News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Hybrid type vehicles and drive systems

Started by LowGear, February 25, 2011, 10:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowGear

WOW Biohazard,

Now that sounds like a really neat project.  Are there any websites you've found particularly helpful in this program.  Is there anyplace on this site this would fit?

Casey

BioHazard

Quote from: LowGear on February 25, 2011, 10:15:20 PM
WOW Biohazard,

Now that sounds like a really neat project.  Are there any websites you've found particularly helpful in this program.  Is there anyplace on this site this would fit?

Casey

Mostly just stuff I pulled out of my ass.  ;D I'm going to mount a motor like this to an outboard lower unit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/48-Volt-DC-Motor-Etek-MT-Pattern-PM-/250777797249?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a63858281
Briggs and Stratton made a 3hp electric outboard but they wanted more than $2000 and I think they are discontinued now.

With the generator and batteries I'll have the option of silent running or longer range when the batteries die. It's gonna be a long trip up to Canada to get some Changfas... ;D

It would be kinda nice if we had a section of this website dedicated to hybrid type vehicles and drive systems.
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

Henry W

You know guys I have been thinking.

What if you use two or more of those motors in a small car. 20 hp of electric motors make lots of torque. it would be easy to hook two, three of four motors together with a cog belt system.

Unless electric automotive motors can be purchased someplace at a reasonable price.

Henry

BioHazard

Quote from: hwew on February 26, 2011, 04:13:30 AM
You know guys I have been thinking.

What if you use two or more of those motors in a small car. 20 hp of electric motors make lots of torque. it would be easy to hook two, three of four motors together with a cog belt system.

I'm waiting for pictures.  ;)

Henry W

Henry W

put that setup in a mini pickup with some bateries in the front and the rest in the back of the bed with a generator in the back to run extended range.

Just thinking, That is what gets me in trouble. ::)

Henry

Henry W

This is Biohazard's post that started this topic.

Henry

Quote from: veggie on February 25, 2011, 02:16:23 PM
Biohazard,

Here's a 4kw generator I built for my father using a 10HP Launtop.
Performs very well. Seems to be a very reliable diesel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXy6uQBj7YY

veggie

Nice work! Should be able to pull 5kw right?

I'm actually building a hybrid drive system for my boat, hoping to use a 5kw ST head to charge a 48v battery bank connected to a 10hp electric outboard... :)

LowGear

Well Henry,

My mantra of toys is "Nice Stuff Costs More". 

Hey BioHazard,

I had to put rubber boots on my computer while I read through the sales pitch on those 48 Volters.  I thought outboards relied on the engine/trannys bottom main to stabilize the top of the drive shaft?  Have you ever priced the upper end electric outboards?   :o $,$$$.$$ :o

Now one on each axle of something like a older Honda CRV or Suzuki AWDs would be neat.  And Henry's pick-up (I'm thinking VW.).  But we're still stuck with either a half ton plus of batteries or a quarter ton of money for super-duper batteries like in the T Rex electric.

Right now I'm stymied on my ATV as I've hidden the final drive sprocket so it wouldn't get lost and that was more than 45 minutes ago.  And then yesterday I couldn't remember my server password.  The hint was "dwarfs squared".  RedDwarf49 was the only thing I could think of.  ???

Casey

BioHazard

Quote from: LowGear on February 26, 2011, 03:21:36 PM
I thought outboards relied on the engine/trannys bottom main to stabilize the top of the drive shaft?

Yeah, at least a lot of the larger outboards use the bottom main as the bearing for the top of the shaft. I don't think they are all that way though. If not maybe an extra bearing can be fit? I'm not sure yet. I have a trashed Mercury outboard powerhead with a good crank, maybe I can just saw the bottom few inches of the engine off and use it as an adapter.  :)

I've been wanting to do the "car" thing for a long time now, I can't justify the cost of the batteries and a much bigger motor. I guess I don't drive enough. I have a Jeep Cherokee that has been sitting out back for a couple years, I would love to attach an electric motor to the front axle, and leave the engine attached to the rear wheels. Then power all the engine accessories from the batteries and turn it off every time you slow down. I bet I could get at least 35mpg in town and still have 4WD and the capacity to tow and comfortably carry 5 people + gear when I need it.

I plan on being buried in my 9mpg Chevy though.  ;)

BioHazard

Quote from: hwew on February 26, 2011, 07:20:41 AM
put that setup in a mini pickup with some bateries in the front and the rest in the back of the bed with a generator in the back to run extended range.

Now I really wonder...would it be legal to run dyed/untaxed diesel in that setup?!  :o

mobile_bob

no it would not be legal to run non taxed diesel, the generator is used to provide for power to propel the vehicle
on public roads, then it needs to pay the road tax just like it would if it were going straight into a diesel pickup tank.

bob g

BioHazard

Quote from: mobile_bob on February 27, 2011, 04:27:34 AM
no it would not be legal to run non taxed diesel, the generator is used to provide for power to propel the vehicle
on public roads, then it needs to pay the road tax just like it would if it were going straight into a diesel pickup tank.

bob g
What if you let it charge in the parking lot while you're in buying groceries?  :D That's basically like a truck APU...

Henry W

What is wrong with that? It might draw some attention and you might get some other people intrested in getting one built. And if you start getting buyers than it is time to go in business. 8)

Henry

RogerAS

I like the ideal of using the frame from a small pickup, like a Ranger or S-10, but those bodies are a waste of areo and weight. The batteries will weigh enough, and I know removing the old engine will offset this somewhat, but every pound off the tires is a good thing with such a vehicle. Still the frame from one of those trucks would be stout and able to handle the battery load.

Air rolling resistance is a big deal. The lower the better. I learned all about that riding a motor bike across the country! Perhaps one could replace the cab/bed with something really slippery, like a Miata or that little Pontiac mid-engine Fiero they made in the 80's?.

Combine that with low roll resistant tires and the project starts to work. Heck, what about those old VW fiberglass kits that were feathers?

Mount solar panels on the hood, roof and rear deck to help keep the batteries happy. Full sun all day in a parking lot could really pump some electrons.

That's my $.02!

R

LowGear

The nice thing about units with independent suspension or open axles is that you could put a motor on each axle and then fire turn them on as more horsepower was needed or off as efficiency became the goal.  No tranny, differentials, drive shafts and a few other bits to make room for the battery load.

Boats really make the most sense to me.  Of course, those of us in the new world seem to live in a stop or full speed ahead world.  I wonder what speed the pumps turn at in a Jet Ski?

Casey