Kubota D1005 3-cylinder diesel, direct drive 1800 RPM generator project

Started by Henry W, February 19, 2011, 05:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piperpilot3tk

Henry, the engine has been run before so I will not get a chance to be the one to break it in the right way, but I will run it under a load for good measure.  This engine/alternator was apparently used to assemble and verify fit and function for the prototype light tower for the '06 year model.  It has very few hours and does not even have any rust on the bare cast iron exhaust manifold.  Thanks for the tip on the manuals, I will get them on order soon and pick up some 15W40.  The radiator screen I was referring to was the one on the front, my unit has the screen around the fan. 

Randy, my unit was assembled by Ingersoll Rand and it uses a Leroy Somer alternator.

piperpilot3tk

Henry, What are you planning to do about overtemp and low oil pressure shutdown?  My engine has a temp sender in the thermostat housing but nothing else.  I have been looking at several controllers and have not made any decisions.  These two look nice   
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deep-Sea-Generator-Alternator-Controller-DSE702-/280584565483?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415424b2eb   
  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diesel-Gas-Generator-Controller-GTR116-Multi-Function-/150621967579?pt=BI_Generators&hash=item2311c4d4db

Still do not have any ideas as to which temp/pressure switches I may use.

gregger2k

I just installed a DSE710 from the same seller.

I initially ordered a DSE704 from the same seller and when I finally got around to hooking it up it would not operate correctly. All the lights would flash and it would not program. I contacted the seller (wzspark0577) and my money was promptly refunded.

Great seller!!

Ships super fast.. Ordered DSE710 on Sunday, arrived on Friday!
Here is a link to the manual http://www.dichvumayphatdien.com/data/download/18062007_DSE710manual.pdf

The DSE710 is so much nicer! frequency, rpm, voltage, current (if you supply a current transformer) battery voltage, oil pressure and water temperature (if you supply the proper senders) display and shutdown or over or under voltage, rpm, over amp load, an hour meter and even more. It monitors 3 phase or single phase. It does not seem to be able to monitor each leg of 23v single phase though but I am still checking it out.

Installed on my D905 today and working great. I am using safety switches instead of senders so no oil pressure or temperature display yet. I am just trying to figure out the best way to keep the battery charged when the 710 is on and ready to autostart. I just switch power to it for now.

Well worth the upgrade!

Greg

piperpilot3tk

Thanks Greg, I looked at the DSE710 and I think that may be the way to go.  I like the ability to monitor alternator current.  Did the controller ship from the US or from China?

Henry W

Quote from: piperpilot3tk on September 25, 2011, 06:17:34 PM
Henry, What are you planning to do about overtemp and low oil pressure shutdown?  My engine has a temp sender in the thermostat housing but nothing else.  I have been looking at several controllers and have not made any decisions.  These two look nice   
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deep-Sea-Generator-Alternator-Controller-DSE702-/280584565483?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415424b2eb   
  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diesel-Gas-Generator-Controller-GTR116-Multi-Function-/150621967579?pt=BI_Generators&hash=item2311c4d4db

Still do not have any ideas as to which temp/pressure switches I may use.

piperpilot3tk I will be setting up a controller some day. I have not made a decision which controller I will be using.

Henry

gregger2k

piperpilot3tk, 
The controller shipped from china but it was by express so it arrived in 5 days from order. You will need to order a 5 AMP current transformer. I ordered http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-5-Current-Transformer-AMP-Meter-Gauge-/160460002924?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D3068932364120418545#ht_1284wt_921

I will let you know how it works.
Greg

piperpilot3tk

Thanks Greg, Just to be clear, does this CT monitor the main alternator (genset) output, or engine battery charging alternator current?  It may be a while before I get the cash to finish all this cool stuff.

gregger2k

It monitors the genset amps. You can set a max current limit and it will shutdown on overload.

piperpilot3tk

I got the D905 serviced and running last week.  I was hearing an intermittent strange noise that sounded like a high pitched squeal, or a piece of sheet metal vibrating that I could not make sense of.  Yesterday I ran the engine again and I think I have isolated the location of the noise.  The noise was coming from the front of the engine and in the process of trying to locate the source I placed my hand on the oil filter.  When the noise is heard I can feel a high pitch vibration in the oil filter, this lasts for about 15 seconds at a time.  I think the oil filter may be bypassing as it sounds just like a bypass in hydraulic system. The strange thing is the noise happens only happens after the engine gets up to temperature.  You would think that if the filter was going to bypass, it would happen when the oil was cold, or maybe the filters internal bypass is malfunctioning when it gets hot.  Any ideas?

Carlb

Since the noise appears to be the bypass on the filter, maybe it is a defective filter.  I would replace the filter first and see what happens. 
My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

Henry W

I had a D905 Engine on a tractor that did the same thing just above idle. I never had problems with the engine. You could feel the vibrations on the oil filter.

Henry

piperpilot3tk

I will try a new filter and see if it makes any difference.  If I remember correctly there was also a filter bypass valve that was visible inside the oil filter adapter.  Maybe I will swing by the Kubota dealer and get an original filter.

Henry W

My D905 made the noise with the origional OEM filters.

What brand and weight oil are you using?

Henry

Henry W

I am running 15-40 in my D1005 and it does not have any noise comming from the filter. Pretty much the same engine as yours. I followed Kubota's advice using 15-40 on hot day's. I believe you are running 15-40 also. Was the temperature in the high 80's? If not try 10-30 and see if that corrects the problem.

Pretty soon I will be switching to 10-30. Once temp is below 70 deg the change will happen.

piperpilot3tk

I used a Wix 51344 filter and Shell Rotella T 15W-40 oil. OAT was around 88 degrees F.  This has me concearned, I will try a new filter and if that does not do the trick I may have to get in touch with a Kubota engineer and see if they are familiar with this issue.