News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Little pony engine/12V generator

Started by Wizard, January 17, 2011, 06:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wizard

After several troubles with the extension cord socket failed (replaced with new socket), broken battery solder pad in my switch-timer, forgetten lights and so on...

I have been visiting here and wondering if there is old small gas liquid-cooled engine with decent flywheel driving a 12V alternator, oh all I need is 2-3hp. (wishful: crank start not pull (I have trouble with pull start due to effort).
This would allow me to crank up if there was trouble with battery or heater, or engine too cold.  I have plenty of space in pass side of radiator blanking space there or rear area behind front seats but sealed well box with venting direct to below with wirings and pipings.

Cheers, Wizard

BioHazard

Small water cooled engines are apparently few and far between. wiebe posted this in another thread:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7D44i8cJYo&feature=player_embedded
Says it's made to be the same size as a car battery. Would make a great little "jumper".

I'm planning on modifying a small 800w 2 stroke generator from Harbor Freight to fit behind the radiator on my truck. I am considering machining off the cooling fins on the cylinder and making my own water cooled jacket for it. Also some sort of exhaust to water heat exchanger would be a must. This would power an onboard battery charger, and/or heat pads/block heater. I'm converting all my engine accessories to electric powered so I can "idle" without the main engine running, including air conditioning.
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

KeithO

Heres a 3.3 HP diesel jobby http://www.ecoinnovation.co.nz/p-43-vegetable-oilbio-dieseldiesel-water-cooled-engine.aspx
They do exist but finding one can be difficult

Keith

playdiesel

Quote from: KeithO on January 19, 2011, 03:12:57 AM
Heres a 3.3 HP diesel jobby http://www.ecoinnovation.co.nz/p-43-vegetable-oilbio-dieseldiesel-water-cooled-engine.aspx
They do exist but finding one can be difficult

Keith

Thanks for posting that link Keith, Ive been on the hunt for oneof those.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

vdubnut62

At 40kg (my converter says that is 88lbs) it would be UPS-able, wonder if any friends in NZ would be willing to intercede?

Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

playdiesel

Quote from: vdubnut62 on January 19, 2011, 09:55:42 AM
At 40kg (my converter says that is 88lbs) it would be UPS-able, wonder if any friends in NZ would be willing to intercede?

Ron

And, when you convert the NZ bucks to USA bucks you get a nice surprize too, it cheaper!  I sent them a email through the site to see if they will ship here, offered to pay them to remove the head aka engine parts. Let ya know what they say. For the price Im willing to take a chance, them's cute lil engines.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

playdiesel

Well we are SOL as far as direct sales  :(
OK, so who in NZ is willing to accept money from me to buy and ship???

The responce

Hi Butch,

Sorry do not sell this items outside NZ due to weight issues, will cost mane more times to freight than to buy.

Regards

Michael Lawley

Renewable Energy Engineer BE (hons)

EcoInnovation Ltd

671 Kent Road

RD1

New Plymouth 4371

New Zealand

06 7522765 (work)

email: michael@ecoinnovation.co.nz

www.ecoinnovation.co.nz

www.powerspout.com

Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

vdubnut62

Figures. I would still like to have a couple, one for me and one for the Grandkids 'lil tractor!
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

BigGreen

LOL
Go through the motions of ordering one and click on estimated shipping cost. It comes out to $1 million!

He wasn't joking, was he?

vdubnut62

Wow! I could hire somebody to whittle one out of a block of cast iron cheaper than the postage :D
Ron

Wizard

R165 changfa engine, who have this engine used or new available in canada?

Failing that, other types of 3HP in size would do diesel or gas, as long as it is liquid cooled?

Cheers, Wizard

Tom T

What is an r165 3hp worth these days. Besides what ever you can get for them.Tom T

BioHazard

Quote from: Wizard on January 19, 2011, 07:16:35 PM
Failing that, other types of 3HP in size would do diesel or gas, as long as it is liquid cooled?
Besides the Changfa, or chanfoids...I've never seen a water cooled engine that small outside of a model boat. I guess you could modify a small 4 stroke outboard but that would cost a mint....
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?