News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Simple idea for 55 gal fuel tank w/ sight glass

Started by mbryner, December 09, 2010, 12:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbryner

Hello all,

So I want to put a oil drum in the powerhouse and use it as a WMO tank.   The only problem w/ an oil drum is lack of fuel gauge.   This setup should provide a sight glass for fuel level and allow easy filling w/o risk of leaks from drilling into the side of the tank.   In case you can't see the pic:  Just use a length of clear tubing.  Arrange in a siphon-type loop, i.e. tube goes from bottom of tank, through hole in top, then loops below tank level, then back up and out the wall above any other portion of the tubing.  Then when done filling, the oil level in the descending portion of the tubing will be at the level of the fluid in tank.  If I set the tank just below the level of the fuel pump (which I didn't draw in the pic), the fuel pump on a 6/1 should have enough suction to draw but the risk of draining the tank is eliminated if I get a leak.   What do you think?   Sorry about the poor quality pic: drew it at work, took pic of it w/ cell phone, e-mailed to myself, then uploaded to Lister gallery --  :D

JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

"The 2nd Amendment is the RESET button of the US Constitution"

Tom Reed

Going to be kind of hard to see the level while filling. Clear hose tends to cloud and crack rather quickly when exposed to diesel too. Since your tank will be in the power shed perhaps a float on the bottom end of a rod that rises out of the top of the barrel would be easiest.

Like your graphics program!
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

mbryner

Thanks Tom.  I used clear tubing for a sight glass for the crankcase oil.   Because of crankcase vacuum you can only use it when the engine isn't running.  But now I got the idea from another thread to run it back to the camshaft oiler hole to equalize the pressure.   Anyway, that tube is still clear and flexible after being there for a year, that's how I came up w/ this idea.   Maybe I'm asking for trouble?

I'm not too worried about seeing the level while filling because I'll be outside the powerhouse while any gauge will be inside.   I'll just have to estimate how much I need to put in the tank when it gets low.

Marcus
JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

mbryner

Quotearrange it so the light bulb goes OFF when the tank is full so that you don't get a surprise from a burnt out light bulb or similar.
Do not run the fuel line right to the bottom. Leave at least a couple or more inches for crap (and water) to settle out in.

Thanks Jens.  Good ideas.  You posted while I was writing back to Tom.  The WMO I'm going to use is settling in other drums for >1 year and will go through another filter first, but those are good principles to follow.

Apogee

Why not just spend $35 and be done with it?

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ATAGLANCE-Level-Gauge-5CYV2?cm_mmc=Google%20Base-_-Material%20Handling-_-Drums-_-5CYV2

They also sell this one with an audible alarm that you'd be able to hear while filling on the other side of the wall for ~ $100.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ATAGLANCE-Audible-Tank-Alarm-5CYW4?BaseItem=5CYV2

You could likely modify the top one easily enough to make it audible by adding one of these to the top unit by using the indicator to close the circuit. I'd be looking at gluing a small neo magnet inside of the indicator, then attaching a reed switch on the outside of the indicator tube.  Simple and should work pretty slick.  Or, you could just spend the $100 and allocate the time somewhere else...

http://www.harborfreight.com/water-overflow-alarm-92334.html

Just a few ideas.

Steve

mbryner

QuoteWhy not just spend $35 and be done with it?

Because I didn't know that existed at that price.  Thank you.  I steal foopid, errr feel stupid.  Bear w/ me guys, I don't even know where to look for a many of the parts.   Google searches sometimes come up w/ pretty expensive components.

Will a 'roid fuel pump be able to draw from 3 ft down because that gauge will make me set the tank vertical?

Apogee

Hi Marcus,

Not trying to make anyone feel stupid - sorry if I did!   :-[

It's all about sharing ideas here.

Please keep us posted on how you tackle it as I'm sure it will be interesting.

Best regards,

Steve

PS - I did like the clear tubing approach because it's so simple.  However, I agree with others that you will need to find tubing that can handle the diesel.

Tom Reed

Way cool dude! I didn't know those existed either. There is a LOT of neat stuff for drums out there.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

mbryner

Oh no Steve, don't worry.  No offense taken.   :)

I notice that Grainger has a tons of other stuff for oil drums.  It will take a while to look through.

Jens, I use a 20 gallon translucent Ag sprayer tank currently for diesel, but some here said it would fall apart.   The larger plastic tanks for diesel use are *expensive*.   Always trying to save a buck! 

Carlb

Quote from: mbryner on December 09, 2010, 01:49:16 PM
Oh no Steve, don't worry.  No offense taken.   :)

I notice that Grainger has a tons of other stuff for oil drums.  It will take a while to look through.

Jens, I use a 20 gallon translucent Ag sprayer tank currently for diesel, but some here said it would fall apart.   The larger plastic tanks for diesel use are *expensive*.   Always trying to save a buck! 

You can also find a bunch of neat stuff for these types of projects at www.Mcmastercarr.com 
My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

bschwartz

- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

mbryner

Hmmmm.   Interesting.  I like it.   Thank you.  Now so many options.......   My head is spinning.   Need to take some measurements in the powerhouse tomorrow.

BioHazard

Probably too small for your use, but I just noticed these at Surplus Center and thought they were cool...
https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-7936
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

Ronmar

Quote from: mbryner on December 09, 2010, 01:36:25 PM
Will a 'roid fuel pump be able to draw from 3 ft down because that gauge will make me set the tank vertical?

What roid fuel pump?  Mine dosn't have one...  It has an injector pump, and like most IP's it must be supplied with fuel.  Many diesels incorporate a "lift" pump into the injector assembly design to Lift the fuel from the tank to the injector pump, so it receives unrestricted fuel...  Your going to have to lift the tank up, or lift the fuel with an auxillary pump so it can gravity feed teh IP...
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

mobile_bob

one excellent option for a fuel tank is a "new" (and i stress "new") propane tank that is 200lbs capacity
or larger.

a 200lb propane tank will hold approx 60 gallons and has a nice feature included, that being a dial fuel level
mechanical gauge included.

"new" propane tanks can safely be drilled, ground on and welded without fear of explosion, however it is always
a good idea to either fill them with water or co2 to evacuate the air.

a "used" propane tank can be used if you either fill with water or co2 to evacuate all of the propane, however
that stinking oil they put in to add the distinctive odor to propane is damn near impossible to get out of the tank
and will make you, your clothes, hands, and the fuel put in it smell like a dead animal big time.

don't ask me how i know this.

i have used new propane tanks for years for evacuation tanks, by adding a vacuum source i can suck up motor oil, tranny lube
and differential lube quickly and easily, and also use another for delivery of fresh oil on our service trucks.

they are nice to work with and tougher than a 55 gallon drum, and will stand pressure and high vacuum levels too.

fwiw

bob g