News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Missing posts

Started by Jens, January 21, 2011, 06:45:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jens

I am having issues with posts not showing up - more so than usual.
I don't know if other people are experiencing this or not but in the last hour there were at least three posts that were apparently accepted by the board but never made it. I suppose this could be related to higher frequency of other people posting / possible simultaneous posting but whatever it is it is extremely annoying. I might spend 10 or 15 minutes putting my thoughts down on 'paper' only to find that the posting ended up in a bit bucket someplace without any comment to me that anything went wrong in the posting.
I will not repeat myself if a post is lost and I find myself thinking twice before bothering to post with a 50/50 chance that the post will actually show.

AdeV

Jens -

If you click "Post", and nothing much seems to happen... it doesn't matter how many more times you click it, it won't happen. I get this occasionally with my browser (Opera), it may happen with others. In order to suppress duplicate posts, the forum disables the "Post" button just after you click it the first time. If the server & browser don't manage to communicate properly (it happens), then you are unable to re-click the button to try again. Going back/forward a page doesn't help, and pressing F5 re-sets the box...

IF the above does happen to you, you have only one option: Copy the contents of the post to your clipboard. Press the "back" button. Press "reply" (or "new post") again. Retype your title if you need to. Paste the post back in. Hit "Post" again & hope for the best...

If it's the case that the screen refreshed & showed your post, and then later you look and it's disappeared, please PM me immediately & tell me what thread you posted in & who you replied to. There's a backup taken of the forum every 4 hours (at midnight, 4am, 8am, midday, 4pm & 8pm, all GMT), so I can go take a look in the previous backup for your post if it was made in the previous backup period.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

vdubnut62

I thought it was just me, or possibly, the person making the post removing it, but I keep thinking I read something and go back to reread it and that particular post is no longer there... also sometimes it seems occasionally  that there is a discontinuity in a line of discussion - someone answering a question that isn't there. ( Twilight Zone theme playing in my head)
Also it's quite possible that I'm demented.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

AdeV

Hmmm.... this is more reports of missing posts than I like.....

I will speak to Bob about upgrading to the latest version of SMF, we're only a couple of revisions behind though & I can't see anything about missing posts in the "fixed" list...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5

cognos

Yes, this happened to me last week - I composed a post, hit the post button, and later, when I went to read additional posts in the thread, mine wasn't there in the thread. Can't say if it ever made it into the thread - I didn't check immediately after I posted it.

playdiesel

Not had it happen to me. I use Firefox at home and I Explorer at work. Works fine  for me.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

AdeV

When you submit a post, you should be taken to it. If you're not, then something went wrong...

I can't say I've experienced a missing post. I know for a fact I've never purposely (or even accidentally) removed any.

Typical software. We'll just keep re-booting it until the problem goes away  ;)
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5

vdubnut62

Quote from: Jens on January 21, 2011, 09:39:03 AM
Quote from: vdubnut62 on January 21, 2011, 07:47:56 AM
I thought it was just me, or possibly, the person making the post removing it, but I keep thinking I read something and go back to reread it and that particular post is no longer there... also sometimes it seems occasionally  that there is a discontinuity in a line of discussion - someone answering a question that isn't there. ( Twilight Zone theme playing in my head)
Ron

Although I can't comment on your last sentence, I can tell you that I have removed some of my posts in the past. On the other hand, this is not what we are talking about here.

OK, that settles it then. Dementia.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

rl71459

It has happened to me a few times.  I just thought someone disagreed with my content and filtered it.

Rob

AdeV

OK, for the record:

There is no system in place which will automatically remove a post. You can post absolutely any text you like, and the system will accept it.

The moderators & admins can delete posts. I'm not aware of any moderator deletions in the recent past. Mods may also move posts, that will convert the original post into a link to the new post.

You can delete your own posts, leaving a trail of confusion & dementia behind you, but that can be fun in its own right...

Any other form of post deletion is going to be a s/w bug... I'd be grateful if those of you who are suffering lost posts, could please make a note of the time (as near as poss) when you post a post that subsequently goes missing; then I can check the logs to see if anything untoward is mentioned.

Ta in advance.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5

mobile_bob

i use firefox and experience the failure once every so often

the fix is to copy and paste to my word processor save, then reboot the machine and then it will repost.

it only has happened to me when my puter has been on for weeks, for some reason firefox gets flakey after that length
of time and starts doing things like this.

the only other time i had issues were related to comcast's cable, which was intermittently dropping out, when that happened
while trying to post, i would frequently lose my work.

i suspect there are a variety of reasons behind this failure to post

anyway if i have a lot of work in a post, i will copy to my clipboard first and then post just to be safe.

bob g

T19

Might be SQL related... had this issue at Tanknet.. ended up having to turn off the board, do some heavy duty recounting and cleanup in the sql to make it go away... I had the board out for 6 hours to run maint and add some patches... boy the whines.. the internet is worse that cigg withdrawals :D

mike90045

Win XP & firefox   

I ALWAYS select & COPY before I press POST or send or save.   Too many times (not her, but 8.001hr timeout on yahoo, or random glitches) I've lost stuff to the bit gods, and so now I always use the local copy buffer to park things before I hit the action key.

highwater

Ron

nah, just your line of studies at Tenn-Tech ;D
Randall

vdubnut62

Quote from: highwater on January 23, 2011, 09:13:03 PM
Ron

nah, just your line of studies at Tenn-Tech ;D
Randall

Thank you, thank you Ladies and Gentlemen, I'll be here all week! ::)
Ron