Main Menu

The old LEF is down again

Started by billswan, December 27, 2010, 02:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billswan

:o :o

Shocking news right?

Anyone here know anything?

Anyone taking bets on how long it will be before it pops back to life?

There was a thread going on WMO that I have been using and watching now I feel withdrawl....................

Billswan

WELL make a liar out of me it was gone this morning it was gone 20 minutes ago now I post over here because I got an email from another member over there.  AND right after my first post I check and it's back.....go figure. ::) ::)
16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

wagspe208

Boy, glad to hear it is down. I thought I got booted for making friends.  ;D
Wags

billswan

Quote from: Jens on December 27, 2010, 02:51:36 PM
Quote from: billswan on December 27, 2010, 02:41:50 PM
Anyone taking bets on how long it will be before it pops back to life?

OMG !!!! Say it ain't so !!!!

3 days is my bet :)

Well we are both wrong it's back already.......... ::) ::)

Billswan

Equine

Ah it's back up! Good...It was me who actually asked Bill about what happened, I didn't know this was something "regular" :)

mbryner

This is something I will never understand.  I pay less than $10/year for the listerenginegallery.com for hosting.  I set it up only the one time and it's been chugging along ever since, no intervention, albeit it's not that fast.  How hard can it be to find a reliable hosting provider?   Every time "old LEF is down" comes up I just shake my head......
JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

"The 2nd Amendment is the RESET button of the US Constitution"

injin man

Many of the boards, depending on their bandwidth allotments, have to cull stuff so that
we can add new content. The problem is made worse on boards with lots of user
traffic. One of my favorite boards is the Falfiles and at certain times of the day you can get
the please be patient message. I've made many real life friends there and hope to
do the same here.

cgwymp

There are two factors to consider -- bandwith and storage space. Bandwidth is how much water is flowing through the pipe. Storage space is how much water is in the holding tank. The (few) hosts I've dealt with will sell different amounts of either, depending on how deep your pockets are....
Listeroid 8/1

mbryner

Yes, yes.  I've run my own servers at home and hosted for years.   Storage space is quite cheap.  Bandwidth is a bit more expensive.  The old LEF has been dealing with outages for years.   Of course that's how many of us came to be here....
JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

BioHazard

Bandwidth and storage space is extremely, extremely, extremely cheap compared to what it was just 5 years ago. That's not an excuse for any site worth it's domain name to go down. If that is the reason it's down, there will usually be a message telling you such.

There are many forums I frequent with billions more users than LEF and they don't have bandwidth issues. If a website is so big as to have bandwidth issues, they also have enough people to support the website through donations or advertising so they can buy the appropriate amount of storage and bandwidth to support the website in the first place. Anything else is simply bad management.
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

injin man

Another possibility are frequent spam attacks from places like Eastern Europe,
I've been on other boards that have to clean up after the attacks and of course
kill the board while they do it, maintenance would be my guess especially if it's
a periodic issue.....or they aren't paying their monthly bandwidth bill :-\

billswan

Guys

Well thought I would bump this old post back up as I have not been able to get access to the old LEF for about the last 12 hours. Anyone else having the same problem or is it just me?    :( :(

Billswan

mobile_bob

i can't imagine what the continual problem is with their forum?

knock on wood we seem to avoid those issues, of course we don't register 1000 new members every month like they
supposedly do, perhaps they get more than a few new members in the bargain?

oh well,  so far so good here,

hopefully we don't experience those problems here,

bob g

mbryner

I ran a couple websites off a Linux machine for years until about 1 year ago.   It was also my personal surfing & multimedia, jack-of-all computer.   I rebooted it every couple months.   Guess I was the one w/ the "server in the basement".    No excuse.

AdeV

I suspect the issues are more to do with payment of bills (hosting and/or bandwidth) than any kind of technical issue...

Bob - if Andrew is correct, most of those 1000's of new members per month are actually spammers & spambots.... the measures we have in place stop all but 1 or 2 from coming through.... which gives us a slower growth rate, but mostly they're real members & not 'bots.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

BioHazard

There is no way in hell that forum is getting 1000 new users a month!  :o
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?