News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

new tier 5 diesel engine

Started by mobile_bob, February 06, 2011, 10:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sailawayrb

Quote from: veggie on February 10, 2011, 01:14:50 PM
Now really sailawayrb,  did you honestly think that was a real rumor that needed to be corrected ?
As for the spelling mistake....a simple typo.

veggie

Not really...more of an attempt at humor.  However, given what I have seen some folks believe, figured it couldn't hurt to clarify  :)

I don't disagree with some of the other spelling either, but I couldn't possibly comment further...

Bob B.

veggie

On a more serious note regarding the Boeing article (and land transport machinery too), I have done a lot of research on the subject of biodiesel derived from Algae. Although there are still some obstacles, many are being overcome and we are moving towards and excellent renewable source of fuel. Algae produces oils on a per acre basis which dwarfs any other sources by a factor of 10 (without using food crops to do it). My personal guess is that massive biofuel production from Algae is 8 - 10 years away and will make a significant difference to our domestic fuel supplies.

veggie

sailawayrb

Quote from: veggie on February 10, 2011, 01:41:00 PM
On a more serious note regarding the Boeing article (and land transport machinery too), I have done a lot of research on the subject of biodiesel derived from Algae. Although there are still some obstacles, many are being overcome and we are moving towards and excellent renewable source of fuel. Algae produces oils on a per acre basis which dwarfs any other sources by a factor of 10 (without using food crops to do it). My personal guess is that massive biofuel production from Algae is 8 - 10 years away and will make a significant difference to our domestic fuel supplies.

veggie

Yes, this approach appears to be very promising...at least in terms of realizable/renewable production, being carbon neutral, and being directly usable by the existing infrastructure digesters.  However, land is limited and the space required may compete with space needed for food production.

Bob B.

veggie

Bob I totally agree, land area should certainly be reserved for food.

Alternatives:
Algae farms like the one below can be located in arid areas where farming is difficult.
Also, vertical tube farms can produce significant amounts as well.

veggie

rcavictim

Quote from: veggie on February 10, 2011, 01:58:39 PM

Bob I totally agree, land area should certainly be reserved for food.

Alternatives:
Algae farms like the one below can be located in arid areas where farming is difficult.

veggie

I saw this documentary movie.  According to the X-Files those vertical cylinders are where they are keeping the alien lifeforms alive in stasis.  There is a large operation hidden under the antarctic ice-cap.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

vdubnut62

When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

vdubnut62

No way RCAvictim! Everybody knows that the secret submarine base of the 4th Reich is under the Antarctic ice. Don't you read Clive Cussler?
I figured you were a big Dirk Pitt fan.

On a more serious note, there are thousands of acres here in TN that are just too steep and rocky to do anything else with, so why not algae
farms? One could grow it in tubes arranged to follow the lay of the land in a sort of  "terrace" type arrangement.  I'm game.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

AdeV

Quote from: veggie on February 10, 2011, 01:58:39 PM

There's going to be one hell of a mess when one of those tubes bursts!

Algae is definitely the future for oil. I believe a Japanese researcher has come up with an algae (or maybe it's a bacteria, I can't remember) which basically secretes crude oil, which is pretty much indistinguishable from dino oil.

Indeed, there is one theory that, in fact, that's where the oil we're burning now actually came from (microbial or algal consumption of fossil sea creatures causes oil pockets). Of course, that could be utter nonsense for all I know.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

deeiche

rm /

vdubnut62

AdeV it's a bacteria or maybe virus? Anyway, genetically modified Ebola? that eats CO2 and secretes diesel, or crude depends on the modification
IIRC. I wish I could remember the site the article was on.
Ron

rcavictim

Quote from: vdubnut62 on February 10, 2011, 05:15:06 PM
No way RCAvictim! Everybody knows that the secret submarine base of the 4th Reich is under the Antarctic ice. Don't you read Clive Cussler?

On a more serious note, there are thousands of acres here in TN that are just too steep and rocky to do anything else with, so why not algae
farms? One could grow it in tubes arranged to follow the lay of the land in a sort of  "terrace" type arrangement.  I'm game.
Ron

I have the X-Files movie on DVD and I'm sticking to my story Ron!  8)   As for Dirk Pitt or Clive Cussler, sorry never heard of them.    ???
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

AdeV

Quote from: vdubnut62 on February 10, 2011, 05:28:48 PM
AdeV it's a bacteria or maybe virus? Anyway, genetically modified Ebola that eats CO2 and secretes diesel, or crude depends on the modification
IIRC. I wish I could remember the site the article was on.

Definitely not a virus - they require a host body & basically they exist only to reproduce. They make good vectors for genetic modification, but that's about it.

There was a BBC news article about the research. It pops up every time oil prices spike... unfortunately, the Google Gods are not with me tonight & I cannot find it... I'll search another day.

Quote from: rcavictim on February 10, 2011, 05:30:13 PM
As for Dirk Pitt or Clive Cussler, sorry never heard of them.    ???

Clive Cussler wrote a whole slew of books (including Raise the Titanic, which was made into that slightly cheesy but reasonably spectacular film), with Dirk Pitt as his principal character. Pitt is a bit James Bondish, and has the ability to carry massive injuries without slowing down one jot. Unlike the rest of us who'd be confined to wheelchairs in a world of agony...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

vdubnut62

Quote from: rcavictim on February 10, 2011, 05:30:13 PM
Quote from: vdubnut62 on February 10, 2011, 05:15:06 PM

Ron

I have the X-Files movie on DVD and I'm sticking to my story Ron!  8)   As for Dirk Pitt or Clive Cussler, sorry never heard of them.    ???

Do a wikipedia search, Check out Clive Cussler he wrote Raise the Titanic, and Sahara, the movies were pretty bad, books are great.
I'll stop my hijack now.
Ron

mike90045

Quote from: veggie on February 10, 2011, 01:41:00 PM
....I have done a lot of research on the subject of biodiesel derived from Algae. .......

Ah... fuel and water injection all at the same time.