Kubota D1005 3-cylinder diesel, direct drive 1800 RPM generator project

Started by Henry W, February 19, 2011, 05:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry W

I will start assembling very soon. I need to paint the generator end Kubota blue before mounting it. The deep oil sump will be installed. Total capacity is around 5-1/2 quarts. I also matched a larger capacity filter. It has the same micron filtering and bypass pressure.

I hope to have it running by June.

Henry

Henry W

I just got the deep sump pick up tube for the Kubota D1005 3000-3600 rpm engine. compared to the deep sump 1800 rpm D1005 pickup tube it has twice filter screen area. This is good. I would of never guessed there would be a differance.
Henry

veggie

Henry,

That's a really nice engine.
Very good quality.
At 1800 rpm, it should out live the average human lifespan. :D
Does it have DI or IDI heads ?

veggie

Henry W

Hi Veggie,

Thanks, I was lucky finding it. An application engineer at Kubota mentioned to me that he seen these engines with over 40,000 hours on the clock running at 1800 RPM. So I expect it to last a long time.

The engine is an IDI.

I am looking for Kubota blue engine paint so I can match the generator end to the engine.
It is also time to start building the frame to mount everything. I still have much to do but it will get done.

Henry

RJ

Quote from: hwew on May 03, 2011, 03:11:32 PM

I am looking for Kubota blue engine paint so I can match the generator end to the engine.
It is also time to start building the frame to mount everything. I still have much to do but it will get done.

Henry

Henry, you are moving faster then I am for sure. I still haven't uncrated my generator head.  ::) Before I got it I was looking for the correct paint for it as well. I ran across this site that lists the part numbers for Kubota paint:

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/2008/10/kubota-paint-part-numbers-where-to-apply-and-how-much/

Henry W

Hi RJ,

The Kubota dealer near me has the Kubota Engine Blue spray paint in stock. The link you posted has the correct part number. (Which is 70000-00197)

You need to get going on your project also. :) Huricane season is approaching us here on the east coast and you never know what might hit here.

Henry

RJ

Quote from: hwew on May 05, 2011, 02:56:32 PM
Hi RJ,

The Kubota dealer near me has the Kubota Engine Blue spray paint in stock. The link you posted has the correct part number. (Which is 70000-00197)

You need to get going on your project also. :) Huricane season is approaching us here on the east coast and you never know what might hit here.

Henry

Very good, I'll pick up a few cans. Thanks.

Not worried with Huricanes up here in Vermont, our issues is usually blizzards in the winter. Came home this February from Florida at 1:00 AM to 38" of snow on my driveway which is nearly 2000ft long, (yes about 1/3 of a mile) We get some very odd wind storms that are unique to our region, cause by some odd phenomenon that I don't pretend to fully understand other then something with the proximity to both the NY Adirondak's and the Vermont green mountains.  We had one last year that had us without power for 3 days last fall. The other major issue is the late spring snow storms. We had one last May that dumped a foot of HEAVY snow just when the tree's starting putting the leaves on. Lost power for 4 days then.

This spring the issues are flooding.

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/49193/serious-flooding-on-lake-champ.asp

We are used to snow.. but flooding is rare here. Luckily I'm 250 feet above the lake.

Are we the only two members who purchased one of these heads?

I have my D905 coupled directly to an ST-12 head currently. I'm not overly happy with the ST heads though.... and this head was the same price I paid for it. I also have a 24kw marathon head still in the shipping crate for a Deutz (former Lister) water cooled 2009 2.3l diesel that still hasn't been put together. I bought that when I lived in South Carolina and everything I had was electric including a 10kw electric backup heating element that was needed any time the temp got much below 40 outside. (Dam air heat pumps).

Needless to say I do plan on getting this done this summer as it's plenty of power for everything in my current house, well pump being the largest load and it's a Grundfos soft start pump.

-RJ

Henry W

Hi RJ,

As far as I know there are only three of us that have these generator heads.

I just got the can of paint from Kubota. It matches very well.as soon as I find some time I will be painting the head before it gets mounted to the housing.

Henry

gregger2k

Hey, I am number 3!
I had a ST10 direct coupled to a D905 but when this deal showed up I jumped on it.  I mounted the head up last week but do not have it wired up yet. It mounted up perfect but since it originally had a capacitor regulated pancake on it I am not surprised. I will post a couple of pictures when i get back in town this weekend.
Greg

Henry W

Hi Greg,

I can't wait to see the pictures.

Did you paint the Generator head?

Henry

gregger2k

No paint yet. To lazy!!
I did put several coats of spray varnish on all the interior windings just to be sure they were sealed up good. It's nice to see something come out of China built with quality!! I have no idea how many hours on my 905 but it starts great, no blowby, and runs clean. I can hardly wait to load test it. With the ST10 I got 6000 watts easy but that was all the load I had. I will try for the 7500 watts this time.
Greg

Henry W

I just got around to spray painting the genhead with Kubota Blue (Part # 70000-00197).

Since the genhead casting is aluminum and it was sprayed with primer from the factory. And my guess is the primer was etching primer or the casting was cleaned and treated so primer will stick on so I just wiped down the primer surface with a small amount of naptha on a rag. The paint went on with no problems and the color matches good.

Henry

RJ

Quote from: gregger2k on May 18, 2011, 01:09:50 AM
No paint yet. To lazy!!
I did put several coats of spray varnish on all the interior windings just to be sure they were sealed up good. It's nice to see something come out of China built with quality!! I have no idea how many hours on my 905 but it starts great, no blowby, and runs clean. I can hardly wait to load test it. With the ST10 I got 6000 watts easy but that was all the load I had. I will try for the 7500 watts this time.
Greg

I had a ST12 direct to a D905 and I pulled 8kw off it without a hitch.

Henry W

Well guys,
I came close to selling the uncompleted project. Then I started looking what you can get for the dollars and I can't come close so I am keeping it and started working on it again.

What gave me the idea of selling it was I was told that the Marathon generator head had only 1Kw or 2Kw of surge capacity. Well I called Marathon today and gave them the model and serial number of the generator head and I found out the Generator head has Starting Current Surge of 75 amps @ 240 volts. :o That works out to be 18,000 watts surge. That is more than I would of expected and this means I will be able to start the loads with no problem.

I ordered the Radiator Kit. If anyone is looking for radiator kits I would not put it off much longer. The price went up over $100.00 since I last priced them in February. I was lucky to find a brand new Copper/Brass Radiator Kit at a price cheaper than the newer Aluminum/Plastic Radiator kits.

More pictures will follow soon.

Henry

Henry W

I just opened the radiator kit and everything is in the kit except for the fasteners that mount the brackets to the block.