Kubota D1005 3-cylinder diesel, direct drive 1800 RPM generator project

Started by Henry W, February 19, 2011, 05:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcavictim

Sweet!  That trailer was perfect for this project.  I wonder why you did not keep the fuel tank that was part of the trailer though.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Henry W

The tank was rusting on some of the welded seams.
It will have another fuel tank put in place. Roughly 20 gallon replacement. It will be placed on the front half of the trailer. The reason is ease of oil changes and trailer balance. I would like to keep 100 lbs on the trailer tounge.

Henry

Henry W

The genset has about 5 hours on it so far. The rings seated fine The governor is fine the way it is.
The AVR work fine also. I was against having a genset with an AVR but after having one work properly I seem to like them. I have no problems running sensitive equipment.

I will be working on permanent mounts soon. After everything is fabricated The next thing will be painting. I still did not decide on the color for the trailer. I am wondering if I can get the trailer painted by Maaco for a cheap price?

I will post more when work is done on the project.

Things on the list:
Engine mounts
Trailer mounted fuel tank
Controller

Henry

Carlb

If you have the space and a cheap (harbor freight) spray gun you can just go to home depot and buy a quart of rustoleum  outdoor enamel paint and a quart of primer.  both will thin with acetone or odorless mineral spirits.  You can paint your trailer for less than 30 dollars in paint.   I have used this paint on snow blowers that i have refurbished and it works well.

Carl
My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

Henry W

Hi Carl,

I need to look into that. It's been a while since I sprayed with a gun. I might be able to find a good setup on craigslist.

Thanks,

Henry

rcavictim

Quote from: Carlb on September 01, 2011, 05:16:07 AM
If you have the space and a cheap (harbor freight) spray gun you can just go to home depot and buy a quart of rustoleum  outdoor enamel paint and a quart of primer.  both will thin with acetone or odorless mineral spirits.  You can paint your trailer for less than 30 dollars in paint.   I have used this paint on snow blowers that i have refurbished and it works well.

Carl

I wouldn't use acetone as a thinner for spraying enamel paint.  It will cause a refrigerative cooling and moisture condensing effect as it comes out of the nozzle which will cause airborn moisture to get caught up in the applied paint.  This causes milkiness in clear coatings and causes problems with drying and surface finish.  I have found it impossible to spray clear lacquer under highly humid conditions for this reason since lacquer, especially that thinned with lacquer thinner is very volatile and gets right frosty out of the gun.  Your job will be milky and won't clear up as it dries.  For the Rustoleum I'd just go with standard paint thinner, naptha or xylene as a viscosity reducer for spraying.  Best to read the label for manufacturer's recommendations!
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Henry W

Thanks for bringing this up rcavictim.

That is exactly what happened to a paint job I did about 10 years ago. It was very humid and the clear coat turned milky.

It will be getting less humid soon so it looks like good painting weather will be around the corner.

Carlb

Quote from: rcavictim on September 01, 2011, 07:40:26 PM
Quote from: Carlb on September 01, 2011, 05:16:07 AM
If you have the space and a cheap (harbor freight) spray gun you can just go to home depot and buy a quart of rustoleum  outdoor enamel paint and a quart of primer.  both will thin with acetone or odorless mineral spirits.  You can paint your trailer for less than 30 dollars in paint.   I have used this paint on snow blowers that i have refurbished and it works well.

Carl

I wouldn't use acetone as a thinner for spraying enamel paint.  It will cause a refrigerative cooling and moisture condensing effect as it comes out of the nozzle which will cause airborn moisture to get caught up in the applied paint.  This causes milkiness in clear coatings and causes problems with drying and surface finish.  I have found it impossible to spray clear lacquer under highly humid conditions for this reason since lacquer, especially that thinned with lacquer thinner is very volatile and gets right frosty out of the gun.  Your job will be milky and won't clear up as it dries.  For the Rustoleum I'd just go with standard paint thinner, naptha or xylene as a viscosity reducer for spraying.  Best to read the label for manufacturer's
recommendations!

The Manufacturer's recommendations are either acetone or odorless mineral spirits.  I like to use odorless mineral spirits in the warm/hot weather and if it is cool and dry acetone.  I only thin to a max of 10% and have never had a problem using acetone in cool weather.   I do agree with you on high humidity and milky appearance with lacquer paints and thinners.  I never paint in humid conditions.

Carl
My Projects

Tom Reed

I just used one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-air-paint-spray-gun-97855.html to paint my tractor. For the outrageous sum of $17.99 you can almost afford to throw it away when you're done.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

Carlb

My Projects

squarebob

GM90 6/1, 7.5 ST head, 150 Amp 24V Leece Neville, Delco 10si
Petter AA1 3.5 HP, 75 Amp 24V Leece Neville
2012 VW Sportwagen TDI, Average 39.1 MPG

Carlb

My Projects

rcavictim

Quote from: Tom on September 02, 2011, 10:44:24 AM
I just used one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-air-paint-spray-gun-97855.html to paint my tractor. For the outrageous sum of $17.99 you can almost afford to throw it away when you're done.

I bought that same model from Princess Auto and have used it for many years.  It was the gun I used to paint my wind turbine for example.  I am very pleased with it.  So much so that when it recently came on sale with the smaller touch-up gun that I also use from them as a two guns in one package deal I figured I'd better have a spare of each so I shelled out the big $25. and now sleep better at night knowing that I have backups for my spray guns.  :)  I remember that 20-25 years ago you just could not buy a spray gun of this quality for less than a couple of hundred bucks.

Henry W

Wow, I need to look into a spray gun. I also remember that a good quality spray gun was around $200.00.

A question, What would you painters recommend, Gravity Feed or Siphon Feed?

Henry

rcavictim

Quote from: hwew on September 02, 2011, 06:07:03 PM
Wow, I need to look into a spray gun. I also remember that a good quality spray gun was around $200.00.

A question, What would you painters recommend, Gravity Feed or Siphon Feed?

Henry

That gravity feed gun doesn't look like it would be too happy working held sideways and I do that while I'm painting around complex shapes and structures sooooo, get the siphon feed like the one shown in my post.  You need several CFM at 40-60 PSI.