News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Changfa versus Changchai

Started by Deltron, December 04, 2010, 05:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deltron

OK, I offered $500 and he took it. It's a generator with an English Stamford 1800 RPM 4 pole 8kw head so I guess I'll do OK.  If nothing else I can find an old Lister and drive the head. I'm kind of surprised to see a temp and oil pressure gauge.  I was told they paid over $5k for it. If it's electric start, and I assume it is with the S195nm nomenclature, then I have no idea where the wiring is hidden. It's never been started. Anybody have an extra starting handle?

I've played with Listers before, never seen one of these. May I assume a complete tear down, cleaning, high quality bearings and remote cooling is in order?

Here's some pictures:

mbryner

ditto what Jens said.

My FIL just paid a few hundred more than that for a Changchai with decent gen head and we thought we had a good deal.

I'm sending Deltron lottery ticket money too.
JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

"The 2nd Amendment is the RESET button of the US Constitution"

mobile_bob

you got some interesting options, there

the electric fuel solenoid is something i have not seen done, mainly because the changfa s195 idi engine's don't have the port to
install one.

i think you got an excellent deal, parts alone would fetch you a nice return on your investment

nice find, and a good buy

bob g

Deltron

Quote from: mobile_bob on December 06, 2010, 05:55:30 PM
you got some interesting options, there

the electric fuel solenoid is something i have not seen done, mainly because the changfa s195 idi engine's don't have the port to install one.
Fuel solenoid? There's no paperwork whatsoever on the unit except the owner's manual on the generator head.

I didn't even note if it's direct or IDI. I'm guessing I'm going to be asking a lot of questions around here.

Henry W

You got a great deal!!! :) I would go through that engine before first startup. You do it right that setup will last a long time.

Henry

mobile_bob

its looks like you got two murphy gauges too!

ok, why mess with it, i will send you 500 bucks and you can forget this horrible nightmare
and get on with your life!

what a deal

;)

bob g

slowspeed

Yaaaaa
I feel like I just got a new toy
You did good !! Merrychristmas!
I hope we can help
http://sites.google.com/site/martinnile/
This site was a lot of help to me
even a blind squirrel gets a acorn once in awhile
Working with Witte 15/1,WVO Lister 12/2 with 25kw Gen head,Gasifier,Sterling Engine,Solar,Hydrogen,300sd Benz on WVO,Dodge Truck on WVO

Deltron

Quote from: Jens on December 06, 2010, 05:32:56 PM
Let me get this right .... you got a generator WITH a brand name Stamford generator head that has never been started for $500 ?????
Well, I'd really hate to overpay for something.  :o

Unless I've been really steered wrong it seems the Changchai engines aren't well loved. Since I know utterly nothing about these engines then I guess I'll take it partially apart and make sure it has quality bearings in it and is spotlessly clean then fire it up. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the parts interchangeable between the various manufacturers of these?  If so then I would assume replacement parts if needed could be sourced from a quality supplier. Other than the stock fuel tank and radiator issues, which are easily fixed, what's the real weak point in these engines?

Also, for you genhead experts, what would I need to do to this head to operate at 50hz, 230 volts? Is it as simple as reducing engine RPM and changing a capacitor or is the head more sophisticated than the standard ST?

I also could pick up one of those GM90 Listeroids from Canada and have something that would probably never die.

Thanks, Bill.

mobile_bob

things i would really look at, in no particular order

1. get rid of the radiator/fan and go with a flatplate and either thermosiphon or use a quality pump and externally mounted
radiator

2. ditch the fuel tank,

3. replace both the muffler and aircleaner for something of better quality

4. removed the gear case cover and replace all internal fasteners with quality bolts/screws and such.

5. remove the rear crankcase cover and have a look inside, check the oil pump pickup tube and screen,

6. replace the counter balance shaft brgs, these are under a lot of stress, so you want good quality brgs here.

7. check the rocker alignment, and i would replace the rocker mounting stud, as it  also doubles as the valve cover
hold down, if this stud is elcheapo it might break and the valve cover falls off, and you lose oil and the engine is destroyed.
that is unless the thing breaks off under the rocker shaft and then you have a stalled engine.

8. check the valve keepers to see if they fit the valves properly and don't have swarf caught under them and the cap or stem.

9. use adel clamps to secure and support both the high pressure injection line at the intake manifold bolt which is about the midpoint, and

10. use another adel clamp, to secure the oil feed line from behind the flywheel to the valve cover, secure it to the exhaust manifold bolt which is approx midpoint, this keeps the steel line from vibrating and failing, which dumps you oil in a hurry.

11. check the big end brg for condition on the conrod, probably looks fine, but check it anyway, and be sure to retorque to specs.

these are the major issues that are easily checked and rectified.

bob g

Benchmark

Deltron,
I'm the one who bought one of the same units for $700. Seller said it only had 10 hrs on it. It's more and more believable, the more I scrutinize it. I've had mine running a couple times (total maybe 40min) and everything looks and sounds fine. But after reading this thread, I think I'm gonna break it down even further and make sure about Bob's "issue list."
BTW is that the original literature in a zip-loc bag that came w/ the unit? If so, could you send me copies of whatever you have? I have absolutely nothing with mine.
Let's keep each other posted on findings, etc. okay?
Mark D

Deltron

Mark, here's a copy of the only paperwork I have: http://www.cumminsgeneratortechnologies.com/www/en/common/pdfs/manuals/bc/TD_BC%20MAN%20GB_01_10_Rev04.pdf It's a copy of what you saw in the picture.

I've never even seen one of these engines before. For that matter this was a total accidental purchase. Sort of a guy thing, "oh cool, big metal thing with a diesel engine".  :D

Slowspeed's post above has a link to an engine that's similar and this outfit supposedly has parts: http://www.chinadiesel.net/Changchai-195-1100-parts/index.html

I still need to run over and pick it up so I can't tell you much of anything about it. I'm out of the country until mid January but when I get back I'll play around with it some (like I don't have a whole heck of a lot of other things to do).

Benchmark

Thanks, Bill, for the gen head manual. very helpful. Looks like my unit is very nearly identical to yours. The gen head for sure.
Like you, my spare time comes in rather small, widely scattered pieces. but I'll let you know when I learn anything more.
Mark D

Deltron

Mark, mind posting some pictures?

--Bill.

Benchmark

Not at all, Bill.
Hope to do so this week-end. I'm busier than a monkey with 50 feet of rope until then. But it would be fun to compare.
Thanks,
Mark

Deltron

"oh cool, big metal thing with a diesel engine" must weigh 6 or 7 hundred pounds.  :o  It's sitting on my trailer in the back yard and I have no idea who I can con to help me put it in the garage. They had a small forklift to load it.