News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Hopper adapter plates - Thermosiphon

Started by veggie, November 27, 2010, 09:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veggie

Question to those who have installed thermosiphon adapter plates to replace your hopper on a Changfa.

On the underside of your adapter plate, was it necessary to have an extension pipe on one of the ports.
The idea being that one port would extend deeper in to the water jacket to help the thermsiphon effect.
I have seen some designs with an extension (dip tube) and others that do not (such as the ones from George B).
Can anyone comment on this.?

For those who do not have an dip tube, is the thermosiphon working well ?

thanks in advance,
veggie

mobile_bob

they need the extension, and from what i have heard there needs to be a thermal break
in the extension pipe, usually a short piece of rubber or plastic.

from what i understand they work well

bob g

ryanw95

without the dip tube on one of them, wouldn't it be more of a condenser?
handfull of horizontal water-cooled Changfa-style motors, in tractor, generators, etc.

rcavictim

Quote from: mobile_bob on November 27, 2010, 10:08:44 PM
they need the extension, and from what i have heard there needs to be a thermal break
in the extension pipe, usually a short piece of rubber or plastic.

from what i understand they work well

bob g

I made one for my Changfa 1115 with an extension tube down one side of the cylinder for cooled water return from the radiator and no thermal break.  It works perfectly.  1" ID heater hose.  7 lb. rad cap.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

slowspeed

1/4 inch steel pl 1 1/2 inch hole ,the pipe is below or into the hopper about 2 inch
or about as far as it will go
Used JB WELD
The jb is good for now ,no leaks
Thermosiphon is working good
Working with Witte 15/1,WVO Lister 12/2 with 25kw Gen head,Gasifier,Sterling Engine,Solar,Hydrogen,300sd Benz on WVO,Dodge Truck on WVO

slowspeed

Working with Witte 15/1,WVO Lister 12/2 with 25kw Gen head,Gasifier,Sterling Engine,Solar,Hydrogen,300sd Benz on WVO,Dodge Truck on WVO

slowspeed

slowspeed

ryanw95

I've wondered about making one of these hopper delete plates for my chinese diesels. I might have to do it now since it looks relatively easy-ish.

handfull of horizontal water-cooled Changfa-style motors, in tractor, generators, etc.

veggie

Slowspeed,

Thanks very much for the photos.
Picture really do help!

veggie

Crofter

In one of slowspeeds photos the return from the radiator appears to go into the cylinder head (hottest part of the engine. That is not the typical temperature spot to have the return.

If the fitting on the plate is the hot discharge, how is the air bled out if the end of the fitting dips several inches below the plate. Also if it is the hot discharge connected to the plate cover, why not from the highest point!

If both intake and outlet are on the plate then I can see that the one that is likely to be the return should project as low as possible in order to get the thermosiphon establised. It is not as easy to get pressure differential with a horizontal cylinder so the temperature differential top to bottom of the rad gets to be the biggest driver.

Obviously it works but is extending the discharge below the cover on a one pipea plus or a minus? If there are both pipes on the cover which one should dip?
Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5

playdiesel

We run a 1115/ 15 KW at the farm where we have no grid service and also use it for E-back up at the house. We put a plate on it day one, never ran it any other way. We run a Geo Metro radiator with a fan automaticaly controlled by a fan switch from same car. There isnt room under the plate to take the pipe very far down, maybe 1" not over 1 1/2". We put the return there reasoning that heat rises. Our  out pipe is nearest the head with the return closest to the crank. Ours works very well, it cools the 1115 easily so far. We have not had any long hi output runs in hot weather but I expect no problems. The only slight hitch I have noticed is that when first started once in a great while the system trys to flow backwards. As soon as the block temps get hot it reverses and operates properly. Somebody said something about it being and easy conversion and yes it is. Getting the bolt holes in the right location is a bit tedious. You also need to make sure you dont skimp on the plate material as its a long ways between those bolt holes. We used 1/2" because we had some in the shop but 3/8 would surely do the job, personaly I would not go thinner in a system that uses antifreeze and limited leak reserve like mine.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

slowspeed

duct tape jb weld and baling wire all i need now is a gunny sack  :D     

vdubnut62

Slow speed, what is it that looks like a hose barb above the intake on the cyl head?
Looks like a nipple for a heater hose.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

slowspeed

That it is   - a hose  barb .You do not have it on yours?
I run my return from cooling low side of rad to it

I have a 1100 changfa clone This engine dose not have it