News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

holy crap its cold!

Started by mobile_bob, November 22, 2010, 11:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike90045

Morning all, heading up north, to the frozen zone (26 night, 35 day) to do some work on the ranch, will be drilling the mounting bolt holes, but too cold to mix epoxy and expect it to set right, will have to wait till the slab warms up to the 60's to anchor the 'roid down.   Lots of other stuff to mess with, will try out the micro charger: honeywell 2000 & an Iota 15a/48V charger, and see what it does for me.

Geno

Quote from: hwew on November 24, 2010, 09:49:43 PM
Yes I do miss it at times and am thinking about taking my family to up state New York and spend a week up near Gore Mountain just to have them experiance it.
Henry

That's my neck of the woods. My property is just a few miles from Gore Mt. and my house is only 30. If you can make it up here ya gotta let me know. I'll do what I can to make it a good time.

Thanks, Geno

Henry W

Hi Geno,
I appreciate your offer and definetely need to contact you. It would be great to see you. I will let you know when I make the plans. If it is not this winter when I would like to try for the next.

Henry

mike90045

Quote from: mike90045 on November 25, 2010, 07:45:19 AM
Morning all, heading up north, to the frozen zone (26 night, 35 day) to do some work on the ranch, will be drilling the mounting bolt holes, but too cold to mix epoxy and expect it to set right, will have to wait till the slab warms up to the 60's to anchor the 'roid down.   Lots of other stuff to mess with, will try out the micro charger: honeywell 2000 & an Iota 15a/48V charger, and see what it does for me.

Gahhh.  Managed to tweak my back, and got next to nothing done, but eat turkey at the in-laws.  could not get any backup genset started, can't pull with bad back.  Caretakers water taps were left ON, (not drip, but 2- GPM) which drained 9,0000 gallons from the tank farm, which in cloudy weather, the solar PV can't keep up with the pump, so I arrives to a batch of dead batteries.   "I don't know how it works, but the pipes are all froze and no water".   So I messed around with the pump cycle timer to just 1 hr a day (should be 600 gal), and got one day of sun to charge batteries up mostly.   No bending over to drill or water batteries, which seemed OK with water levels.

rcavictim

Quote from: mike90045 on November 30, 2010, 08:34:33 AM
Quote from: mike90045 on November 25, 2010, 07:45:19 AM

Gahhh.  Managed to tweak my back, and got next to nothing done, but eat turkey at the in-laws.  could not get any backup genset started, can't pull with bad back.  Caretakers water taps were left ON, (not drip, but 2- GPM) which drained 9,0000 gallons from the tank farm, which in cloudy weather, the solar PV can't keep up with the pump, so I arrives to a batch of dead batteries.   "I don't know how it works, but the pipes are all froze and no water".   So I messed around with the pump cycle timer to just 1 hr a day (should be 600 gal), and got one day of sun to charge batteries up mostly.   No bending over to drill or water batteries, which seemed OK with water levels.

Woah, that sounds like an extremely frustrating weekend.  Hope your back gets better soon!
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

mike90045

Quote from: rcavictim on November 30, 2010, 02:54:34 PM
Woah, that sounds like an extremely frustrating weekend.  Hope your back gets better soon!

Well, I did get to meet Tom and see his setup, he's got his engine on an elevated casting of concrete with long deep anchors cast into the concrete, and a nifty day tank from an outboard. And it fires right up with a couple cranks.  I guess when I dump my leaky fuel petcock and factory tank, my priming troubles will be gone, and I'll be able to spin it up like he does.
Took motrin over the weekend, will try booze tonight !

Apogee

Mike,

A large gel pack kept in the freezer is your friend.  Large meaning 12" x 18" or so, about an inch thick...

15 minutes (or longer) on, then off.... etc, etc, etc...

Yeah, you'll freeze your ass off laying down on it at first, but you'll thank me in the morning!

I learned of this from a physical therapist and it's worked far, far better than drugs or anything else.  I use my pack on a regular basis because my back is toast (I fractured it a while back and it's never been the same)  It works!

Hope you feel better soon.

Steve

Henry W

The eastcoast is expecting lots of rain and high winds. I hope it does not get to bad. All I have right now is my gas powered 2500 watt civil defense generator.

Henry

Randybee1

Quote from: hwew on November 30, 2010, 09:39:16 PM
The eastcoast is expecting lots of rain and high winds. I hope it does not get to bad. All I have right now is my gas powered 2500 watt civil defense generator.

Henry

I hear ya! I keep saying I'd be kind of embarrased if we lost power. I have 6 generators, of which only 1 of them works right now ( a gas powered 12.5kw). Gotta get the other ones on line but life keeps interveening.. oh, and my wife keeps wondering why I'm in the garage instead of fixing the leaking sinks :-\

Randy B

LowGear

One cold pack coming up.

Have you ever heard of switching out a cold pack and then a heating pad and then a ........?  My understanding is that what we're really doing is increasing circulation to that area.  And if you used pain drugs it should, theoretically, concentrate the drugs in the thermally treated area.

I see Seattle is up in the 40s today.  So how strong of generator would I need to run a diesel fired hot water boiler and 240 volt 1/2 hp well pump?  The Duck Inn is a mom and pop apartment in tight quarters so "Thumper" and "Penelope" are out.  I wonder how many well cycles I'd get out of a inverted 48 volt battery pack?

Casey

Casey

Tom Reed

Good to meet you and your wife to Mike. Got lucky on that easy start, engine had been run the day before and I think it hadn't cooled all the way off yet. The previous start took 3 compression strokes. It's good to commiserate with people with the same disease.  ;) I could tell you were really enjoying hearing that engine run. I look forward to seeing your setup when you get it together. My wife swears by the ice packs too.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

cognos

Heat feels good, but increases inflammation. Inflammation=pain and stiffness.

Moderate cold decreases inflammation and dulls nerve response to pain, and that equals less pain.

It is my experience that moderate cold and some massage to increase circulation (aids in healing) and alleviate stiffness work best, along with an NSAID, like some aspirin. If I need more, I tend to go for a muscle relaxant before I go to big-gun painkillers.

Winter finally arrived today in the southernmost tip of Canada. It's 32° F right now, with a bit of snow in the air. We may even get some snow this year, according to Environment Canada and their crystal ball... ;D

bschwartz

I never thought strong pain killers did a lot to get rid of the pain, I just don't seem to care about the pain as much.....
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

rcavictim

Quote from: Jens on December 01, 2010, 02:24:28 PM
Quote from: cognos on December 01, 2010, 01:43:25 PM
Winter finally arrived today in the southernmost tip of Canada. It's 32° F right now, with a bit of snow in the air. We may even get some snow this year, according to Environment Canada and their crystal ball... ;D

Hey hey hey .... according to my map, the southernmost tip of Canada is right here in Victoria !!!!
<hurumph>

You live in Victoria?  What are you retired or something?  :D

For those that don't get this joke, Victoria, British Columbia on Vancouver Island is so beautiful and has such a moderated temperate climate from the moderating effect of the Pacific Ocean that it is well known as the retirement capitol of Canada.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

vdubnut62

Well, well, guess who drove through snow all night last night. :) Not enough for any accumulation, the ground is still 'way too warm,
but I did see snow up in East TN last night. Colder than a Witches elbow too! 28 on the front porch this afternoon.
I'm ready for spring already. Sorry the wuss is kicking in.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous