News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

EPA Canada closes the door on non conforming engines.

Started by veggie, December 20, 2010, 07:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnF

Eventually one of the bureaucrats came out of the rat hole and actually sent me an email.  It would seem - get this folks - that current Canadian regulations actually prevent U.S. tier 4 engines from being imported here.  So, they changed the regs to allow this to happen.  I have an assurance (that and $3.95 will buy me a latte) that importation of engines into Canada has not been changed "YET"  It is coming but I think we may have a year of opportunity.  Need to check into this further, so more news later! 
John F
www.woodnstuff.ca
Listers, Changfas, Redstones, AG's and anything else diesel I can get my hands on!

injin man

Bob

Not to worry, I use all their hatred of self reliance to my benefit. And you are right, it's
the necessity that will bring the innovation and I intend to be here to make it happen.
We all have differing needs and fuels availability which does make a one size fits all solution
pretty much a non stater, but it does give us plenty of opportunity to develop overlapping
strategies. I've been working for several years now as time will permit to use the Chinese
Tallow trees around here as a main fuel source along with the wood pellets for instance.
We are a very diverse group of folks here and are from all parts of the US and Canada for sure
and this surely will work to our advantage.

BioHazard

Quote from: vdubnut62 on December 23, 2010, 12:08:47 PM
Bob I just can't wrap my head around how you can burn a cubic foot of NG in an engine, and get power and heat more efficiently
than you can just burn a cubic foot for heat?
I'm sorry, I'm just not a smart man.........

Think about it like this: Power plants often run on natural gas. They simply throw the heat away and charge for the electricity. By building a small gas powerplant in your basement, you get to keep that heat they were throwing away and offset a portion of the juice you were going to use anyway.

The big paper mill in town has installed 2 80MW gas turbine cogenerators, they need a lot of heat in the paper making process. They used to be the largest single electricity consumer in the state, now they sell electricity back - and steam is still shooting out the vents.
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

vdubnut62

Well I envy all of you. Heer in tha hills,  I can forget about NG. It's just not available. The bastards (Hank Hill et al :D) get about 3 bucks a gallon for propane.  Diesel is $3.15 a gallon, although I have a Farm Tax Exemption card and can get a .40 break on dyed farm fuel. Unless I burn too much and the Man comes snooping and finds that it isn't being put in a piece of farm or construction equipment.
Woodgas? I'm not too sure that the kinks can be worked out short of throwing a LOT of money at automatic controls. And then upkeep and troubleshooting is on the order of Alchemy.
For me the only viable option looks to be waste oil. Now how am I going to run my Ford/Iron Duke/Volvo/etc. on that?

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only guy in this position, it's a great big world.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

mobile_bob

is that the delivered bulk price for propane in your area?

you farm exemption should extend to cogen use, mainly because it is being used for an offroad no road tax application?

as for burning waste oil in an iron duke?  not sure what is possible here
it might be we can gasify waste oil and burn the vapor in a bifuel scheme?

not sure till we sink our heads into this problem, and explore the options, however
it is likely there will be some places where nothing else is going to work but a diesel engine.

bob g

BioHazard

Well, as someone else already mentioned, the 3rd world isn't the only supply of diesel engines. They just happen to be some of the cheapest, and some unusual simple designs we like. That said, I'm sure you'll be able to buy a 1800RPM twin cylinder Kubota or whatever and parts for a long, long time to come.
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

DRDEATH

Vegie I have been away from computer and have to depend on little screen on phone so if this has been addressed sorry. I was under the impression the people in the NW Terriorty used these for the only source of power they had. I thought that was your shoe in for getting them. I guess I am sure sad your government has become as ridiculous as ours. Mike DD
As long as Breast Cancer Kills, I will support the battle. Please help support your local chapters.

veggie

*** UPDATE ***

For the time being we have been given clearance to import listeroids.
JohnF and myself were notified today.

veggie

rcavictim

Well that is certainly good news.  Did they mention anything about the horizontal single cylinder, water cooled Changfa types?
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

veggie

Quote from: rcavictim on January 06, 2011, 01:06:49 PM
Well that is certainly good news.  Did they mention anything about the horizontal single cylinder, water cooled Changfa types?

Changfa's can be imported.
The problem is with Changfa directly. They require a minimum of 10 units in each model size.
That's 10 of any model ( not a mix of models to make 10 units ).
Otherwise, they wont ship from the factory.