Kubota D1005 3-cylinder diesel, direct drive 1800 RPM generator project

Started by Henry W, February 19, 2011, 05:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry W

Ron,

Look at it as a good thing. You and quinnf had to get me moving.

Thanks,

Henry

Henry W

The correct air intake manifold is on and air cleaner mounted. Next purchases is muffler, starter and fuel filters.
It is going slower than expected but I'm getting close to mount the unit.

Henry

rcavictim

Damn, that almost looks as good as scratch DIY from junkyard parts!  ;)
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Henry W

Just got word that we have a possibility of getting hit by a huricane this weekend. Right now I am planning to mount everything on a wooden skid tomorrow.

Starter and muffler will be overnighted tomorrow.

I have a filter that will work for now and I will just run it directly from the 55 gallon drum.

I just finished assembling the electrical box for the generator head.

If everything goes right I should be able to do a test run Thursday.

Henry

rcavictim

Henry,

I think you should do a test run Thursday, provided everything goes right.  ;)
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Henry W

The fuel filter assembly, muffler assembly and starter will be here tomorrow afternoon. Cutting it close. If the storm tracks a little further west we will be hit hard. A catagory 3 could devistate this area. Lots of big tree's around the house. We are thinking of Bugging Out before it hits.

Henry

Tom Reed

Unfortunately bugging is sometimes the wisest course of action. Stay safe!
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

rcavictim

That storm is starting to kick up some dust on the news.  Some speculate NYC might even get dumped on hard with gulf oil and corexit! 

Having to evacuate to save lives and leave one's home and precious possessions behind to the whims of a monster storm is not an easy thing.  I vote you do whatever you have to do to stay alive.  Can you get help to board up the place before you leave if you decide to bug out?

Good luck!

Henry W

No I am not going to bother boarding up. I just don't have the strength right now since the Ablation Surgery I just had last Wednesday. My friendes are away and family is up north.  My main concern is two huge 4 ft dia. pine trees. and others. Any of these trees will cut the house in half. Hope for the best and if we do get hit hard we will have to rebuild. We are on a hill and not in a flood prone area so insurance will cover the damage.

Henry

Henry W

I am just about done modifying  the trailer that I had for my last generator project. The Genset will be mounted temperarily on the trailer. A matter of fact the modification is coming along so well that I am considering mounting the genset permanently on the trailer since this unit is for emergency standby.
The picture posted below is the trailer that is getting modified. Axle was moved 5-1/2" back tonight. There was lots of cutting and grinding so the brake assembly can be re-installed. The tank was removed because It did not look very safe. Is is rusting inside on some of the welds. For now I will feed the engine directly from the 55 gallon drum until I get the funds for a custom aluminum tank.

I can alway's use the welded frame for my Cogen project. That project will probably start this winter and needs to be permanently mounted anyways.

Henry

rcavictim

Nice.  How many gallons is that trailer?  Now there's a question you don't ask very often.  In fact I don't think I have ever asked that question before.

Henry W

The tank is 30 gallons. I am looking at a 20 gallon replacement.

Henry

Henry W

Just finished the trailer about ten min. ago. Time to mount the genset.

RJ

Looking excellent. Looking at your pics of the flywheel and SAE setup it looks like a I might have a 3600 RPM setup as well.... It's all boxed up in the crate from when I picked it up from the guy. Do you have the part numbers for the 1800 RPM setup so I can compare?

Looking excellent. Remember when I said on May 5th
QuoteNot worried with Huricanes up here in Vermont, our issues is usually blizzards in the winter....

Well I'm eating my words right now... It's looking like this thing is going to hit us pretty hard, I fully expect to loose power and I haven't even taken this setup out of the boxes yet.... Grrr. One of my  905's is still coupled to a ST-12 head so that is going to have to do for now....

-RJ

Henry W

I'll see what I can find. I will look on my spare 1800 rpm setup when I get a break. It probably won't happen untill I get the genset running.

Henry