News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Update: Lovson Sando-14 order

Started by LLF, February 07, 2011, 08:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LLF

Hi, just thought I would post the quotes I received from Lovson. There are two Quotes. The last one was the first one they sent me for 6/1 and 8/1. The first one is the one that I requested a quote for on the Sando-14 (hope Sando doesnt stands for sand). Anyway I am going to bite the bullet and wire the $$ on the 15th. Gambling all my OT hours. Wasnt sure about the durability of going so large though. I have a lot of Mechanical experiance, but never had one of these. First one. I think later I will order a spare crank,rod,piston,and cam just in case Everything else I think almost any local machine shop will be able to reproduce if needed. I will also try to post what they call a Proforma invoice that I returned to Joanna that basically states that I understand what I am responsible for and the price. The following is some of the e-mails and quotes.  It will be easier to start at the bottom and read up as the info was sent back and forth.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
----- Original Message -----
To: lfenderson001@bak.rr.com
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 3:52 AM
Subject: 25-01- quote for Air Compressor

Dear Loren,

WE HAVE WORKED OUT SHIPPING COST UPTO LOS ANGELES PORT -CA  AS UNDER

COST OF AIR COMPRESSOR LG-14-SANDO
US$  1230.00 PER UNIT FOB INDIAN PORT
US$ 220.00  CRATE PACKING
----------------
US$.1450.00  FOB INDIAN PORT
=========

COST OF kit to rebuild it as engine
US$ 150.00 PER UNIT FOB INDIAN PORT
US$   50.00  PACKING
----------------
US$200.00 FOB INDIAN PORT
========

TOTAL SHIPPING CHARGES FOR ABOVE ( BOTH THE COMPRESSOR AND KIT ) =
US$300.00  SHIPPING CHARGES UPTO  LOS ANGELES PORT -CA  

THE ABOVE COSTS INCLUDE THE COMPRESSOR + KIT + SHIPPING CHARGES UPTO
LOS ANGELES PORT -CA  

ALL OTHER CHARGES I.E. YOUR LOCAL PORT CHARGES, CUSTOMS DUTY , AGENT CHARGES AND LOCAL TRANSPORT CHARGES TO YOUR DOOR  WILL HAVE TO BE BORNE BY YOU

Regret , we are unable to give you an estimate of the port / dock or other charges as we have no knowledge of this . However if you wish we can put you in touch with the SHIPPING AGENCIES in USA who can help you clear the consignment .
DISPATCH : 2 WEEKS AFTER CONFIRMATION OF ORDER AND RECEIPT OF PAYMENT.

SHIPMENT : TRANSIST TIME : 3/4 WEEKS.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Rgds
Joanna

To: <joanna@lovson.net>
Sent: 24 January, 2011 19:04
Subject: Re: 24-01- Air Compressor

Hi, and thank you for the information very helpful. My home address is xxxxxxxx. But I can pick up from any port in Los Angeles that you can recommend. Long beach, San pedro, etc. It doesnt matter to me I will drive to the one thats most convienent for you. The exact model I wish to order would be the LG-14 SANDO with direct injection and the conversion kit. Please let me know what i need to do on my part and a price quote to ANY of the Los Angeles ports. And I understand that I will be responsible for all the dock and port fees on my side , but not sure how much that will be. If you could give an estimate on the above engine, and approximately what the port or dock charges would be, this would be greatly appreciated! Please reply with quote. Thank you Loren Fenderson.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 24, 2011, at 1:51 AM, <joanna@lovson.net> wrote:

Dear Loren,

Thank you for your e-mail of 23rd January,2011 and the interest shown in our Company and product.

Please provide us your complete mailing address.

At present we are doing Air compressor for LG6hp and Lister type SL8HP

We quote below:

1) INDIRECT INJECTION                                                         FOB INDIAN PORT
                                                                                               US$ PER UNIT

AIR COMPRESSOR -SL 8HP                                                           1030.00

COST OF kit to rebuild it as engine                                              190.00
COMPLETE KIT CONSIST OF FOLLOWING:

QTY         ITEM(s)

1 NO     WATER PIPE ELBOW SET
   1 NO     GOVERNOR SPRING SET
   1 NO     FLYWHEEL KEY
   1 NO     TOOL KIT (SPANNER SET ONLY)
   1 NO      FUEL PUMP
   1 NO      NOZZLE
   1 SET     IDLER GEAR set  (PIN,NUT,STUD & WASHER)

2) DIRECT INJECTION                                                        

AIR COMPRESSOR - LG 6HP                                                           905.00

COST OF kit to rebuild it as engine                                                 160.00
COMPLETE KIT CONSIST OF FOLLOWING:

QTY         ITEM(s)

1 NO     WATER PIPE ELBOW SET
   1 NO     GOVERNOR SPRING SET
   1 NO     FLYWHEEL KEY
   1 NO     TOOL KIT (SPANNER SET ONLY)
   1 NO      FUEL PUMP
   1 NO      NOZZLE
   1 SET     IDLER GEAR set  (PIN,NUT,STUD & WASHER)

WE WILL ALSO BE SENDING YOU THE CD SHOWING HOW TO ASSEMBLE THE AIR  COMPRESSOR

At present we have given you an offer on FOB INDIAN PORTsince we dont know your final destination.  Please inform us nearest seaport to enable workout  shipping + Handling charges.

PLEASE NOTE,ALL THE PORT,CUSTOMS AND TRANSPORT CHARGES FROM PORT TO YOUR  WAREHOUSE / DOOR WILL BE TO YOUR ACCOUNT.

To facilitate your import we will provide you a "GSP"certificiate under the Generealised System of Preferences which allows you to import goods from INDIA at very nominal customs duty.  This system is for goods from developing countries and all goods from such countries attract reduced customs duty.  Inform this to your customs authority when asking for duty rates.

Request you to study our website: www.slowspeedengine.com - LITTLE GIANT which is our new model / invention this engine has counter weighed cranks.Our technical data is on website with picture.

Our payment terms are as under:

PAYMENT : BY WIRE TRANSFER WITH ORDER

VALIDITY : OFFER VALID UPTO 31.01.2011

Let us know if you need further details from us.

Best Regards
Joanna Bhat
LOVSON
98, Bajaj Bhavan, Nariman Point, Mumbai 400 021, INDIA .
Tel: + 91-22 - 42129898 (Ext.123)  / 42129809 (Direct) Fax:+ 91-22 - 42129844

To: Joanna@lovson.net
Sent: 23 January, 2011 01:33
Subject: Air Compressor

Hi, I live near Los Angeles. I am trying to see how feasable it would be to order 1 Air pump from your company inported to L.A. Was interested in the LG air compressor and the kit to transform it to slow turning diesel generator. I only see the air compressor sold in the SL series. Do you sell one in the little giant LG series with the matching kit. Ultimately I would be most interested in the LG10 Super or LG10 Sando or the LG14 Sando in the air compressor form with the kit. Do you have any of these kits available to import to los angeles and at what cost. And what shipping yards do you deliver to and are there any other costs as far as dock or import fees, etc.  That I would be responsible for ? Thank you. Loren Fenderson

Tom Reed

Hopefully Sando means Sand Omitted.  ;)
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

mobile_bob

if it were me, and i were to pay the freight to get those engine's into the country i would damn sure order all the parts i needed
at the same time, never will there be a less expensive way to get those parts than with the original order.

ymmv
bob g

mike90045

I don't think the teamsters union will allow you to drive to the port to pick up your order.  I think they have to be paid to haul it 5 miles away to their pickup site.  And then they disclaim all knowledge  of how the crate got shredded.

LLF

Thanks for the comments and advice. I am going to call the Oakland port and ask them exactly how a private consumer picks up ordered freight and what the fees are for duty etc.

LLF

Hi,
   Thanks for your advice Bob, but for me, at this point, I can't justify any more $$ spent until I see how this transaction is going to play out. I have searched the web trying to find out any info or complaints directed toward LOVSTON. So far I havent found any. What I did find out is they are a huge exporter to the US with many sister company's. They ship mopeds,motorcycles etc all the time to the US. I am hoping that this agent that Joanne sends me to in Oakland will handle all the customs BS, while I am footing the bill. After I see how this all works out, then I will decide if I am going to purchase the spare parts. Even though like you said it will cost me, but that will be a different month and additional OT. So far I have found only two sources here in the US. The Kansas 8/1 kit quoted to me for $1990, and the Andree systems for $3800-$4000. So the 14/1 for $2050 seems to be my best choice because (hopefully) I will be able to pick up myself. The above quotes dont include shipping. I will be in contact with the Oakland port with many questions about customs and how a private customer picks up personal deliveries and associated costs. Thanks Dan for the link. On a side note and I may be a 100% wrong and someone here may know better, but on the Central Maine generator site, under the VIEW MODEL NUMBER tab you can still check out there old complete packages, starting on the far right side with 00912 and going down to the vege model. when I took two Iphones and placed them together, one with the Maine and the other the Lovson SL (not LG), I blew them up with the Iphones and to me all the casting,fuel lines,air cleaner, etc looked exactly the same. Maybe it was wishful thinking, but it appeared to me that I could see on the Maine model where the yellow Lovston logo had been either removed or painted over or both. I am no expert in this, maybe all the copies look the same. Dont know. LLF

LLF

I have tried hours to try and post this Proforma invoice right. Could'nt figure it out. If interested check it out. Any feedback, comments or suggestions welcomed. Thank you LLF

LLF

Thank you, lots of food for thought. I have a headache now. Anyone recommend a broker? LLF

playdiesel

Quote from: Jens on February 08, 2011, 05:16:20 PM
FWIW, here is how your order will proceed:

Lovson will ship the crates to a freight consolidator
The consolidator will put a whole bunch of different customers stuff into one container
The stuff goes on a boat, it might go direct or it might go to another port and hang there for a while, this usually depends on if there is enough stuff to fill the boat.
The stuff will be shipped to another freight consolidator at the destination port. He will pick up the container and will separate the stuff. He will likely have called you a couple weeks prior to scheduled arrival and asked for customs broker info.
If you elect to use a broker, the freight documents go to the broker and everything happens magically. Once the broker is paid, the freight consolidator is paid and the warehouse that has your stuff is paid, you get your goodies.
If you elect to clear the shipment yourself, you go to the consolidator and pick up the documents, take the documents to your customs agent, he will decide if he wants to inspect the shipment (they have agents at the warehouses), he will make you fill out a bunch of forms and charge you a bunch of money and stamp the documents. You then take the documents back to the freight consolidator who makes sure that all is in order and that they got their cut of the action and he will give you a release form for the warehouse. You take the release form to the warehouse, pay another fee and they load the shipment onto your truck (expect only forklift service)
You drive home with your new toy wondering how all the fees added up so quickly.
The end !

Hope that helps ....

Re the parts .... expect to double the parts costs if you do not get them with the original order.

Jens

Jens, THANK YOU! for putting it into terms a layman can understand. I am considering a similar deal and have it all sewn up to the point of sitting at a US port but all the bits and pieces here were escaping my feeble brain.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

LLF

I decided to take Bob's advice and requested a quote for spare parts to be shipped with original order. Will post when I receive the Quote. Joanna informed me that the agent in Oakland will only be able to assist me in helping to get the shipment from the shipping co. And that I would need what they call a Custom House Agent. Which seems to me to be just another name for a Broker. Not sure. LLF

LLF

Hi, just FYI, I learned today that there is a law that went into effect in 2010 that requires a Importer (me) to file a form "ISF 10+2". ISF meaning "Importer security filing". Furthermore this has to be transmitted to US customs TWO (2) days before the ship is even loaded from the sending country (India). Meaning Anyone attempting this will need to contact a broker first, before the ship is loaded. So, If US customs receives paperwork from the exporter upon delivery stating that the cargo was loaded before this filing, the Importer (me) will be fined $5000 per violation. Fortunately the broker takes care of all this. Learning everyday. LLF

Apogee

LLF,

Smart move on the spare parts.

I couldn't agree with Bob more and would buy spares of everything except the block and flywheels.  As far as bearings, rings, liners and pistons, I'd buy multiples.

Just my $.02,

Steve

LLF

Hi, The following are some E-mails back and forth with Joanna at Lovson. There is a quote for the spare parts which doesn't seem to bad to me. I am not even being charged crating or shipping fees. Thanks again Bob for your advice. Also regarding my earlier post on the ISF form, Joanna stated that they are very well aware of the US laws and they will do the filing for me, so that there will be no violations or penalties. Again its easier to follow if you start at the bottom and go up.  LLF                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Dear Loren,

YES WE CAN ISSUE YOU TWO PROFORMA INVOICES TO KEEP THE AMOUNT BELOW US$ 2000/-

WE ARE AWARE OF THE SHIPMENT PROCEEDURES AND FILE THE NECESSARY FORMS BEFORE SHIPMENT TO AVOID ANY PENALTIES FOR YOU.

Rgds
Joanna

Sent: 11 February, 2011 16:14
Subject: Re: 11-02-quote for LG-14hp Sando

Thank you Joanna. I am in contact with a couple of brokers now so everything will be set up. The brokers tell me there is a form that has to be filed with US customs at least two(2) days before the cargo is even loaded or there will be a fine of $5000 per incident for the importer (me). Seems like there is a difference between a formal import and a informal. The informal is $2000 or less and the formal is anything over $2000. So I am checking to see if maybe I can do two orders at the same time, one just for the Sando Lg-14, and the other would be for the conversion and the spare parts. If this can be done then I think this would be the best way with two seperate bills or performa's. Not sure still waiting to hear back from brokers. What do think about this? This form is called " importer security filing"  "ISF 10+2". Thank you

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 10, 2011, at 10:05 PM, <joanna@lovson.net> wrote:

Dear Loren,

Sub:Spares for LG-14Sando engine.

We quote below:

US$         QTY       ITEM
FOB

189.50     1 no   Crankshaft
  63.75     1 no   Complete Connecting Rod
  70.75     1 set  Piston and Rings with G.Pin & Piston Lock (Complete Piston)
  41.75     1 no  Cam Shaft Complete
----------
=====

Incase you need these spares please add the amount to the proforma invoice and arrange to remit amount by 15th February,2011 as informed by you.

Rgds
Joanna     
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 6:29 PM
Subject: Re: 09-02-reply

Thank you Joanna, if you have time I am considering purchasing some spare parts that I understand would be a lot cheaper to order with the original order than later on.  The parts would be (1) crankshaft, (1) complete connecting rod, (1) piston and rings, and (1) camshaft. Can you give me a quote on these parts in a kit form? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 9, 2011, at 4:22 AM, <joanna@lovson.net> wrote:

Dear Loren,

The shipping agent in Oakland will only assist you in getting the delivery order from the SHIPPING CO.

You will need to hire what we call a CUSTOM HOUSE AGENT to clear customs and arrange the tranport to your door .

In case you cannot find someone to help you , let me know I will recommend a name from here.

Rgds
Joanna

To: joanna@lovson.net
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 6:47 AM
Subject: Re: 08-02 proforma invoice.

Hi  Joanna,

I just have a question, will this agent in Oakland assist me in clearing customs ? or do I need to search for a Broker ? And if so do you have any recommendations for one in Oakland ? Thank you

LLF

Hi, Please someone correct me if I am wrong. I have had many different items shipped from overseas many times from different countries without any problems, so I was figuring that small parts like the bearings,rings, injectors,etc could be shipped to my address directly from Lovson in India if needed, without all of this customs BS. ?? LLF