News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Runnin' my meter backwards!!!

Started by bschwartz, December 03, 2010, 08:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bschwartz

Well, it's ugly, horribly inefficient, and temporary, but I'm currently pushing 12 amps @ 123v (approx 1500 watts) back into the grid  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The Metro 6/1 is turning the ST-5, putting out 240V AC, powering a 240V AC - 48V DC power supply (cranked up to 52V at 34 amps), the DC output is paralleled with my 4 cheapo Sam's Club 12 batteries feeding into my GVFX3648 (the Outback Mate is showing the 12 AAC into the grid).

It is SO NICE seeing the electric meter turning backwards!!!!

I still plan on doing the ST 60v mod, but until I get that going, I can now burn some extra WVO I need to get rid of and NOT have flickering lights!!!
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

slowspeed

Working with Witte 15/1,WVO Lister 12/2 with 25kw Gen head,Gasifier,Sterling Engine,Solar,Hydrogen,300sd Benz on WVO,Dodge Truck on WVO

BioHazard

Your meter still spins? :D Mine are all digital, and probably would report me to the police for such a thing... ::)
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

bschwartz

- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170

TimSR2

I've done it a few times directly. Having a V belt drive allows you to  force  an ST head to lock  to the grid just by clicking the breaker. You get a big screech and then you're locked on.....  inch up the throttle a tiny bit and away you go. Of course should your engine die it will keep on spinning.  Forever.

Seriously I think it costs about 10x in fuel, never mind wear and tear so there is really little benefit to this exercise. And it's probably dangerous :-)

BioHazard

Quote from: TimSR2 on December 03, 2010, 10:50:05 PMSeriously I think it costs about 10x in fuel, never mind wear and tear so there is really little benefit to this exercise. And it's probably dangerous :-)

Depends on where you are, how much you're paying for heat, and how much you're paying for electricity. I'm trying to build a natural gas cogenerator, and when I calculate how much the heat I make is worth, added to the electricity, I can actually make a small profit, compared to my 80% efficient gas furnace. The biggest problem is that it makes more heat that I need...

oiler

Perhaps you where better off buing a new furnace. A new condensing unit is 105% efficient...
Lister Startomatic 6/1 to be restored
Lister D 1937
Lister LT1

Carlb

Quote from: oiler on December 04, 2010, 10:26:22 AM
Perhaps you where better off buing a new furnace. A new condensing unit is 105% efficient...

How can it be over 100% efficient?
My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

LowGear

Come-on Carlb,

You've given 105% haven't you. 

Casey

Tom Reed

Inquiring minds want to know, how did you manage to control the current draw?
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

bschwartz

Quote from: Tom on December 04, 2010, 06:02:55 PM
Inquiring minds want to know, how did you manage to control the current draw?

Easy!!! My 48v power supply has two smaller units inside stacked together.
I unplugged one  ;D

I don't know how long this one will last at full draw, but that's what experimenting is all about.

The Outback sucks as hard as it can, and the poor power supply gives all it's got!!

OK, you got me, I didn't control it at all, I just got lucky.
- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170

BioHazard

Quote from: oiler on December 04, 2010, 10:26:22 AM
Where is the fun in that?  ;) Isn't that what cogeneration is all about anyway? It's not "co" generation if you're not using the heat...

Tom Reed

Well it sounds like you've found a way to make the 2 systems compromise. Very good! It's liberating to see that meter go backwards. Even more so not have an electric meter or bill at all. 
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

rcavictim

Quote from: TimSR2 on December 03, 2010, 10:50:05 PM
I've done it a few times directly. Having a V belt drive allows you to  force  an ST head to lock  to the grid just by clicking the breaker. You get a big screech and then you're locked on.....  inch up the throttle a tiny bit and away you go. Of course should your engine die it will keep on spinning.  Forever.

Seriously I think it costs about 10x in fuel, never mind wear and tear so there is really little benefit to this exercise. And it's probably dangerous :-)

That's a great way to explode your ST head.  Even with a slip clutch, (the belt) to your prime mover you need to consider the incredible shock damage to your synchronous generator.  I would never attempt a contact closure to the mains unless I had at a minimum a simple light bulb phase synchronizer in the circuit!!!!!  It only costs a few dollars or salvaged components to make one of these.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

bschwartz

Tom, no meter or bill would be nice, but when your equipment goes down, you have to explain to SWMBO why everything in the freezer is defrosting and dripping on the floor..........

I'm happy to stick with generating what I can and knowing with 99 percent comfort that there will always be the grid for when i want it.
- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170