News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

back haul trucker needed?

Started by mobile_bob, February 11, 2011, 06:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobile_bob

without getting into all the "why's" which is quite entertaining in itself, here is what i need

but first what i have

i will be buying both a 40ft shipping container "and" chassis, the container will be set on the chassis
and i will load the thing up to about 35k lbs.

the contents will include, tons of engines, machine tools, hand tools, a 55 chevy 2door post, and numerous
other fine "junq'ue" items.

i need a semi tractor that can hook onto this rig, and drag it from tacoma wasthington, to central kansas.

departure time is about 30 days, although i can shift that to suit the truckers schedule.

this is a one way haul, hook up, drag to kansas, unhook and go on your happy way.

i figured i would check here to see if there was a board member that might be in the business, or have a friend or family member
that is so.

i will pay in "green leafy" no receipt needed,  i just need the thing moved, and i am on a short time frame, at least much shorter
than i had planned which was a move in late summer or early fall.

either cash or trade, or part cash part trade,  whatever tickles you fancy

anyone?

bob g

injin man

Bob

Since it's going to be interstate it probably needs paperwork. Gary sent my engine
kit from Kansas using a Carrier called 'Vitran'. They are based in Kansas, I would call them
to see about a backhaul.They appear to be a very well run truck line.

Ben

DanG

Just a comparison for your information...

A neighbor who lost their house went with these folks -  3 days to load, three days to unload and they drive....

The 28 feet long, 8 feet 6 inches wide and 9 foot tall trailer can legally haul 22,500 pounds.

I just requested instant quote for the 28' trailer and 1200 miles and they are asking $2.32 a mile...

http://www.upack.com/moving-services/moving-trailer.asp

LowGear

I really admire and appreciate your looking for friendly talent before going to the yellow pages.  I prefer to pay the people that do the work and accept the risks personally.  I had great luck in moving my engine from Portland up to Seattle.  Your own container.  What a great way to start a new adventure.

If someone doesn't PM you with a mom and pop solution you might google "bareback" and the like.

Casey

BioHazard

Quote from: LowGear on February 12, 2011, 09:26:10 AM
If someone doesn't PM you with a mom and pop solution you might google "bareback" and the like.
I'm not so sure you want to google that.... :o
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

vdubnut62

Bob, Before you get carried away, check out getting the container hauled on a regular flatbed or stepdeck without the container chassis.
I know you will run into problems with getting it on and off the trailer, but you are looking at a very long bobtail trip with no chance of the truck getting a back haul. that mean he will want a very premium rate.$$$$$
You could look into an old cheap day cab tandem and drive it yourself. I've seem them here for as little as  a couple grand.
You could always resell it for a farm truck in Kansas. In TN all you would be required to have would be a farm plate unless you were operating for hire.
Just throwing ideas at the wall again. Hell, I'm sure you already know all this stuff.
Ron.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

dieselgman

At the risk of repeating known information... we ship engines and parts, containers, LCL and FCL all the time. The prices can be all over the map. We hauled some truckloads of engines out of Canada last year, our regular freight comany wanted in excess of $10,000 per load into Kansas. We shopped around and found a Canadian truckline (Waggoners) to move the same loads for $2900. Mostly it boils down to where they are operating, and whether or not they can arrange the backhaul.

Containers seem to be a bit more "sticky" to haul around... not certain if ours were just overweight or if other regulations affect their transport. The tare or empty weight is certainly a concern with these big old steel contraptions. I have found it more advantageous to use typical overland freight trailers.

dieselgman
Ford Powerstroke, Caterpillar 3304s, Cummins M11, Too many Listers to count.