News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

The old LEF is down again

Started by billswan, December 27, 2010, 02:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobile_bob

as far as i am concerned, slower growth rate equates to a better forum with less problems
certainly there are probably a few bonofide prospective members who have issues getting in, but
if they are serious they will persist until they find a way around whatever the issues are.

bob g

AdeV

I run a few Windows servers as well as Linux, and my downtime is nothing even close to the LEF's. The Win boxes get rebooted when they get jittery (anything from 1wk to 1 year, depending on what they do), the Linux boxes, well, the last time I had to reboot one was because _I_ trashed it trying to upgrade too far too fast...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

DRDEATH

Of course everyone knows I am always good for some sort of a statement about something. I am not happy that the forum goes down. I am also not happy because it is hard for people to get signed up. What I am the most unhappy about is Andrew's hands are tied. He only has what the owner will let him have. So I feel his devotion to the forum trying to keep the spammers out by reviewing everyone should be admired. I for one would not have the patience to do that. I am sure he cringes when the forum goes down but it is beyond his control. I wish the owner would step up and make it easier for him. I like what this forum offers and I like what the other forum offers. There can never be to much information. Just my 2 cents worth. Mike DD
As long as Breast Cancer Kills, I will support the battle. Please help support your local chapters.

playdiesel

Ya, I know what ya'll mean.
If I want to know if its working I come here first to find out,,,, ;D
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

DRDEATH

This is the longest I can remember the LEF being down. Has anyone got any insight on what is going on????????????????? Mike
As long as Breast Cancer Kills, I will support the battle. Please help support your local chapters.

DRDEATH

I think I have been a member for over there for 2 or 3 years. I was a member when this forum started and I could be wrong but it never seemed to be this long. After time you can forget frustrations. I emailed Andrew to see what the scoop was incase anyone cares beside me. I havent heard back yet. DD

spencer1885

I hope it's not gone for to much longer as it's a very good forum and the only place to get a good fix of all things Lister.
:)

Crofter

Quote from: Jens on January 19, 2011, 01:23:51 PM
Quote from: DRDEATH on January 19, 2011, 12:04:13 PM
This is the longest I can remember the LEF being down. Has anyone got any insight on what is going on????????????????? Mike

ROFL .... you are obviously a relative newbie. This board came into existence after a whole bunch of failures of the old LED including some that were probably more than a week at a time.

So, Jens, are you telling us to despair not, there still is hope! Nice to hear something a bit upbeat.

It sure is valuable to have continuous backup and a redundant copy that you have total control of. It is of no use if it is on someone elses server especially in the event of a dispute.
Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5

mobile_bob

our forum is on a big server some friggin where, however we do routine backups of this forum
so that we aren't held hostage or lose everything should something bad happen.

thats why we went with a hosting service, they got the really big and presumably more reliable server's
and depend on a high percentage of uptime to keep their sales up and their name viable.

i can't imagine trying to run any forum on a server of my own, i just don't trust equipment that much.

at least not the sort of equipment i can afford.

bob g

AdeV

I pretty much gave up on LEF after the owner rejected all forms of assistance offered by simply ignoring everyone & swimming his own way. This was after a good 2 week period of downtime, during which Jens' mailing list was born, flourished, and was effectively replaced by this forum.

Yes, it's true that this forum is much less Lister focussed than LEF. IMHO, that's not necessarily a bad thing, it gives this forum its own identity and its own position. I find that what I want to do with my Lister(s) aligns more closely with the subject of this group, than it did with LEF...

Another reason I gave up on LEF was, frankly, it was damned addictive, and the downtime periods really are (were) akin to going cold turkey. I had enough of that giving up the smokes, I don't want it all over again with forums...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

cognos

It appears that many of the domains that were registered to the original owner of listerengine.com have been transferred to a company called ENOM Inc., which looks like a reseller of domain names to me. I could be wrong, but a whois lookup shows completely different information on the owner/registrar than in the past.

mobile_bob

wow, that would suck, that is if the owner let the domain name expire and some other entity snatched it up
and now wants big bucks for the name!

there are those that sit around looking for an existing entity to fail to renew their domain name, then buy it, hoping
to make big bucks selling it back to the original owner, or in some cases someone else that wants to grab it up for whatever
reason.

the latter would be a horrible end to listerengine.com in my opinion, and totally unnecessary.

hope this is not the case.

bob g

cgwymp

QuoteDomain Name: LISTERENGINE.COM
   Registrar: ENOM, INC.
   Whois Server: whois.enom.com
   Referral URL: http://www.enom.com
   Name Server: NS1.WEBHOSTINGPAD.COM
   Name Server: NS2.WEBHOSTINGPAD.COM
   Updated Date: 25-may-2010
   Creation Date: 26-jul-2005
   Expiration Date: 26-jul-2011

Looks like ENOM has had it at least since May of last year. I don't know who ENOM is, but maybe the LEF owner purchased the domain name through them?
Listeroid 8/1

cognos

Last time I looked at the whois info, which was probably the last time it was down for a bit - it was registered to the guy who has owned it from the beginning - the guy who also owns/owned aelto.com, nflscout.com, outlawbooks.com, and a few others I don't recall. They were all on the same server, I think there were 8 domains on the server. Sounded like a basement operation to me, nothing wrong with that, just a small operation, that's all. Those sites are all with ENOM Inc. now. All of those sites now give the Forbidden/404 message, with the exception of Outlaw Books, which is still up.

It's a simple enough matter to find out the (possibly) former owner of these sites. You don't have to dig very deep. There's email addresses available, telephone numbers, etc., should anyone really want to put some effort into finding out what's really up.