Kubota D1005 3-cylinder diesel, direct drive 1800 RPM generator project

Started by Henry W, February 19, 2011, 05:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quinnf

Henry W

Well Ron and Q, your just going to have to hold it for another 5 or 6 days. ;D

I'll get pictures taken when my wife gets back from her buisness trip. :)

It has been so hot here that it is not pleasant working in the garage. I hope to get the genset mounted by next week. Than I am thinking about powder coating

Henry

piperpilot3tk

Henry, I think you would be far better off painting it with some of the Rustoleum Industrial paint that is sold at Lowes and Home Depot.  I used this on the cart for my Listeroid project and I was very impressed with the results.  Goes on easy with a brush and flows out to a smooth finish.  Dries quickly and hard as woodpecker lips, and is fuel and solvent resistant too. 

Henry W

piperpilot3tk,

I was thinking about Rustoleum, and I will look into it more. The only reason I was thinking about powder coating is I can get it in when semi gloss is being sprayed and it would not be much more than $60.00. But If you say Rustoleum brushes on and flows that good I would be able to save more.

Thanks,

Henry

Henry W

If I get the camera early tomorrow afternoon I will take some pictures on the progress.

I want to post pictures of the Engine and generator head assembled and pictures of the progress on the frame. The frame is almost ready for painting. Just finished rounding off sharp corners so I don't get a corner in my leg like I did once before. The next thing is making mounting pads for the engine and generator.

Henry

rcavictim

Powder coating is a very nice durable finish but it is expensive.  My limited experience with Rustoleum is that it is very good rust resistant, gasoline resistant paint.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Henry W

rcavictim,

Yes, Powder coating is a very nice durable.

I am thinking about using Rustoleum. One benefit is the frame can be touched up easily if it has to be modified for some reason. I guess black will match good with Kubota blue.

I need to find out if a primer needs to be used first.

Henry

Carlb

Henry,

I have had good luck with rustoleum paints on metal surfaces. Depending on the application i will either brush or spray it on.  I do not like most of the rustoleum paints in the spray can and when I have to spray it I just buy the oil based paint in a quart and thin and spray.  I use acetone to thin if it is cool and odorless mineral spirits when it is warm/hot. They say you do not have to prime first on clean metal but I always apply a primer first.  This paint is pretty strong after it cures.  Be careful no to over thin as it will make the finished paint brittle.

Carl
My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

Henry W

Carlb,
Thanks for the info. Looks like you been painting with Rustoleum long enough to know what works.

Pictures tomorrow if the weather holds out.

Henry

Henry W

Some Pictures are in!!!

The first four pictures are of the frame that is being built. Engine and Generator pads are the next step on the frame.

Henry

Henry W

The next three pictures are of the Genset.

The components are:
Kubota D1005 engine
SAE-5 generator spec'd housing
SAE-6.5 generator spec'd 1,800 RPM  flywheel
Marathon 7.8 KW Pancake Generator end

Henry