Marcus and his FIL's changfa engine topic

Started by mobile_bob, November 29, 2010, 07:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobile_bob

it seems the thread was lost?

over the last week Marcus took a trip to the offgridders cultural center of the universe (George B's of utterpower fame)
to pickup some parts for his injured listeroid.

while on there return trip they stopped down in southern washington and bought a chinese s195 (iirc) with a genhead

the end result is we not only got another changfa type in our group, but a new member!

he had posted a bit about the trip and the project, and somehow it got deleted, so...

i figured i would restart the thread here, this way our new member and his new project might feel free to jump back in
and tell us more about himself, his new project and what his plans might be for it.

btw, feel free to rename this post, and delete my entry
i just didn't want a new member to feel like he did something wrong, or that we didn't feel his contribution was worthy.

nothing is further from the case, we welcome one and all to our rather diverse group.

an speaking at least for me

"LONG LIVE THE MIGHTY CHANGFA"!!!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

:)

bob g

JohnF

Bob;

My s195 is powering up the house as I type.  I'm hanging my head in shame........
John F
www.woodnstuff.ca
Listers, Changfas, Redstones, AG's and anything else diesel I can get my hands on!

mobile_bob

AdeV

Quote from: JohnF on November 29, 2010, 09:33:54 AM

I'm hanging my head in shame........

Are you sure it's not just the weight of your ear defenders...?  ;D
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

mbryner

Mark will be back.   I know he got it unloaded from the pickup on Friday with the help of a neighbor with a backhoe.  (We live 1.5 hours north of my in-laws.)   Don't know what he's done with it since, but he did text me last night wondering where the thread and his "hello post" went.   He's talking about getting the radiator adaptor plate from George B., removing fuel tank, etc.  

Marcus

P.S.  my wife is wondering if the forum got "threadbare"   ;D
JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

"The 2nd Amendment is the RESET button of the US Constitution"

AdeV

On the subject of the missing posts.... I don't know where they've gone (and I know I didn't accidentally delete them...); I'll have a poke through the backups to see if I can see when they went missing. If it's a whole thread thing, I may be able to resurrect it...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

Benchmark

Hello Again, Bob and all you stalwart (tho' perhaps somewhat hearing deprived) changfa-type cogeners,
I am indeed Marcus' FIL otherwise known as Mark (not too confusing, I hope). Thanks, Bob for your kindly and reassuring words re: what happened to my first post. It was so beneficial to visit the "offgridders' center of the universe" before having braved the elements and and drivers of the Washington I-5 corridor. Exhilarating if not life-threatening. Thanks George for all the good counsel about what to look for and look out for. Very helpful.
As to what I want to do with my chang: ultimately use it for off grid set up. That won't be immediate however. First step will be to power a barn and shop building. I want to use that to sort out installation, electrics, fuel management, etc. Then construct a linkage to the house/well so I don't black out and freeze when the grid goes down (we've had 3 significant power outages just since we moved here in July).
My most immediate needs probably center around getting cooling and exhaust systems set up (i.e. remote radiator - I can already see that the onboard rad will be vibrated into confetti -- or maybe pudding -- pretty quickly with the way this thing rattles around).
It would really be helpful to have a manual or at least some diagrams, anyone know where I could such? Also, there were no spare parts or tools such as were supposed to come with it. But for what seems at first blush to be a good-running unit, $700 is a good deal so I'm not whining, just looking.
One more thing I mentioned in my disappearing post was that there didn't seem to be anything from the alternator charging the battery. A manual would be really helpful in that regard perhaps.
Really glad to be on the Forum,
Mark D.

slowspeed

Hi Mark
Hope you find all the info on this site help full
i have
Do you have a fan on the radiator,When I took mine off I found that the fan has a small PMM
that put out power for charging the battery and will light the Light

First photo See my fan hanging ? It had or has a pmm giving off 13 volt

I put a car alternator in its place for more amps
Working with Witte 15/1,WVO Lister 12/2 with 25kw Gen head,Gasifier,Sterling Engine,Solar,Hydrogen,300sd Benz on WVO,Dodge Truck on WVO

XYZER

Mark,
I picked up an EA500NB 12hp Kubota. I believe it is what the Chinese copied ....or was it Yanmar not sure but anyways the charger on mine puts outs 8.0volts not much good in our at least 12v anyway world. Check the output next time you have it running I'm curious. If you remove the radiator will the fan and generator not be needed?
http://www.microcogen.info/index.php?topic=801.0
Dave
Vidhata 6/1, Power Solutions 6/1, Kubota Z482

Benchmark

Bob,
I have indeed found the forum very informative -- not to mention slightly addictive.
Yes, I do have a fan/radiator set-up. I'm going to take the radiator apart and see if I can locate the magneto you referred to in your last post. I did not mention that the unit is a Hardy Diesel set-up with what looks like a low-oil pressure cut off solenoid already attached, and a 2-belt flywheel to gen head connection. I presume you just put your alternator in place of your radiator fan? Shouldn't be too hard to do, I wouldn't think.

By the way, do you or anyone else out there know about "Hardy Diesel"? I looked them up on the web, but couldn't find anything on their website that referred to their older gen sets. I'd love to get my hands on the paperwork/spares/toolkit that was supposed to have come with it.

Thanks again, Bob for the helpful pix.

Mark D

Tom Reed

They were the first "China diesel" I ever knew of from back in the '80's. The California Air Resources Board put them out of business when the could not sell in the state.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom