News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Some quick help on rectifiers

Started by Randybee1, November 24, 2010, 08:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randybee1

Quick question.. I'm getting ready to run my 2 cyl Kubota engine (ZB600C) . The factory design is that it charges the battery by hooking up a tranformer to the generator, then feeding that to a rectifier. My question is: since I'm not really going to be drawing much power I plan to just dump a few amps into the battery while the system is running. I know rectifiers are rated for amperage such that I can buy a 12 volt/35 amp rectifier. In this case, is the 35 amp the max capacity? In other words can I wire up a 35 amp rectifier if I plan to only charge with 4 amps? I think the answer is yes.... but I'd like to hear from you guys first!

Thanks, Randy B

Randybee1

Quote from: Jens on November 24, 2010, 09:10:32 AM
In other words, it might be better to get yourself a proper charger and run that on the 120V generator output.

I like that idea!.. Thanks, Randy B

Actually, you've got me thinking. Like I said, the factory set up was to hook a transformer off the 120 volt generator head, feed it to a rectifier and then to the battery. So.. HOW did they control the input voltage to the battery????

Ronmar

Well if it was oly a transformer and a rectifyer, they didn't control the voltage to the battery:)  +1 on the off the shelf battery charger.  Simple solution that your battery will thank you for...
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"