we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Changfa versus Changchai

Started by Deltron, December 04, 2010, 05:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobile_bob

600-700lbs

patewieeee, you are just gettin started

it just starts getting exciting when you get over about 1200 lbs.

glad to hear you have your new baby home

:)

bob g

Deltron

Quote from: mobile_bob on December 10, 2010, 09:29:00 PM
600-700lbs

patewieeee, you are just gettin started

it just starts getting exciting when you get over about 1200 lbs.

glad to hear you have your new baby home

:)

bob g
I want a GM90 but don't really want to drive to Canada to get one. I guess it's a bit heavier than this. Any ideas where to get one at a good price in the Midwest?

bschwartz

I don't know about a GM90, but you could get one of the real English Listers.
http://www.microcogen.info/index.php?topic=1436.0

- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

Deltron

I'm really surprised, 20 degrees outside and this thing fired right up with very little smoke. I ran it for about an hour. The oil pressure stabilized @ 90 PSI and the temperature stayed right at 190 degrees.

The solenoid thing on the front of the unit retracts while starting and drops back as soon as you take your finger off the starter. I have utterly no idea what it does. The center button says hold down while starting but it doesn't seem to do much. If you push it  you can hear a relay click inside the box with the meters. If you push the emergency stop button you can hear the relay click again. It does this with no power so it's some kind of mechanical linkage. The emergency stop button on the left doesn't do anything nor do the Murphy gauge contacts so something is amiss.

I traced a wire to some kind of device that is hooked up to the fuel injector so maybe that's the thing that shuts the machine down if you hit emergency stop or the gauges make contact. I'll have to take my meter and see if there's any kind of signal to it. My Fluke meter says the generator is outputting voltage but if I hook a load up there's nothing there and the meter zeroes out. I know nothing about these heads so any advice would be appreciated. I'll take a picture of the wiring if that will help.

I'm surprised how quiet the exhaust is but the engine is mechanically very loud. The diesel knock is quite high. Probably the emergency stop/gauges is a minor deal along with the generator head. I'm thinking I got an OK deal.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

mobile_bob

you got a horrible deal, you got screwed, blued and tattoo'd my friend!

let me send you 500 bucks and take that noisy POS off your hands!

8)

seriously you got a very good deal, not an ok deal.

anytime you can buy something you can use, and even if it fails to work and can
be parted out and sold for more than you paid for it, you got an excellent deal!

most of us when we get stung, have only so much scrap iron and have to be really creative
to even recover part of our investment.

for instance, if you plan on deleting the radiator, fan and pump assy, put them up on ebay
and you likely will find someone that will give you 50-100 bucks for them, especially if you throw in
the fuel tank, muffler and intake,,, don't ask me why but there will be someone that will buy that stuff.

then you are only in this thing what? 400 bucks?

much like a southbend lathe, where you buy a complete lathe for 1500, and sell it in parts on ebay for 5 grand or more.
that happens everyday!

bob g

Deltron

I'm sitting here on an island called Dominica and I've seen dozens of these engines running water pumps, generators and air compressors. The Chinese are building some roads here and it looks like these engines power everything.

wrightkiller

Deltron