News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Changfa versus Changchai

Started by Deltron, December 04, 2010, 05:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry W

On the S195 the drain plugs are on the flywheel side of the cylinder block. On most larger S and ZS series Changfa type engines the drain is directly on the bottom of the cylinder block.

Henry

bschwartz

"Chang chai "  Isn't that a Kosher Chineese restaurant in Brooklyn, NY?

..........Most of you won't get the humor.......
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

d34

Quote from: hwew on December 05, 2010, 05:42:02 PM
On the S195 the drain plugs are on the flywheel side of the cylinder block. On most larger S and ZS series Changfa type engines the drain is directly on the bottom of the cylinder block.

Henry

There was a valve on the bottom of the cylinder that was not on the 195. Problem is when I turned it nothing came out. I will look at it again tomorrow. Thanx.
GM90 6/1 ST5 (ready for emergency)
Changfa ZS1105GNM with 10kw gen head
S195 no gen head
1600 watts of solar panels are now here waiting for install
2635 watts of solar panels, Outback 3648 & 3048 Inverters, MX60, Mate
840Ah (20 hr rate) 48v battery bank & 660Ah (8 hr rate) 48v battery bank

Henry W

It is most likely plugged with rust or scale. Open the valve and take a nail or piece of wire coat hanger and try to push it in and wiggle it around than pull it out. If nothing comes out I recommend removing the valve and see if water drains out. If not than try a nail or piece of wire again.

Henry

vdubnut62

My 1100 was full of mud down at the bottom of the cooling passages. Looked like the cooling water had literally been scooped up from puddles. My son took the valve out and pressure washed the thing, that helped some, but in the end we pulled the head and poked with a coat hanger to start with. That was followed by water and air hoses, it'll get a good dose of brick acid before it's put in regular service.
Oh I forgot, the valve only has a hole about the size of a kitchen match stem, doesn't take a lot to plug it.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Henry W

The way I used to flush my Golden Flying Fish S195 engine is I removed the drain valve inserted a fitting so a garden hose can be hooked up than turn water on full until the over flowing water is clean. You can also hook a air line to the water hose and give it a shot of air in the hose while water flush is taking place. That will loosens things up good.

Henry

Henry W

Worst case, like others said. Muriatic Acid, then follow up with Sodium Bicarbinate (Baking Soda).

Henry

d34

Thanx for the info guys. I will check it out tomorrow.
GM90 6/1 ST5 (ready for emergency)
Changfa ZS1105GNM with 10kw gen head
S195 no gen head
1600 watts of solar panels are now here waiting for install
2635 watts of solar panels, Outback 3648 & 3048 Inverters, MX60, Mate
840Ah (20 hr rate) 48v battery bank & 660Ah (8 hr rate) 48v battery bank

vdubnut62

Ha! I forgot about the step to neutralize the acid! My water here has so much lime in it that I don't have to worry about it.
Kidney stone central. I drink lemon in my water, take an occasional snort of cider vinegar, and eat a bunch of pickled stuff.
Aside effect is bugs don't like the way I taste. :D
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

slowspeed

Looks like a leak.Lets take it apart and get rid of that little rad.
It was a big mess inside(it may have been from Just water)

Working with Witte 15/1,WVO Lister 12/2 with 25kw Gen head,Gasifier,Sterling Engine,Solar,Hydrogen,300sd Benz on WVO,Dodge Truck on WVO

Deltron

I spoke to Hardy Diesel about this particular engine since they supply the parts. They said stay far far away from it. I guess I'll leave it with the guy for somebody else.

Henry W

What is their reason for staying away from the Changchai engine.

Henry

slowspeed

if the price is right
buy it
anything can be fixed
Working with Witte 15/1,WVO Lister 12/2 with 25kw Gen head,Gasifier,Sterling Engine,Solar,Hydrogen,300sd Benz on WVO,Dodge Truck on WVO

Henry W

If it was just put together poorly than just take it apart and use good fasteners when reassembling properly. As long as the parts are good It can be made into a reliable engine.

Henry

mobile_bob

i concur

the worst chinese engine is likely better than the best efforts out of india, at least as far as the core engine
integrity.

the radiator/fan crap notwithstanding.

if the thing can be bought reasonably, and by reasonable i would go as much as maybe 500-600 bucks
if it is NOS and not been put to work.

then do as Henry suggests take the darn thing apart, replace all the questionable fastener with something
of reasonable quality, check everything for fitting properly and it will likely run a very long time.

if you do take it all apart, i would probably suggest replacing the countershaft brgs, because these are rather
heavily loaded and the chinese can use some very low quality brgs that might not last as long as one would like them to.

remember the lower countershaft drives the oil pump, if the brg fails on that end of the shaft it "will" take out the oil
pump and there goes the engine.

fwiw

bob g