News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Will this thermosiphon?

Started by bschwartz, January 23, 2011, 08:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronmar

If you tightened up the bottom elbo on the radiator, you might be able to lower it an inch or two, this might give you enough room to put the heatex stood vertically and very close coupled right on top of the radiator.  As pictured, I think the thermosiphon flow will probably fall on it's nose when you start taking heat out of the heat exchanger...  With those low angles/long horizontal runs and low height in conjunction with the small diameter tube, it is probably just barely getting by now, and won't take much additional resistance to stop the flow.  Here is a quick check, hook a garden hose and drain lines to the secondary of the heatex.  Get it up and running with thermosiphon flow cooling, and see what happens when you turn the cold water on to the heatex secondary:)
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

bschwartz

It's funny.....
When I lived in New York, turning on the garden hose, and flowing water onto the ground for a test would seem like second nature.

Now that I live in the desert southwest (New Mexico), I'd have to think of what I will use that warmed water for, so it doesn't just spill on the ground  ;D

As for the close couple, I need to take a picture of that side, and you'll see that I just don't have much room to play with due to the reducers.....

- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

bschwartz

There really is no place to go up, as it goes from the reducer 90 degrees to the HE.  The bottom looks about the same.  I'd need to lower the radiator a good 8 inches (20 cm) to fit the HE, and that would only raise the slope from the lower port.  I think that would really kill the thermosiphon.  I think if what you say is true about killing it by taking heat away from the system as it is now, I'll just have to turn the circulating pump on.  No big loss, just one more thing to go wrong
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

squarebob

Is your garage door open all the way in the picture? Can the HE be relocated to the left, past the point of the fully open door to gain some height? Sure might help the situation.

Bob
GM90 6/1, 7.5 ST head, 150 Amp 24V Leece Neville, Delco 10si
Petter AA1 3.5 HP, 75 Amp 24V Leece Neville
2012 VW Sportwagen TDI, Average 39.1 MPG

vdubnut62

Nice oil can. Looks like the one that my Grandad had for an old horse drawn McMormick Deering mowing machine. I wonder where that thing went?
I think your project loos nice. You should see my disaster! My wife threatens daily. I just haven't had the heart to go through Dad's stuff and try t organize it.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

rcavictim

Quote from: bschwartz on January 23, 2011, 03:31:07 PM
Thanks for all the feedback!!

I decided that I didn't want to have to drain my antifreeze/water mixture (mixed before adding as per Ron) if what I did today didn't work.
I put in the pump on the lower side between the radiator and the lower cooling port on the engine.
My hope is that if the pump (taco) dies, it has a chance to thermosiphon.  I understand that these circulator pumps will flow when not running.

As of right now, things seem to be running nicely.

I have the engine turning an ST-5 to produce 240v AC
The 240v AC powers a 48v DC power supply putting out about 37 amps at 51.8 v DC.
The DC feeds a set of 4 el-cheapo Sam's Club marine batteries (in series)
Also connected to the batteries are the MX-60 fed by 4 Evergreen 210w panels.
The batteries feed the GVFX-3648.
Between the Sun and the listeroid, I'm feeding 2KW back into the grid right now!!

THANKS GUYS!!!!

Bob,

You need to install a taco bell, to warn you if the pump dies. :D
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.