Kubota D1005 3-cylinder diesel, direct drive 1800 RPM generator project

Started by Henry W, February 19, 2011, 05:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcavictim

Quote from: hwew on February 21, 2012, 09:17:11 PM
The engine cannot be purchased from the Kubota dealer. It has to be sent to Kubota Manufacturing to be destroyed.

Henry

Gee, where's a cop when you need one?!  That don't sound like performance to me!  Sounds like a small crime against humanity.  This is the broken window thesis again.  That's absolutely what the 'cash for clunkers' program was.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Henry W

It's ok, I will find another parts engine someday. I don't think I have to worry anytime soon about wearing out parts on the D1005.

It was hard to hear that it had to get scrapped but that is the law and for now we just have to accept this is the way it will be.

Henry

vdubnut62

See, I TOLD everyone that we have the very Finest Government that money can buy! And not even one pat on the back........
Ron. ;D
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

rcavictim

Quote from: vdubnut62 on February 26, 2012, 09:31:35 PM
See, I TOLD everyone that we have the very Finest Government that money can buy! And not even one pat on the back........
Ron. ;D

Ron,

You shud know that this is pretty much a DIY forum.  :D
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

vdubnut62

Quote from: rcavictim on February 27, 2012, 04:56:20 AM
Ron. ;D

Ron,

You shud know that is is pretty much a DIY forum.  :D

Darn near dislocated my shoulder....
Ron.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

rcavictim

Quote from: vdubnut62 on February 27, 2012, 05:18:33 PM
Quote from: rcavictim on February 27, 2012, 04:56:20 AM
Ron. ;D

Ron,

You shud know that this is pretty much a DIY forum.  :D

Darn near dislocated my shoulder....
Ron.

If you want anything done right nowadaze you can pretty much bet you will have to do it yourself.  Sometimes minor injuries are the cost we must bear.  I have found that patting myself on the back helps keep my upper body toned and flexible. 

No I haven't, that was just a bold faced lie.  ;D

Henry W

Time to do another test run soon. I am waiting for a 95+ day so I can see how the Genset will handle full load. I think it will do fine.

Henry

Henry W

I forgot to mention that I did a test run on the genset this afternoon and it did great in the hot weather. I feel this completes the testing for the genset.

Now for some news:
I decided to switch over to propane to generate backup power so the generator is now listed for sale.
Here is the link: http://www.microcogen.info/index.php?topic=2786.msg31592#msg31592

I hope to get my new project going soon. The good thing is I have a complete Ford LRG-425 powerpack and the only major expense will be a single bearing genhead rated around 30Kw. I hope to get this project going soon.

Henry

highwater

The Kubota 1800 rpm build in this thread, will continue  ;D

Randall

highwater

The little genset is closer to its new home.
Got it sitting on my trailer.

Couple of notes briefly.

Henry's picture of the base weldment doesn't do it justice.

Henry gave this stuff to the freight line on Tuesday afternoon. East Coast.
It was sitting in OK City at 4AM on Thursday morn. That's kinda amazing to me.
It takes me 12 hrs just to get to Nashville using I-40. ;D
Randall

highwater

I think Henry mentioned his intentions, in one of our phone conversations, to make the base into the fuel tank.
By welding in an appropriate thickness flat panel top and bottom.

Going that route, I would consider coating the inside, with one of the tank sealer products that is available.
Before getting fuel in it, and then finding a pin hole.

Any experience or preference with these sealers from the group? 

Randall

mobile_bob

yes!

take it to a big truck/equipment radiator shop, they have the large tanks to
chemical dip to assure the thing is clean enough to assure adhesion, and they hav
the commercial grade sealers needed to do a good job... their price is generally
reasonable for a tank such as yours that isn't full of sludge and crap that pollutes their
dip tank.

remember when you plate both side, either have them rolled with ribs or put a rod
in from the top the the bottom plate to keep the two from "oil canning" which will end
up causing cracks down the road.

as far as sealing the radiator shop is definitely the way to go, i can't imagine you would save 20 bucks doing it yourself and likely would have a better job done by them.

somethings just make sense to use the professional services of others.

my opinion only

bob g

highwater

thanks bob,
I like the pro job idea better.
I remember the oil canning discussion from around here somewhere. I'll take a pic of my intentions before welding it up.

Some calculations:   not including the thickness of the top and bottom plates
inside the frame inches: 20 x 42.5 x 10 = 8500cu / 61 cuin per liter= 139 liters / 3.785 liters per gal = 36.8 gal
from the tables in the back of the Machinery's Handbook.

Randall

mobile_bob

thats a lot of fuel, don't want any leaks huh?

looking forward to seeing your project come together

bob g

Henry W

Quote from: highwater on August 15, 2012, 02:39:02 AM
I think Henry mentioned his intentions, in one of our phone conversations, to make the base into the fuel tank.
By welding in an appropriate thickness flat panel top and bottom.

Going that route, I would consider coating the inside, with one of the tank sealer products that is available.
Before getting fuel in it, and then finding a pin hole.

Any experience or preference with these sealers from the group? 

Randall

Hi Randall,

My thinking was to build a fuel thank that will drop down and rest on the crossmembers. I was going to use 1/4" rubber sheets to protect the tank. I was thinking about a 20 gallon fuel tank.

Henry