News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

EPA to Regulate Dairy Milk Spills as per Oil Spills

Started by Henry W, March 04, 2011, 08:48:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobile_bob

back in '73 while working on a dairy farm i was responsible for a rather large spill, approximately 300 gallons of whole milk right from the teat
went down the drain and across the farm drive and down the road.

it was horrible! 

it ran right past the bunk house, and for a few days smelled really bad, drew all sorts of black flies and was generally a real pain.

had the epa been on top of milk spills back then i might just now be getting out of prison.

what a bunch of shit!

i think the epa is "cowaphobic"  they don't don't like the methane farts, they don't like manure runoff into streams, now they don't like milk spills.

is there anything about a cow they do like?

bob g

rl71459

vdubnut62

The Bastards are 'probly  all effing vegetarians. You can fix ignorant, but you can't fix stupid. The stupid SOB's.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Henry W

I remember in some states have a law that 2 gallons of fuel or oil is considered a spill. The next time I am in a super market and I see 2 gallons of milk spill I will do my duty and call it in to the EPA and let them know there is a spill in aisle 7 ;D

Henry

mbryner

What's wrong w/ vegetarians?  Them's fightin' words!  :)   Meat isn't the best protein source, BTW, and most people get way too much protein in their diets.   Vegans can get a little strange due to occasional fanatacs, but for the most part even a vegan diet is healthier than the typical American diet.   A lacto-ovo veg diet (going easy on the cheese & eggs) is the healthiest you can get.   Anyways, carry on.....
JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

"The 2nd Amendment is the RESET button of the US Constitution"

Tom Reed

Better yet, as a firefighter with hazmat training, spill a couple of gallons on the freeway and I can shut it down. Kind of scary, but would be a good demonstration of the idiocy of the law!
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

Tom T

Veggies are good for one thing only salads.:)  with lots of dressing. Tom T

AdeV

I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to eat lettuce!
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

cognos

A large spill of milk will kill your municipal sewage treatment plant. It will kill fish in a stream. Your taxes pay for these problems to be remedied.
A *tiny* amount of spilled fuel can poison a water well. Care to be be on the hook for a new, uncontaminated residential well? How about a municipal well? Without regulation and accountability, your taxes would be higher. Now, at least the offender has to pay. The days of pouring used motor oil down the sewer grate are long over. Thank god.
A few years ago, excess, uncontained manure runoff into a poorly maintained municipal well in Walkerton, Ontario, was a contributor to the deaths of 6 people, and illness in hundreds, due to improper treatment of the contaminated water. Just like in thr space shuttle "disasters", many things went wrong in the fault tree that no one ever thought could happen, and people died, now all of Ontario pays the price for tighter regulations around runoff, well service, and water teatment...

There has to be some rules, and penalties. Modern society demands it, so some level of government ends up with the responsibility for regulation and enforcement.

If you're out in the boonies, and you contaminate your own well and soil with bad practices, well, that's not good either, is it?

I personally applaud such measures. Without them, it would be the wild west out there... I've seen it, and I've seen the aftermath, and I know what cleanup and remediation costs...

vdubnut62

Ok , sorry for stepping on toes et al. We use spoiled milk for fertilizer around here, spray it and disk it in, high nitrogen content.
I fill my used milk jugs with water and use it on flowers and veggies in the garden. I suppose a large enough spill COULD be a problem,
but it biodegrades pretty quickly, not like oil.
Sorry I'm ignorant and just don't get it.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Crofter

Cognos, I think some people know that regulation is necessary in todays crowded space,  but just like to piss and moan about the evils of government!

I used to be a certified septic system installer and I can tell you that now the scope of todays regulations are a hundred times more complex. I have had experience in dealing with hazard spill remediation and the cost of putting the genii back in the bottle is mind boggling.

Agricultural runoff causes a lot of disease treatment chemicals and hormones to get into the food chain.  They might have been used on animals but they also screw around with human immune and reproductive functions. If there were not a penalty for releasing contaminants, dairies, abbatoirs, feed lots etc. that showed unacceptably high cell counts would just conveniently have a spill instead of doing the proper disposal. I know human nature all too well to expect responsible behavior without significant penalties. I guess though if serious enough events knocked the population back to what it was several hundred years ago, the good times would return.  :-\

Interesting in India how a drug used to treat animals happened to be highly damaging to vultures and virtually wiped them out.
Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5

WGB

Geno

Quote from: Crofter on March 04, 2011, 06:26:41 PM
snip
Interesting in India how a drug used to treat animals happened to be highly damaging to vultures and virtually wiped them out.

Never heard of that. A quick check says their numbers went from 40 million to 60,000 in less than 30 years. If true, it's a real crash to an important, but ugly bird.

http://ecolocalizer.com/2009/07/24/indias-vulture-population-has-plummeted-from-40-million-to-60000-poisoned-by-drug-diclofenac/

http://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=indian+vulture+decline&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS308US308&ie=UTF-8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_White-rumped_Vulture

http://www.birdlife.org/action/science/species/asia_vulture_crisis/diclofenac.html

As far as the milk thing is concerned, I'll wait and see.

Newt Gingrich recently suggested major changes to the EPA.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Newt+Gingrich+epa&hl=&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS308US308&ie=UTF-8

Thanks, Geno

BioHazard

Quote from: cognos on March 04, 2011, 02:47:40 PM
There has to be some rules, and penalties. Modern society demands it, so some level of government ends up with the responsibility for regulation and enforcement.

I agree completely, but when you live in a supposedly "free" country, those regulations need to end somewhere. I think we can all agree that the US and Canada both have regulations about all sorts of things that are simply stupid and nothing else.

I think the EPA needs more checks and balances. They seem to have run amuck. They are costing our economy great amounts of money. We never get to vote on the rules they make. Sounds like China...
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?