News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

solenoid for a 180

Started by WGB, February 01, 2011, 08:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGB

Anybody know where I can get an starter solenoid for a 180 7.5 hp Changfa clone?  only thing on the solenoid other that Chinese is DK12-C 12 V.
Thanks

mobile_bob

what happened to yours, is it missing or did it fail?

the can be repaired if they aren't the pressed body style

bob g

WGB

Quote from: mobile_bob on February 01, 2011, 10:37:16 AM
what happened to yours, is it missing or did it fail?

the can be repaired if they aren't the pressed body style

bob g

Hi Bob,
  Mine is trash, I thought I would repair the one I have, not the case.
I pull it apart, had to de-solder a couple leads from the coil to get the switch end off.
The guts are destroyed, not sure if water got in there or what.
The inside on the plastic cap was full of rust and corrosion, not electrical in nature.
One studs head half burned off, the contact ring is deformed, it's a mess.
I'll get some pics.

WGB

mobile_bob

Bill:

as ugly as that thing looks inside, i probably could be cleaned up and make to work again
you might take all the parts down to a local starter rebuilder and see if he can match up some of
those internal parts, i bet he can

failing that, i would clean it all up using a benchgrinder wire wheel, and/or a file, and reassemble it
solder it back together and it will probably work while another solenoid is found.

or maybe placed in a parts order?

bob g

mobile_bob

btw, often times that little round contact plate is reversible so you can flip it over and get a good side
and the copper contact bolts are something that a starter guy should have, and at the very least the little return spring
is probably something he can also match up with one from a delco or someother manufacture.

believe it or not i have reconditioned solenoids that look that bad or worse, and they seem to go on working for a very long time.

bob g

DanG

That corrosion 'effect' reminds me of consumer grade stuff that got hit by the heated water pressure washers where I used to work... I wonder if it ever saw a degreaser-solution nozzle way too close ;)

WGB

Quote from: DanG on February 01, 2011, 04:24:42 PM
That corrosion 'effect' reminds me of consumer grade stuff that got hit by the heated water pressure washers where I used to work... I wonder if it ever saw a degreaser-solution nozzle way too close ;)

Not from me Dan, hasn't run long enough to get greasy!

DanG

November 2009? Isn't that like 10 dog years? :)

- I read your posts and saw the pictures... admirable results for sure.

The POWERMART folks sure could've hit it with an alkali de-greaser pre or post painting...

mobile_bob

it looks like the village that builds the solenoid, is located down on a pier somewhere, and that one fell in the drink

Bill, pm me if you need some help with that thing
if you send it out to me, i think i can come up with enough parts to rebuild it for you, and at least make it functional.

i am thinking that with my declining physical health, that i might get heavily into parts for the chinese engines once
i get back to kansas later this year.  

there is a real need for repair parts, starter/solenoids seem to be a recurring problem.

maybe i should start a topic that we can call a chinese engine parts wish list, so that we can determine what parts folks are likely
to want down the road,,, and yes if i do this i want to also get short and long blocks too  ;)

the only way i can see it working out economically is to see if i can piggy back a couple pallet boxes of parts in with someone shipping
a container of stuff from china anyway.

we are going to need parts down the road, so someone has to step up and do it.

who knows, maybe i can be the next willem and offer 99k dollar hydrogen changfa gensets that are guaranteed to run for 100k hours?
(ok,, maybe this last one isn't funny)

bob g