News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

EPA Canada closes the door on non conforming engines.

Started by veggie, December 20, 2010, 07:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veggie

**** ENGINE IMPORTS TO CANADA ****

Today, engine importers (including myself) received a letter from EPA Canada informing that all engines must now comply with EPA regulations and carry the appropriate markings. I have written to the authorities to get clarification on a few items, but the document seems to be fairly clear that the door is now closed for our cherished Listeroids and Changfa's starting in 2011.
Will update when I have more info.

veggie

mobile_bob

i guess we all new the party would end sooner than later, just a bit sooner than you guys up north would have liked i suspect.

now the engine's value really starts to go up!

the resource is now finite, and the market is going to grow, at least in competition for those remaining engine's that are available.

bob g

d34

I guess I need to get a parts order together for my gm90 soon.
GM90 6/1 ST5 (ready for emergency)
Changfa ZS1105GNM with 10kw gen head
S195 no gen head
1600 watts of solar panels are now here waiting for install
2635 watts of solar panels, Outback 3648 & 3048 Inverters, MX60, Mate
840Ah (20 hr rate) 48v battery bank & 660Ah (8 hr rate) 48v battery bank

JohnF

Yes, got mine too.  Very abrupt and immediate - just as well I held off on sending money overseas to reserve a shipment, I doubt if I could have brought one in.
John F
www.woodnstuff.ca
Listers, Changfas, Redstones, AG's and anything else diesel I can get my hands on!

WGB

I'm sure sorry to see that happen Veggie and John.
Hard for a guy make a buck or get out of the system.
Hey Veggie, can I get some specs on that compressor you used on your last video?
Thanks

billswan

Quote from: JohnF on December 21, 2010, 03:10:31 AM
Yes, got mine too.  Very abrupt and immediate - just as well I held off on sending money overseas to reserve a shipment, I doubt if I could have brought one in.

John

What would have happened if you had sent money and the shipment was in route due to land say january 15 2011

Would you be allowed the engines or just tough luck, are you  out?

If so what happens to the shipment and who is expected to pay for the return trip, Or does the wonderful government man just impound it and scrap it based on ignorance of the law is no excuse?

How about parts only are they still OK Or does this letter hex that too?

Billswan

16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

JohnF

We don't have any answers yet.  I'm suspecting they sent the email out then scurried off to their rat holes to hide over Christmas.  Maybe we'll here something in January....  As for parts, I don't think that will be a problem EXCEPT, bringing in a container load of parts will be very expensive.
John F
www.woodnstuff.ca
Listers, Changfas, Redstones, AG's and anything else diesel I can get my hands on!

veggie

Bill,

I posed those same questions (and more) to the authorities yesterday.
I am awaiting a reply. As JohnF stated, they probably sent us the letter and then closed up for the holidays.

veggie

playdiesel

Wow, sorry to hear that, no warning or discussion period or anything eh?  That stinks, and  I can see them sending it off just as the slammed the doors shut and left, sounds like your envirowackos go to the same school of coothe that ours in the states do. And just think, they work for us, we are their bosses, we make the payrolls,,, yet they act as if we are their subjects,,,,,,
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

veggie

Seems their timing was perfect.  ???
Myself, JohnF, and Troy (Eco diesel) were out of engines and just about to place orders for spring.  >:(

BioHazard

Thank god for the EPA, they've saved us all!  ::)

If you can still import peices...then why can't you assemble one after it's imported?
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

injin man

No matter what project I undertake, some bureaucrat comes along and kills it.
Now you have preban engines, too.

I've been working with a friend for some time now on several projects and one
involves steam engines which eventually led to looking at Listers and Changfa
types. My question to the group is why if the Indians can manage to make a
single cylinder diesel engine why can't we? I have access to a very diverse group
of people, technology (new and old) and machines, I would be surprised if there
weren't many more here with talent and equipment. I can get castings done if I
have the pieces available to copy also. I have plenty of other ideas but can't do it
by myself. What say you.....

BioHazard

The problem is that Indian and Chinese people work for cents per day, while Americans demand $25-100 an hour plus benefits.
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

mobile_bob

there has been much discussion about this sort of group project over the years since the epa ban first came into being back in '06

the consensus is as Jen's states, it is not economically feasible

it would take something on the order of probably 50 engine kits worth of parts to get the price down to an acceptable level
and even then it would take some excellent engineering and planning to get it done right.

just very difficult to compete with the economies of scale from first world manufactures, much less compete against 3rd world labor rates
and their lack of any osha or epa requirements.

you almost have to have an automotive machine shop to have all the necessary machine tools to do the various machining operations
and would have to setup as an assembly line so that things as simple as line boring the mains could be done on a 50 unit run.

doing it one at a time would be a labor of love and not likely successful on a large scale.

in my opinion only

bob g

veggie

The market is too small here.
No economy of scale.
In India and china they use thousands of these engines domesticly.