injector removed, what's this, now what?

Started by ryanw95, February 09, 2011, 02:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryanw95

I just fired up my R170 on my tractor, and saw exhaust coming out of a little hole above the injector.

so I removed the injector from the head, and saw this.

It looks like a copper washer that 1/3 broke off. Also I noticed that "hole" is actually a slot that goes back into the head.

I assume that copper washer should be a full circle (vs. 2/3rds), correct?

And what is that slot for? Why is exhaust coming out of it (when was running)?

Thanks.
handfull of horizontal water-cooled Changfa-style motors, in tractor, generators, etc.

ryanw95

here's a close-up of the slot in the hole for the injector body.
handfull of horizontal water-cooled Changfa-style motors, in tractor, generators, etc.

AdeV

Guesswork, but I'm thinking it's either a keyway slot to ensure the injector's orientated the right way, or maybe it's a slot you can put a small screwdriver down in order to try to lever a stuck injector out?
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

rcavictim

That might be an alignment slot for the insert which may be sitting in there which you thought was actually part of the head.  It is likely a removable pre-chamber.  If you have a indirect injection engine then that is my guess what you have there.

I discovered a two piece pre-chamber below the injector in my JD-175A. IDI engine.  I do not know if I have such an alignment slot though.  Been a while since I had it apart to clean out the pre-chamber.

You will need to replace all the little crushable copper washers that are used as heat resistant, high pressure seals as part of the pre-chamber and injector.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Henry W

If the manual does not mention anything about it then I would not worry about the slot. When you are ready to install the injector install the new washer torque it down and forget about the slot and just run the thing.

It ran fine before.

Henry

Wizard

Did you find other piece of that copper washer?  Clean up well, and put new copper washer in there.  Take care that studs is sealed as some of them goes through cooling passage in the head.

Cheers, Wizard

ryanw95

I looked in all my parts boxes, and haven't found any replacement copper crush washers.

Where can I get replacements?

highwater

Auto parts store???
Oil drain crush washer???
Take injector for size comparison?????

Randall

mobile_bob

take your injector to either a tractor or truck shop, if not there a diesel injection pump shop
there ought to be something that fits a cat, cummins, mack, or IH injector that will do the job.

failing all that, go to harbor freight and get one of the copper washer kits, it will likely have
a copper washer that will fit, once you find one that is acceptable you will need to heat it
up with a torch to anneal it, so that it will seal more easily.

bob g

Wizard

Try chrysler copper crush washers for front brake like this used for 1984 thru 1995 caravans.

May have to cut it to correct size.

Cheers, Wizard

ryanw95

I stopped at the local NAPA store on the way in from work, and got some copper washers I think'll work. I'll have to double them up though. Their outer diameter looks the same, but inner diameter is just a bit smaller than the stock ones.

I'll put them on tonight and see what happens.

ryanw95

here's pics of the washers I picked up from NAPA.

Wizard

Just one washer.  Not doubled up, that's asking for failure.

Cheers, Wizard