News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Morehouse proving ring

Started by bschwartz, November 26, 2010, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bschwartz

Does anyone know what it is?  And more importantly, does anyone want one?
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

Carlb

i was going to copy and past the info but it was a little long.  Anyone wanting to know can follow the link listed below.

http://www.mhforce.com/AboutProvingRings.htm

My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

cgwymp

Quote from: bschwartz on November 26, 2010, 09:11:21 PM
And more importantly, does anyone want one?

Don't know what I'd use it for, but if you're going to throw it out otherwise....   ;-)
Listeroid 8/1

billswan

Quote from: bschwartz on November 26, 2010, 09:11:21 PM
Does anyone know what it is?  And more importantly, does anyone want one?

Well does that mean you have more than 1

And if you do try ebay

Billswan
16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

bschwartz

I have one that I think came from Sandia Labs.  Sorry for the poorly worded question.  I knew what it was, I was really more interested in knowing if anyone here had a need for it.  Unless I think something is going to sell for $75 or more, I usually don't bother to take the time to ebay it.  Either way, I'd rather send it to a member if it has a use for them.  I figured with all the engineers here, someone was scratching their head saying "now where did I put that darn proving ring..... I wish I had a spare".
- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170

cschuerm

Brett,
I'd *LOVE* to acquire one!  I collect antique instrumentation and calibration equipment (from back when such devices were an art form).  My entire office is decorated with Leeds & Northrup :-)  A proving ring would be right at home beside my beautiful antique dead weight set.  Please let me know what you'd take and I'd also appreciate any pictures you could show.
Thanks,
Chris

BioHazard

Quote from: Carlb on November 27, 2010, 05:01:57 AM
i was going to copy and past the info but it was a little long.  Anyone wanting to know can follow the link listed below.

http://www.mhforce.com/AboutProvingRings.htm

I read most of that and I'm still not quite sure what it is.  :P
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

vdubnut62

This is how I understand it (probably absolutely wrong!)
Say you have an airframe, for example, and you have a big damn jet motor on it, one that is so big that you think it could overstress or deform a certain part of that framework. Connect the proving ring at the suspected problem point, fire the thing up on a test stand, throttle it up and it's then possible to measure exactly how much that area of the  airframe stretches of deforms.

And that is the 8th grade edumacation explanation of the day.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Wizard

This is calibration tool to vertify the stress strain sensors.  Also for other mesuring via stress.

Cheers, Wizard

bschwartz

- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170

bschwartz

Oops.... made the pictures a little too big.  sorry. :-[
- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170

bschwartz

And Chris is the auction winner with a high bid of "I'd *LOVE* to acquire one!"  ;D :D ;D
- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170

cschuerm

YAY! <claps gleefully>
There's just certain packages that just make you really happen when you open them.  When I was a kid (living just down the road from you in Clovis, NM), my grandmother gave me a Mamod steam engine for a Christmas present.  I don't remember much of anything else for the following week.  Between that steam engine and the erector set my parents gave me, I was totally engrossed in building all the things that had been locked up in my imagination.  I bet that house still reeks of nesbit fuel pellets :-)
Sure is a shame that kids today have virtually no concept of imagining and building things.  Near as I can tell, they just spend their days playing video games, watching tv, and texting.

cheers,
Chris

billswan

Nesbit fuel pellets......... now that brings back memories! When I was about maybe 11 or 12 my parents bought me a old smokey steam roller! Still have it sitting on a shelf in the living room. Ran lots of those fuel pellets through that baby...............

It would move slowly across the floor either forward, reverse or run in place. Then one day I figured out if it was out of gear and I put a rubber band around the rear wheel and over the little pulley that was meant to run other toys boy oh boy it was time to race........ :D :D..... It was full steam ahead!

Billswan
16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

bschwartz

What are fuel pellets?  I probably should have used them in my little steam engine instead of the sterno I put in there.  I got the thing so hot it melted the solder/brazing holding the whistle in.... OOPS!!!  It was never the same after that  :(
- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170