

rm /

BioHazard

They've actually eased up just a bit here in OR...now if the vehicle is more than 25 years old we can apply for "permanent" registration, just one plate on the back that never expires. Now I don't have to re-register the "ghost fleet" all the time!

I was cleaning some papers out of my '73 that have basically been in there forever...I found a JC Penny insurance card from 1983?, something like $60 for a whole year of full coverage.  :o ;D ::)

LowGear

Hi again BioHazard,

You might take a moment and read the restrictions that are tied to the "old guys" registration.  Washington has as many restrictions as do the collector and antique car insurance policies.  My mini cost less than $100 a year to cover but I better be on the way to a parade, shop or parts house if I do something stupid.

Casey

BioHazard

Quote from: LowGear on March 14, 2011, 03:16:13 PM
My mini cost less than $100 a year to cover but I better be on the way to a parade, shop or parts house if I do something stupid.

It's always a parade when I'm driving!  ;D Maybe I should hire a clown to stand in the back of my bed and throw candy....

They also allow the special registration on "race" vehicles, with fewer restrictions on use as long as you stay under 55mph on the street. Not hard to call just about anything a "race car"....I think me and my friends racing in the parking lot would qualify. A few of my pickups aren't geared to go much faster than 55 anyway!  :D

BioHazard

Now this is interesting...that would be cool with a Changfa or even completely electric powered!
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-250-cc-3-Wheeler-Scooter-4-Stroke-Water-Cooled-13HP-/220737585377?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3364fc40e1
Much more insureable....

Randybee1

Quote from: LowGear on March 14, 2011, 03:16:13 PM
Hi again BioHazard,

You might take a moment and read the restrictions that are tied to the "old guys" registration.  Washington has as many restrictions as do the collector and antique car insurance policies.  My mini cost less than $100 a year to cover but I better be on the way to a parade, shop or parts house if I do something stupid.

Casey

I drive 3 different vehicles with historic tags. I always keep a spare part in my trunk. If I get stopped by the cops, and I did once.. I say.."I'm on my way to the auto parts store or junkyard because I'm trying to size up that part I have in my trunk!"  Randy B

deeiche

rm /

cognos

I wouldn't touch that Chinese scooter with a ten foot pole!

I've ridden the Bombardier product it is copied from - and it has very agressive and sophisticated stability control and anti-lock brake software on-board to make it safe! Without that software, single- wheel rear-drive trikes are tippy and tail-happy!

My brother bought a Chinese knock-off of a Honda dirt bike for his son... it looked exactly the same... the cables for the brakes broke almost immediately... various welds broke, the transmission locked up... the whole bike was junk, and didn't last the summer... ya. it was cheap - but it cost an extra $5 to take it to the dump...

Back to electric vehicles... I question the battery life and efficiency in a cold climate.

My wife has a Honda Fit - $16,000, has a ton of room, drives like a go-cart, seats four adults comfortably, and she gets 50 mpg... and can stop at any station for gas. Where you gonna stop for some electrons - if you're not staying overnight?

rcavictim

Quote from: BioHazard on March 15, 2011, 01:10:30 AM
Now this is interesting...that would be cool with a Changfa or even completely electric powered!
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-250-cc-3-Wheeler-Scooter-4-Stroke-Water-Cooled-13HP-/220737585377?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3364fc40e1
Much more insureable....

I wouldn't be caught dead in a picture of that.  Looks like a godamned snowmobile and that would make me look like an idiot.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

cognos

I must admit, the Bombardier Recrational Products/ CanAm Spyder - http://en-ca.spyder.brp.com/Home.aspx - does ;look like a snowmobile.

Crofter

My wifes friend has one. gets about half the mpg. I do with my VW diesel hatchback and costs about the same. I agree with RCAV. I would be ashamed to be seen on such an obviously useless, pathetic, identity symbol.
Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5

LowGear

This style of unit seems pretty popular in Seattle.  Motorcycles and rain is more fun than some people want.  I thought the ones I saw had Harley power supplies?

I was thinking how easy it would be to pull this "body" off and put something like a Morgan body on.

I'm over silly.  Quite frankly my dear, I don't give a damn what other folks think.  If wasn't for those VW monster cars (everything is relative) and the like I'd ride one of these readily and pay the much cheaper insurance.  How about we stick a small diesel in one while we're changing the body to something with a little less fufu?  13 HP with electric shouldn't be that tricky. 

I wonder when the ambitious will start striping out the first Honda hybrids and building "their" dreams?  Does anyone build a diesel hybrid yet?

Casey

rcavictim

Quote from: LowGear on March 15, 2011, 12:37:26 PM
Does anyone build a diesel hybrid yet?

Casey

I may.  Got too many other irons in the fire right now to take care of first.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.