News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

What's the best way to cut a cow mat?

Started by Randybee1, February 19, 2011, 11:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randybee1

Alright, an easy one for you guys. I have a cow mat that I was going to put under one of my stationary engines. Things have changed and now I need to cut it in half. Recommendations on the best method to cut it? Thanks, Randy B

AdeV

What is this, a damn farming forum?  ???  ::)

;) ;) ;D ;D ;) ;)

(PS: Sorry, I haven't the faintest idea... what is cow mat anyway?)
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

billswan

Quote from: Randybee1 on February 19, 2011, 11:15:29 AM
Alright, an easy one for you guys. I have a cow mat that I was going to put under one of my stationary engines. Things have changed and now I need to cut it in half. Recommendations on the best method to cut it? Thanks, Randy B

Well when I cut up one I believe I used a circular saw. A sharp blade and good support and a steady hand.

Or was it my table saw? ::)

Billswan
16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

rcavictim

Rumor has it you can cut a rug with some music and a willing dance partner.  Maybe if your partner was a cow?   :D
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

rcavictim

Badum bump.

Seriously though.  How about draping it over a horizontal straight edge or pipe so the the desired cut line is at the apex and use a sharp razor knife against a metal straight edge.   The rubber will be in tension where the blade is cutting so as to naturally pull the rubber away from binding the blade as the multi-pass cut is made.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

DanG

A heat gun will soften the material, the drape-over-cutting-board is a good one, use long continuous strokes with a NEW razor. The hot rubber gives good incentive to be extra careful during the whole operation. A circular saw or sabre saw both have their own merits :)

JohnF

I cut mine with a circular saw.  Draw a line first, it is easy to get off on a tangent - or maybe that's just me.....Put the mat on a bench or on on the ground on two pieces of 2 x 4 and cut between them
John F
www.woodnstuff.ca
Listers, Changfas, Redstones, AG's and anything else diesel I can get my hands on!

injin man

Are these the Mats that are stacked up by the at the Tractor Supply Store?

Randybee1

Quote from: injin man on February 19, 2011, 01:30:21 PM
Yes they are!
Thanks for the advice guys.. I was leaning toward using a circular saw but wanted to check here first!
Randy B

rcavictim

Quote from: Randybee1 on February 19, 2011, 01:56:39 PM
Quote from: injin man on February 19, 2011, 01:30:21 PM
Yes they are!
Thanks for the advice guys.. I was leaning toward using a circular saw but wanted to check here first!
Randy B

If you are gonna lean towards a sharp, high speed circular saw....don't lean too close!   ;)

Apogee

Construct a concentrated solar field and tower as shown in the pic and video.

Rappell down just above the focus point in your underwear (you might as well enhance your vitamin D while you're working)

Use the beam to cut where you need cut.

Make some beef jerky while you're hanging around...

Base jump from the tower when finished just for the thrill of it and to celebrate a job well done.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/15/concentrated-solar-power-_n_822895.html

Other than that, I'd also use a circular saw with a fresh blade...

Steve  :-)

Crofter

I have cut conveyor belting and tires and find they tend to suck onto a saw blade. A thin cut off wheel on an angle grinder works good. Actually melts its way through. Terribly smelly job though! Bending the belt over an edge sure helps especially using a knife. I think the mats have a lot of grit and maybe ground up tire wire so dont use your good skinning knife.
Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5

rl71459

I cut a cow mat to fit my wifes truck bed using a razor knife (carpenters knife) just kept retracing the score marks while the mat was on top of a backer board. It worked ok just took a little time.

Rob

Apogee

You might also consider using a jigsaw.

Would cut more slowly but likely wouldn't melt as it was cutting...

Ronmar

I was going to suggest a sawsall and course blade.  Failing that, draped over a sawhorse in tension as previously suggested and a sharp razor knife.  I can see you winding up with a stepped or diagonal cut that way though...
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"