Kubota D1005 3-cylinder diesel, direct drive 1800 RPM generator project

Started by Henry W, February 19, 2011, 05:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobile_bob

if your going to put in a new tank, what could it hurt to call around to find out what it would cost
to coat the insides?

being a new tank, the radiator shop will not have to soak and clean out a bunch of rust and crap, so i
would expect they could do it for you quite reasonably.

may never be needed, however who knows what is in our future, maybe next year we are under martial law and you are reduced to siphoning fuel out of a locomotive late at night!  in which case maybe
the coated tank will protect any acid issues from eating your tank.

just sayin

bob g

vdubnut62

FWIW we do the antique tractor pull thing, and quite a few of the tanks are really bad with rust & pinholes etc.  The tanks are coated inside with Redcote  (sp?)
at least the Radiator shop here uses it. My Son in Law's  gas Farmall has had the stuff come loose inside the tank and stop everything up, making quite a mess.
On the other hand, my old diesel  410 Deere backhoe has been holding with Redcote for about 5 years now with no issues.  The same rad shop did both tanks.
Could it be an issue with ethanol?  Just my 2 cents.
There are other tank sealing products available, some are 2 part, I assume maybe Epoxy?
Ron.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

highwater

so I don't have to remember where i wrote it down.

generally speaking on the following:

1.0 liters = .03531466ft³
1000 liters = 35.315ft³
1800rpm = 1800lpm = 63.567ft³
1ft³ = 1000btu
100ft³ NG =1 therm = 100,000btu
1gal diesel = 139,000btu
NG therms x 1.39 = diesel btu
diesel btu x .72 = NG therms

Rnadall

highwater

Got some time for some pics.

Note Henrys superior packaging in the backgorund. ;D

Haven't located a shop yet, to do the coating on the inside of the new fuel tank.

Randall

highwater

Should fit nicely in the frame.
The fill port will be out in front of the radiator.

Sure is hard to get a good detail picture of shiny aluminum in the bright sunlight.

Randall

highwater

The guy at the local salvage sits aside some things he thinks might interest me.

Got a couple of possibles for a control cabinet.
One is a little big. It is the cabinet off a machine tool.
Other is a little too small, but nice.
Price is right and the exchange policy is the best. Just take it back and throw it on the pile.

Randall

highwater

About have the motor mounts finished.
Building them at work so can't take pictures till I get them home.

Murphy gauges should be shipping this week.
One of them was back order until 9-25, so I told them to hold and ship all at the same time.

Randall

Henry W

Quote from: highwater on September 22, 2012, 03:24:08 PM

Note Henrys superior packaging in the backgorund.

Randall

Thanks Randall,

Here are some pictures I took just in case a claim had to be made out if the genset got damaged during shipping.

I did not take any pictures of the frame. If they mishandled the frame chances were the frame could of damaged the equipment and/or hurt the operator that was moving it.

Henry

highwater

I have been searching for a spare AVR for this genset.
Here's what I found.

Basler branded replacement AVC63-4A from Marathon via email query and reply : instock at 720.00USD :'(

Basler branded replacement from General Power Miami 373.00USD internet search
http://www.dieselgeneratorsmiami.com/generalpower_parts/basler-avc-series/796/basler-electric-avc63-4a-avr-automatic-voltage-regulator.html

McPherson Controls SSC63-4A (spec sheet reads nearly word-4-word) 199.95USD
http://mts.delcoro.com/shop.cfm?cat_main=1&cat_sub=3 via internet search.

Never heard from 2 of the Generator/parts suppliers that you would recognize (via email query). yet

Central Georgia Generator via email query 69.00USD: ;D
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150846878004&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Chris indicates it should work just fine. Got one ordered.

Will install it early on, and if all is well, leave it in.
Put the original on the shelf for spare.

Randall

highwater

Been getting a little work done on the genset.
The last of the backordered Murphy gauges should be here mid January.
Found a NEMA cabinet for all the controls, so those from the scrap yard have been nixxed.

Took some pictures of the feet/wheels.
I have several mobility options in my head.
This generator may see some off site use, as I have family around the state.
If some of them should have a power outage it will be easy to load on a trailer and head out.
If I have to move it around in the shop, then I will have some options for moving it around by myself.
No overhead mobile hoist in the shop. Just a chain hoist.

Been building the motor mounts.
Ready to weld them up. Then I'll mount them to the engine, and make sure of everything before I drill all the holes in the frame.

With the wheel mounts in the up position the wheel do not make contact with the floor.
Pull the pin and rotate 90 degrees and the wheels will be lower than the frame and the unit can be rolled.
The holes in the top are 1.25 inch, so any clevis should be able to be used.

highwater

still have to drill holes for the pins in the frame.
Those are pretty nice wheels from SC. I think they were 9 or10 bucks.
Have a nice Fafnir USA bearing on both sides.
The through holes are 17mm.
I wanted the largest diameter shoulder bolt that was possible for the axles, so I ordered 3/4 bolts and turned them down to 17mm.
This way I could get the 5/8 thread on the end of the axle.
I could have put bushings in the bearings and used a smaller bolt,without having to turn them down, but that would have given me 1/2 x 13 threads on the end of the bolt.
I wanted more ;D

highwater

rotation pic

on the front end this will allow me to pull it up on the tilt trailer with an electric winch

highwater

welded on the inside of the 3.5 square tubing so the whole thing would shoulder up against the 4 inch tubing on the frame

Henry W

What a great setup. I have to remember this with the 30Kw project coming up in the future.

Henry

RJ

Let us know how the AVR works. I have the same head on my D905, and I would like to keep a spare as well.

Randy