Main Menu

indian parts supplier

Started by mobile_bob, January 30, 2011, 10:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobile_bob

for the listeroid boys over here

check this link out

http://lister-engine.com/lef/index.php?topic=5624.0

it looks as though this fellow might be someone to work with to get some better parts to work with
at least he is not posting that he has the best parts in the world, just that he can get parts of varying quality

an induction hardened cylinder liner would be a large step in the right direction for those wanting to use alternate fuels

bob g

injin man

Bob

Anand/Powerline positively makes the best parts in India. They are the
standard to be met IMHO. I compared the overall quailty of the parts I got
from their US distributor and the engine I got from Gary at Diesel-Electric
and the individual parts were better overall, the big difference is that I got
the whole engine from Gary where I couldn't get a whole engine in pieces
from anyone I called. So has anyone here done business with the guy from
Lister-engine.com?

Ben

dieselgman

Remember the business model in India is "Cottage Industry" - the main difficulty remains in achieving some form of consistency from any of the suppliers. We use an engineering firm (with generations of experience behind them) to do Quality Control for products we import but their suppliers remain erratic and inconsistent at best. This is especially true for procurement of items in less than 1,000s of piece counts. The largest and most capable firms do not seem oriented to retail level business for export. The quality for our imports is significantly better than what is retained for domestic use in their country and we still cannot achieve anything close to the Dursley originals. There are also Indian government controls and incentives that are very hard to overcome... for instance their tax situation for exports to insure that key castings and components are not exported individually but always as a completed engine. We have no real financial incentive to try and procure the perfect clone engine, especially in light of current US politics and restrictions. Now, if we want to discuss development of high quality individual pieces, there is substantial interest and investment available. We have done this for the modern Lister Diesels across the board and continue to refine this market. The same could be done for the CS types if there was sufficient demand proven. A complex and thorny puzzle involved here!

dieselgman
Diesel Electric
Ford Powerstroke, Caterpillar 3304s, Cummins M11, Too many Listers to count.

mobile_bob

in my opinion, if it came down to just two parts
i would want a source of centrifugal cast induction hardened cylinder liners
and plain no top holes/groove big end brg sets
that and maybe bronze idler gears

that makes three parts

those would be most of what is needed to make a good engine out of a so so engine here

bob g

dieselgman

Thanks Bob, We will put these requests into the pressure cooker and see what comes out.

dieselgman
Diesel Electric

mobile_bob

cool, be sure to put in some carrots and taters!

maybe  bit of oregano

at least it will smell good

:)

bob g

mike90045

Quote from: mobile_bob on January 31, 2011, 10:27:17 PM
in my opinion, if it came down to just two parts
i would want a source of centrifugal cast induction hardened cylinder liners
and plain no top holes/groove big end brg sets
that and maybe bronze idler gears

that makes three parts

those would be most of what is needed to make a good engine out of a so so engine here

bob g

What's the final word on hollow dippers ?    Are they still breaking up / just a small batch flaw ?

dieselgman

Good question, I do not know this answer because we did not handle any of the hollow type dippers. I will have to review more details from our supplier. We have had requests for hollow dippers before.

dieselgman
Diesel Electric

dieselgman

Quote from: injin man on January 31, 2011, 08:54:16 PM

Bob

Anand/Powerline positively makes the best parts in India. They are the
standard to be met IMHO. I compared the overall quailty of the parts I got
from their US distributor and the engine I got from Gary at Diesel-Electric
and the individual parts were better overall, the big difference is that I got
the whole engine from Gary where I couldn't get a whole engine in pieces
from anyone I called. Ben

The inside information is that Anand does not build their own parts, rather do a good job of selecting what they use from the array of individual piece builders. Remember the cottage industry model that is prevalent there. .

dieselgman
Diesel Electric