News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

a change of course...

Started by mobile_bob, November 24, 2010, 09:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slowspeed

Home is where the heart is.
something that you say which means that your true home is with the person or in the place that you love most
After you get the Chanfa  and a Lister in
Youll be a happy camper
The price was right,That place will last forever!
I would make it a home for sure!
Working with Witte 15/1,WVO Lister 12/2 with 25kw Gen head,Gasifier,Sterling Engine,Solar,Hydrogen,300sd Benz on WVO,Dodge Truck on WVO

Apogee

Bob,

Congrats on the new digs!

Very smart move on multiple levels:

1) Getting the heck out of Tacoma (psychoville) and the nanny state.

2) The price and the fact it's paid for with very little to do on it before moving in.

3) Honest self evaluation of your own limitations (I'm not very good at this)

I'm jealous because I think it was a very smart move that will pay HUGE dividends down the road.  Having neighbors nearby as one gets older is not a bad thing. 

AND, you still have the other property to setup your weekend getaway where you can do what you want for FUN and not because you HAVE to in order to live; a very big difference...

Good move!

Happy Thanksgiving,

Steve

d34

Smart move there bob. Now we can all meet at your out of town property for a microcogen rally.  Hopefully it won't be as wild as the biker rallies. Lol
GM90 6/1 ST5 (ready for emergency)
Changfa ZS1105GNM with 10kw gen head
S195 no gen head
1600 watts of solar panels are now here waiting for install
2635 watts of solar panels, Outback 3648 & 3048 Inverters, MX60, Mate
840Ah (20 hr rate) 48v battery bank & 660Ah (8 hr rate) 48v battery bank

mobile_bob

somehow i am thinking our rally would not compete with sturgis, probably not a big draw for the semi naked girls.

but then again, who knows?

if there is beer there is always the unexpected.

anyway, thanks guys for  your encouragement

have a happy turkey day all you guys in the states, and to everyone else have a good thursday

bob g

SHIPCHIEF

Happy Turkey Day Bob;
I like your new digs. That shop looks like a good little lab for cooking up your projects. The outside pics look like it is secure enough to take a trip out of town and not worry too much about a break in.
I like the shop, although a little small, I think you can use it efficiently. Maybe you can keep your truck inside and warm, at least for a while...you pack rat! ::)

RogerAS

Bob,

Congrats!

My one suggestion to consider when altering your basement is to consider the need of building/modifying the basement to serve as a tornado shelter. I live in a nearby state, Arkansas, and while we don't have ours built yet the plans are on the table. When I think of Greenburg, KS, and the F5 that swept that town from the earth, I think of how many people need these safe refuges. Two years ago an F4 came within a couple mile sof us that had a ground track of 123 miles! 14 People died from that ONE twister. You have the perfect opportunity to provide yourself with an easy to get to hidey-hole, as we call them here.

How about modifying one of your engines to run on that natural gas? Done right it could be the least expensive operational power/heat/cooling setup around. Sparky sparky :D

Since that tower is already on site you might consider a wind turbine into your plans. I might move it farther from the house though. Considering the rep for wind that Kansas has and everything.

Good luck, and keep us updated!

R

rl71459

Congratulations Bob!

You got a great deal! That's alot of house for the money. And now you can set it up just how you like it.

I'll bet you figure out a great way to sound proof you'r Changfa.

Rob

mobile_bob

i am thinking of having a hole dug, because i want a root cellar, ice house, and a hole to dodge bad storms
might as well make it deep and big enough for the engine room as well,

as for fumes, i am thinking most of the deadly stuff is likely heavier than air, so i will put a snorkel for the air intake down to the floor
and a fresh air return coming in from the ceiling.

if that doesn't do the job, i will just put a squirrel cage blower to flush the bad air out while the engine is running.

if they could run submarines with diesels submerged up to the intake stacks, there must be some way to keep from poisoning myself.

lots more to think about i guess.

bob g

Crofter

Good show Bob; lots of opportunities there to keep yourself entertained and the price is right! I dont think you will have any problems with neighbors especially if it be known that you can likely throw them the end of an extension cord in an emergency!

Letting go of some dreams can also be a freedom.

Good luck in your new digs.
Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5

vdubnut62

Quote from: mobile_bob on November 25, 2010, 05:42:09 AM
the asking price was 20k, i offered 17.5k and they accepted

i can't build anything for 17,500 bucks!

even if it isn't perfect, i can afford to put a few bucks into it, given that i am not looking at the place as an investment
that appreciates, but rather a place to live.

if it were to be a long term investment that i was looking for appreciation on, i probably wouldn't have made an offer
on something in that area.

if it lives as long as i do, then it will have served its purpose

bob g

Bob, I'm sorry but I have to disagree, you can build a 3 hole outhouse for around 16k, if the ground will pass a perk test. ::)
I really tried but I just couldn't stop myself.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

AdeV

Any more places up for sale there Bob?

<$20k is the sort of price I can afford to pay for a place! Heck, I might even be able to keep my UK house at those prices! Mind you, would the locals take well to having some "smart-ass limey" living with them...?  ;D
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

mobile_bob

surprisingly houses for less than 20k pop up with some regularity all across the midwest in small town usa.

towns that have lost their schools to unification lose property values along with the schools it seems.

if you don't have kids to have to bus, then that is of no concern.

as for a smart ass limey?  i am sure they would be quite entertained, as i am sure you would with the locals.

some communities are what they refer to as "closed" communities,,, those are locked up by small thinking
folks that are 3 or more generations deep and don't like foreigners, whether they come from 10 miles or 10k miles away.

others are open communities, and in my opinion are more interesting a colorful, usually populated by generations of bootleggers, dope
smokers, and all sorts of others.   surprisingly they usually don't crap in their own nest, which makes things pretty peaceful on balance.

as the old saying goes, or an adaptation thereof

"any community that would welcome me is a community that i wouldn't want to live in"

:)

and yes, i plan on stirring up some long held crap when i get back there.

bob g

AdeV

Well Bob, I reckon your $17.5k is worth somewhere in the region of £12k... so here's what you could have bought if you lived over this side of the pond:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-22210334.html

::)
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

mobile_bob

lmao

i feel so much better already!

now that i got the soda pop blown out of my nose, and out of my tear ducts

:)

bob g

EBI-WPO

Hey Bob,
Sorry I hadn't posted on this thread earlier, I just missed it on the first glance through. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help, as you know, I am near Tulsa. With a little warning, I could probably scrounge a few days off to help. Let me know. Oh..., and congrats.

Terry
To have B.S. aimed at you is an insult to your intelligence......To have B.S. spread about you is an insult to your character.....Neither should be tolerated willingly.   EBI-WPO 2010