News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

a change of course...

Started by mobile_bob, November 24, 2010, 09:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sailawayrb

Just discovered this thread.  Life is what happens while you are planning how to live your life...  This looks like a good turn of events and I see a ham radio in your future.  Congrats Bob!  :)

Bob B.
NZ7N

Apogee

Bob,

Uh, since you won't be needing that 3 phase head, perhaps you'll be looking to dump it during your massive fire sale rather than move it....

You know that us poor souls in Tacoma are barely able to make ends meet and need all the help we can get!

I'm sorry that you're moving as I still hope to meet you, but I'm very glad for you just the same.

Steve  :-)

Henry W

Having three phase just down the road is a big plus. I would jump on it and see if you can get it to the garage.

Henry

Henry W

A matter of fact I have a co-worker holding a Bridgeport milling machine for me. I will pick it up after the first of the year. It might come with a phase converter also. If not I will need to get a 3 phase head.

Henry

billswan

Quote from: mobile_bob on November 30, 2010, 05:48:38 PM
it just keeps gettin better and better, i found out today that there is a three phase line less than a block away!

i know the lineman personally, so i think i can get him to run it down to my place without too much hassle.

never thought i would ever have three phase unless i generated it myself.

maybe every dog "does" have his day?

bob g

Bob

I wouldn't get to confident of being able to get 3 phase. They ( the power company) might be more than willing to install it but when you find out what the billing department thinks the access and the power is worth I think you will say are you kidding! I think a rotary inverter will be in your future at least if you want 3 phase on the grid. That is how 3 phase is sold here in my neck of the woods. Expensive to use unless you have commercial need for larger volumes of power. I am not trying to rain on your parade just pointing out what you would experience here. Like you say sometimes ymmv.
Good luck bob hope I am wrong about the power company.

Billswan
16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

mobile_bob

well for better or worser (as my dear old dad puts it) i am once again a home owner
the house deal closed on the place back in kansas

not sure how i feel about it though, because it marks a dramatic change in my life i guess.

i think it might feel a bit surreal to relocate back to the town of my youth nearly a third of a century later.

that and a change in what i do for a living after doing the same ole thing for nearly 37 years, it just makes a guy feel a bit strange
i guess, however maybe this will be a test to see how it might feel to retire.

not that i will ever be able to fully retire anyway, not sure any of us will be allowed to.

anyway the house is now mine, so i guess its time to get out the drawing pad and get to planning

bob g

Carlb

congratulations on closing Bob and good luck in you new home. I suspect you will be dual fueling that changfa pretty soon.

Carl

My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

BioHazard

Quote from: billswan on December 01, 2010, 05:53:15 AM
I wouldn't get to confident of being able to get 3 phase. They ( the power company) might be more than willing to install it but when you find out what the billing department thinks the access and the power is worth I think you will say are you kidding! I think a rotary inverter will be in your future at least if you want 3 phase on the grid. That is how 3 phase is sold here in my neck of the woods. Expensive to use unless you have commercial need for larger volumes of power. I am not trying to rain on your parade just pointing out what you would experience here. Like you say sometimes ymmv.

I have 3 phase power at my shop, regular split phase at home a few miles away from the same power company. It works out to about $0.10/kwh for the home service and about $0.11/kwh for the 3 phase 400 amp service.
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

rl71459

Congratulations Bob!

Have fun with it all!  Just dont take it too seriously... it takes away the fun if you do.

Rob

EBI-WPO

Congrats Bob,

Don't forget to call for help when you get here (Midwest). Give me a little notice, and I could probably scare up a few days off work.

Terry
To have B.S. aimed at you is an insult to your intelligence......To have B.S. spread about you is an insult to your character.....Neither should be tolerated willingly.   EBI-WPO 2010

oiler

Crofter
That was a good one. If you allow, i'll make it my own ;) ;)

Letting go of some dreams can also be a freedom.

Lister Startomatic 6/1 to be restored
Lister D 1937
Lister LT1

oiler

Quote from: BioHazard on December 30, 2010, 06:10:14 AM

I have 3 phase power at my shop, regular split phase at home a few miles away from the same power company. It works out to about $0.10/kwh for the home service and about $0.11/kwh for the 3 phase 400 amp service.
400 amps!!!! Do you run a small manufacturing buisinees or what! ???
That sure is a lot of juice. I have three phase 25 ams for the whole farm 400 volts but still :o
Lister Startomatic 6/1 to be restored
Lister D 1937
Lister LT1

billswan

Quote from: BioHazard on December 30, 2010, 06:10:14 AM

Bio

I was referring to the minimum line charges. Usually a 3 phase point of use is much higher on a base line charge.

Now if you use enough power than no big deal. But if you don't then those could mount up.

Sorry if I caused any miss understandings as I have trouble putting thoughts on paper.

Billswan
16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

Crofter

You are welcome Oiler; age is causing me to cross some dreams off the list and rearrange some others. I think I managed also to "hand off" a couple; that feels good too!
Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5

BioHazard

Quote from: oiler on December 30, 2010, 12:27:07 PM
400 amps!!!! Do you run a small manufacturing buisinees or what! ???
That sure is a lot of juice. I have three phase 25 ams for the whole farm 400 volts but still :o

LOL...actually I share a meter with 2 neighbors. We have 1600 amps total for the building, 4 meters, and a giant power bill. It's a big commercial building so the lights alone use more than a house. We have an enourmous dedicated transformer out front, I keep wanting to figure out how I can heat water with it.  :o ;D
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?