News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Magnetic oil pan heater?

Started by NevadaBlue, November 25, 2010, 05:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NevadaBlue

I'm thinking of getting a couple of the magnetic oil pan heaters. One for my tractor and one for my generator. It has been stupid cold here, awful. My poor little Kubota thinks it is very mistreated when it has to start at zero...
I'm planning on putting the pan heaters on a remote switch so I can turn it on from in here where it is warm, maybe a couple of hours before I need to start the engine. Has anyone used these? Seems a good thing.

yellowhead

I tried one of these on my DI Changfa 195 in various locations (oil pan, head beneath the injector, head next to the injector etc). Didn't do a thing but then it was -30 here last week (C or F - you pick  ;D I figure there is just too much metal for the typical unit (mine was 200W) to pump heat into.

What I did find worked like a charm was a heat gun/hair dryer into the air intake. I need to automate this for next year but right now I'm just happy to get the thing started.

I've moved the heater to my Yannie tractor. Hopefully it will help a bit here when it comes time to blow the next snowfall away ...

Simon.

NevadaBlue

I just ordered a couple of 300 watt units. I'll report back on how they work... IF they work. :D

Poverty Ridge

I used one on a T-6 aircraft to warm the oil before the owner would fly it. The heater did an adequate job but then the oil tank was seperated from large chunks of metal that would act as a heat sink.

Check with a autoparts store and maybe you could get a dipstick oil heater.

Another thing--   maybe one could use an oil dilution system to get the oil flowing in the engine quicker. The large radial engines used them in cold climates to aid in starting.

BioHazard

Amazon sells these "pad" heaters for pretty cheap in all shapes and sizes, up to 500 watts:
http://www.amazon.com/Kats-24500-Watt-Universal-Heater/dp/B000I8TQF4/ref=pd_sim_auto_18
(lower wattage is a lot cheaper)

I'm setting up a system on my truck with a 2kw block heater, an oil pan heater, trans pan heater, transfer case heater, and even one on the rear diff! I want to get in an drive away like it's alredy hot.... ;D
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

Tom T

I use the ones like Bio linked on a lot of equipment. I can go out with a Small Honda gen set fire it up and let it heat for a while it it works grate. Have one on my SR2 very happy  with it. Tom T

mike90045

Quite possibly, an "induction" style hot plate would work.  They are about $100 at amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037Z7HQK/ref=oss_product
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037Z7HQK

They work on the actual ferrous metal, heating it, which would in turn, heat the oil.

Since it has a glass top, you'd have to remove before starting.

NevadaBlue

I have used one of the units on my Kubota BX24 two times now. I put it on the oil pan the night before I needed the tractor. Both times it was very cold (around zero) when I went out to start the engine. A few seconds of preheat and she fired right off. None of the cough/choke/smoke like before I had the pan heater. I like it. I'm sure it will make a big difference on the generator when I get it going.

Ronmar

IMO, the pad type heaters are more effective than the magnetic type.  If for no more reason than they cover up more surface area that would radiate the heat put into the system.  Depending on your situation, you need to put more heat into the engine, than can be taken away.  If there is a breeze past the engine, 200W isn't going to go very far in heating things...  I prefer the tank type or freeze plug heaters if the engine has a cooling system.  These heat the coolant inside the engine block and circulate it by thermosiphon.  Way more effective at warming the internals IMO.  I have a 1000W tank heater unit on my 28HP tractor.  I plug it in about 15-20 minutes before I need it, and the upper hoses are usually warm to the touch by the time I am ready to turn the key.  If it got realy persistently cold here, I would add a pad type to the oil pan. 
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

vdubnut62

I just run the pony motor on my old Deere, it heats the coolant and the exhaust is plumbed into the intake manifold of the main engine.
Evidently my Belarus was built to start in Siberia, beats any diesel I ever saw, just a glowplug in the intake and a compression release.
I just wait for warm weather for the JD backhoe and my old International Diesel.
But I do believe block heaters are priceless!
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

DanG

I nabbed a $200 3-cylinder Geo 48mpg Metro last year & reading up on Canadian hyper-milers, in winter they will not leave home without the block - oil - (transmission?) pre-warmed and they'll keep it connected where ever they go if they can. If fuel usage is important to you the 15ยข of electricity used would be a break-even proposition at worst.