News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

What's so great about a Changfa?

Started by Randybee1, December 02, 2010, 04:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NevadaBlue

In the late 90s, I was working on a homestead that had no grid power available (well, for 20 grand I could get it). So, since I had to drill a well, I needed power (too deep for any windmill I could get my hands on) and I wanted power for things like washing machines and such. So, I studied what was available and what I could afford.
For less than 3 grand delivered, I got a 10KW generator with the china diesel on it. Electric start with alternator, ready to run. I chose the brush type genhead for simplicity and repairability. Nothing else new could come close for price and value. I didn't have the option of used equipment, nothing available around here.
Since spare parts came with the rig, it was the right one for me. It is currently sitting in a horse trailer patiently waiting for spring. The trailer will become an insulated portable generator house. My tentative plan is to add my secondary solar power setup to the mix too.
Good engine for a good price.

playdiesel

Quote from: Randybee1 on December 02, 2010, 11:31:36 AM
Yes, I have often heard they are LOUD. Can this be muted by a large muffler? or are they just LOUD no matter what you do?

Randy B

My Changfa might be loud,
But yer Briggs and stratten is blowed up,,again
I gots power and you aint,,,

And I can wear ear  muffs ;D

Ya they are pretty loud and like the other poster said the exhaust is about the least of it.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

vdubnut62

Yep, I put a great big muffler on my S1100 and although the exhaust is quiet, it still rattles and knocks like the Devil! It's going to have to live in it's own little detached house for sure.
Other than that, it's like the Energizer Bunny, and it'll happily run on just about anything greasy that will pour.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

flywheel

Pretty little Changfas all in a row, holding down my garage floor.  New preban 1115's,  I still remember the Scout motto - Always be prepared.
                                                flywheel
Never met a diesel engine I didnt like.

mobile_bob

what a beautiful sight,

it brings a tear to my eye!

you must be a proud papa there flywheel

;)

bob g

flywheel

This is what the injection pump looks like for the Chinese horizontal diesel engines,  slightly smaller than what is used on the roids.
                                flywheel

rcavictim

Quote from: flywheel on December 02, 2010, 10:12:27 PM
Pretty little Changfas all in a row, holding down my garage floor.  New preban 1115's,  I still remember the Scout motto - Always be prepared.
                                                flywheel

Gee whiz Flywheel, me thinks you suffer from OCD.  Obsessive Changfa Disorder.  ;)  Do they just start to reproduce if more than one are left alone for a while?  So what's it like to live in Changrala?  Or is that Changfala?  ;D

That is the exact same model 1115 I bought but I only got one and I'm finally using it.  I sure wish I had a second as a 'spare' or perhaps to use as a breeder engine.  :D

Nice!
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

NevadaBlue

Oh, and they have a headlight... what other engine comes with a headlight?  ;D

wiebe

Quote from: NevadaBlue on December 03, 2010, 02:11:49 AM
Oh, and they have a headlight... what other engine comes with a headlight?  ;D

a kubota.
kubota knd3

Randybee1

Alright, you guys convinced me to get one if I see one for sale. But I have to warn ya, if my wife sees me bringing home ONE MORE DIESEL ENGINE... she's gonna hunt you guys down and do ..I don't know what.. but you better pray, pray hard is all I can say ;D

Randy B (being "coerced" into buying another engine)

You guys are PUSHERS!.. didn't the cops have a slogan back in the 70's? Called "TIP", turn in a pusher? and all this time I thought they were talking about drug dealers..silly me!

playdiesel

Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

slowspeed

A guy in cali. has 2 changfas $300 each
PM me ill give you his info
Working with Witte 15/1,WVO Lister 12/2 with 25kw Gen head,Gasifier,Sterling Engine,Solar,Hydrogen,300sd Benz on WVO,Dodge Truck on WVO

flywheel

Quote from: Randybee1 on December 03, 2010, 03:12:00 AM
Alright, you guys convinced me to get one if I see one for sale. But I have to warn ya, if my wife sees me bringing home ONE MORE DIESEL ENGINE... she's gonna hunt you guys down and do ..I don't know what.. but you better pray, pray hard is all I can say ;D
Its easy to sneak another one home - just give her a couple hundred and while she is out shopping bring it home and hide it!

Randy B (being "coerced" into buying another engine)

You guys are PUSHERS!.. didn't the cops have a slogan back in the 70's? Called "TIP", turn in a pusher? and all this time I thought they were talking about drug dealers..silly me!

vdubnut62

Heck, yes! What flywheel said, just sneak it in while she's gone. I have so much junk and crap irreplaceable equipment  around that new stuff will just blend in and She never notices ;D
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Randybee1

Quote from: vdubnut62 on December 03, 2010, 10:08:38 AM
Heck, yes! What flywheel said, just sneak it in while she's gone. I have so much junk and crap irreplaceable equipment  around that new stuff will just blend in and She never notices ;D
Ron

Yeah, pretty funny! One year I went out and bought a 20 ton shop press. I assembled it and put in the corner of the garage. Figured my wife would never know about it since it blended it i with all the other "stuff". I swear it wasn't in there for more than 3 days when my wife asked "What's that big red thing" :-\

Anyway, I agree, another engine probably would not be noticed!

Ra andy B