Thought I would show my existing system and talk about plans.

Started by NevadaBlue, December 15, 2010, 04:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NevadaBlue

I have a system consisting of a Xantrex power panel, battery banks and some solar panels. This system is a 48 volt battery bank feeding two 4KW Xantrex inverters. Work continues, but the basic setup is working. I have more panels to mount, replacing some of the lower wattage units and moving them to the 12 volt system.

Shown are the power panel, one of the 2 battery banks for this system and the first solar panel rack. The power house is the shed behind the panels. It is 8' by 16' and will eventually have our freezers inside along with the power stuff.

NevadaBlue

I stumbled onto the power panel as 'used'. Turns out someone apparently bought it and put it in their garage, it had never been connected to anything. I got it and a kilowatt of panels and some junk batteries for three grand. Did good, I think. We now have two banks of eight 330 amp flooded lead acid batteries running at 48 volts. The thing will be getting alternate power from the Changchai 10KW generator when I get it set up and connected.

d34

Very nice setup.  You guys are killing me with jealousy.  I may have to take a break from this site.  Yea right who am I kidding. 
GM90 6/1 ST5 (ready for emergency)
Changfa ZS1105GNM with 10kw gen head
S195 no gen head
1600 watts of solar panels are now here waiting for install
2635 watts of solar panels, Outback 3648 & 3048 Inverters, MX60, Mate
840Ah (20 hr rate) 48v battery bank & 660Ah (8 hr rate) 48v battery bank

veggie

Very nice system.
I'm guessing your panels are approx. 120 watts each so you have 0.96kw of solar power at peak.
That should do a good job of keeping the bank charged.
Well done!

veggie

NevadaBlue

Actually, the panels that are there now are 75 watts each. The others that I got in the deal are still in storage. I got four 125 watt panels with the eight 75 watt panels. So I got about 1100 watts of panel in that deal. (nominal of course)
I since have picked up four new 185 watt panels for $250 each and I have four 200 watt panels also. I plan to replace the 75 watt panels with the larger units come spring. With the 125 watt panels, that would put just over 2KW on this system and leave me the 600 watts of panel for my 12 volt system.
I keep watching for sales and deals and so far, so good. :)

mbryner

OK, I haven't been looking at solar panel prices too closely lately but that seems like an awesome deal for those 185 watt panels!    And of course, you stole that Xantrex power panel and 75 watt panels!  Good job.

Looks like you mounted your panels on the horizontal pole so you can adjust their orientation seasonally?  Did you account for wind loads? 

Also, for federal and state tax credits, my system had to be signed off by an "approved" installer.  So even though the whole system seemed expensive to start with (nearly $12/installed watt), cost was decreased about 50%.   Watch out for "gotchas" like that if you're DIY.   You'll come out much cheaper anyway, considering your prowess so far.  :)

d34: this site is my addiction...
JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

"The 2nd Amendment is the RESET button of the US Constitution"

NevadaBlue

One of my sons works at NPS in Salt Lake City. They are a surplus disposal place that moves 'lost' shipments. He watches for deals for me on panels. They got in 3 pallets of new panels (don't know how many for sure) and that's how I got the last four. Yes, great price, they should be about $400 each.
The mount was intended to allow for seasonal changes, but so far, of all things, I have found that they work best with the panels in 'stored' position. That was designed to allow me to tip them vertical (actually a bit over vertical) for snow and wind protection. The buildings block the normal winds a lot. But it seems that the reflected sun from the gravel drive in front of them in summer and the snow in winter more than make up for the angle. I'll find out more with the higher power panels in place.
Unfortunately, Nevada has run out of matching money AND the stupid laws require 'certified' installers. I know more than most contractors I've ever dealt with and also, we are so remote, even if I did find someone I would trust to do the work, the travel would more than offset the savings. The power company is the same thing, too many hoops to jump through to sell back, so I'll just do my own thing. :D