News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

5kw "inverter" gen head unit?

Started by BioHazard, January 14, 2011, 08:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlb

according to the data output the dc buss is at 325 volts even when the turbine is not spinning When i looked at the data log it was over 420 volts at 200 rpm.  I think the max dc out is 500 volts. 

This turbine has its own inverter built into the nacelle so it can be directly tied to the grid via a circuit breaker just like the sunnyboy.

I don't know what the ac voltage is coming off the alternator but it has six or seven wires coming out of the stator. The appear to be #10

My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

LowGear

Hi Carl,

I just googled the Skystream.  At first I was stunned but then remembered your mentioning the attached inverter.  I'm surprised they don't make a generator model.  As a beta tester have you heard anything in this direction?

Being a proud owner of a Sunny Boy almost demands that I find a 5 star rectifier for the attached single phase 240 volt generator that's part of the original Witte or putting a three phase generator head/rectifier system together and feeding The Boy during the hours of darkness.

Casey

Carlb

Quote from: LowGear on January 17, 2011, 08:28:55 AM
Hi Carl,

I just googled the Skystream.  At first I was stunned but then remembered your mentioning the attached inverter.  I'm surprised they don't make a generator model.  As a beta tester have you heard anything in this direction?

Being a proud owner of a Sunny Boy almost demands that I find a 5 star rectifier for the attached single phase 240 volt generator that's part of the original Witte or putting a three phase generator head/rectifier system together and feeding The Boy during the hours of darkness.

Casey

Casey,

A rectified 3phase head will give you a much cleaner waveform than a single phase head (at least that is what i am told).  I don't remember how much distortion the Sunnyboy will accept. 

I have 2 Sunnyboys, 1 Froinus and 2 sharp inverters as well as the Skystream and with the exception of the Skystream the others only work at most 10 hours a day.  Seems like a waste of inverters, but I don't really need to produce anymore electricity than i already am so I don't see any benefit in generating more electricity using fossil fuel.

Carl
My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

bearhawk

Quote from: Hacksaw on January 15, 2011, 12:18:35 PM

Belt driven accessories certainly use more fuel than electrical ones. This is why nearly every new car comes with an electric cooling fan these days.

I actually think it's because most cars these days have transverse mounted engines and none have side mounted radiators.
2005 Powersolutions/JKSon 6/1 with ST-10
Yanmar 2v78 V-twin diesel for a motorcycle
Yanclone single cyl 12hp diesel in a Cub Cadet
http://www.youtube.com/user/bearhawk767
http://listerenginegallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=4911

BioHazard

Quote from: bearhawk on April 15, 2011, 07:07:53 PM
I actually think it's because most cars these days have transverse mounted engines and none have side mounted radiators.

There are still plenty of RWD vehicles out there, and they are all moving towards electric accessories, power steering, A/C, etc...

If this thing could produce 24v @ 80% efficiency for trucking then that would be more efficient than most alternators, and there has been a lot of work recently to increase the efficiency of alternators. I'm not sure how much difference that would make on a semi truck but they must use a lot of amps...
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?