News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

holy crap its cold!

Started by mobile_bob, November 22, 2010, 11:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rl71459

Wow, What a coincidence!

A guy I work with was just showing off a Alcohol backpack burner he got on the internet. says it works
great!  I must say whoever made it did a very nice job!

Rob

rcavictim

I don't know why you guys fool with liquid alcohol to preheat injectors and such.  Seems dangerous to me.  I just use a handheld propane torch on a small one pound bottle.  That is the only way my Petter will start if it is colder than +45 F.  I need to do a proper rebuild of the cylinder and head on that engine.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

TimSR2

12 deg f in Langley BC right now too.  :'(  Hot water heat rules.  I'm glad to have a good little cast iron boiler working for me right now. And a good backup gennie just in case.

Tom Reed

Ya, supposed to go all the way down to 26 F tonight. Had to cover the lemon tree and dump the bird bath out. Burrrrrr.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

Ronmar

Quote from: rcavictim on November 23, 2010, 10:05:51 PM
I don't know why you guys fool with liquid alcohol to preheat injectors and such.  Seems dangerous to me.  I just use a handheld propane torch on a small one pound bottle.  That is the only way my Petter will start if it is colder than +45 F.  I need to do a proper rebuild of the cylinder and head on that engine.

No more dangerous than a propane torch:)  You gotta keep moving the torch around to spread out the heat or you get hot spots.  The little blue alcohol flame surrounds the injector and heats it evenly.  Considering what it takes to get diesel or lube oil to burn at these temps, there really isn't anything to catch fire on the engine, except the alcohol...   While the injector is heating, i am looking over teh engine and oiling hte IP lifter and valve train.
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

Ronmar

Quote from: Jens on November 23, 2010, 09:41:14 PM
Quote from: Ronmar on November 23, 2010, 05:34:40 PM
Quote from: veggie on November 23, 2010, 02:56:59 PM

-28C with a foot of snow in Alberta.  BBrrrrrrrrrr!
Pee freezes before it hits the ground. >:(

Oh quit exaggerating...  That dosn't happen till at least -60C...  Been to antartica 3 times:)

According to the news, Calgary (Alberta) is colder today than the south pole !
BTW, what happens when you pee on the ground - does it shatter on the ground ????  Just curious!

Considering it is summertime at the south pole right now, I can believe that.

Never actually seen pee freeze...  Who in his right mind pulls out his pecker at minus 60C...
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

LowGear

I wonder how much whiskey you'd have to drink to stop the freezing?

Casey

rcavictim

Quote from: LowGear on November 24, 2010, 12:24:44 AM
I wonder how much whiskey you'd have to drink to stop the freezing?

Casey

That is the subject of much pee-er reviewed research in arctic communities!  :D
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

vdubnut62

Sorry to hear about the temps up north, it's supposed to drop into the 40's here on Thanksgiving day.....and I'm bitching about it.
The old adage holds true, No matter how bad you think things are, someone has it worse than you do.

May everyone have a wonderful and happy Thanksgiving!  Enjoy your friends, kids, parents, whatever the case may be. (even your deadbeat brother-in -law) :D
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Tom T

The same bak at you Ron it was 17 at 5:30 am no wind ant that is a big plus but is 73 in the house  and no need to go out inless I just wont to. Thay say to day is the last of it for a while. Tom T

lowspeedlife

Don't want to piss everyone off but it's 55.0F here today & was in the mid 60's yesterday. No pee freezin' around here. If it makes you feel better i got 4 ft of leaves to rake!!

Happy Thanksgiving to all !!

Scott R.
Old Iron For A New Age

Henry W

Yea it was pretty nice here in Raleigh the last two days. I was sitting in my truck with the engine off having lunch enjoying the weather. It was so warm that I had to open the windows. People were walking around on the walking trail at the lake with tee shirts and shorts.  :)
Henry

Tom T

Thats ok we dont have the twisters and all the things that like to bite  like bugs snakes and spiders so we make up for it. You folks have a good Thanksgiven to . Tom T

Henry W

Guys, I am from the north and like winter sports. Miss ice fishing at Lake George in New York.
I still love sking, Not like I used to when I was 30 years younger sking all the diamond trails at Gore Mountain, White Face, Killington, Stratton. I can still do it but mostly what I call bunny trails now days.

Some of the best times I had was at Gunnison Colorado living and enjoying life at over 8000 feet. I remember there was a couple days when temp dropped to -54 Deg. F. at nights. my 1966 International Scout was plugged in every night. (Block and pan heaters). Those were the nights when we stayed in. But during the days on our free time we had fun snowmobileing up near Roaring Judey just outside of CRESTED BUTTE. What a great time we had there. Dry air and it realy did not feel very cold during the days. You want to talk about fishing I had a blast catching trout. just driving up differant trails in the foothills was a blast.
I been in cold weather most of my life and as long as I had the proper clothing, foot and hand gear I was fine. Always had emergency and survival gear in the truck also. That was just common sense.
Yes I do miss it at times and am thinking about taking my family to up state New York and spend a week up near Gore Mountain just to have them experiance it.
Yea I am in NC and I like it here. The weather pretty good most of the times. And yes very rarely there are small twisters that do minor damage. Yes we do get some cold weather at times hear also. So it will be here soon. We are just a month behind. :)

To everyone that is celibrating Thanksgiving be safe and have a great time.

Henry

vdubnut62

Man I hate cold weather! I keep it 75-76-77 here in the old house,(bashfully looking at the floor and scuffing my feet) it's as drafty as a barn.
Just more work I'll have to do cutting up dead wood, at least I'll get to give the new logsplitter a workout. I hope the SOB that stole my old one needed it worse than I did.
Don't get me wrong, I can stand the cold, even become acclimated to being outside in it. One of our favorite things to do is ride a kneeboard (yes the thing that goes behind a boat) behind a four-wheeler atv in the snow, ski rope and all. 20-25 mph seems a LOT faster on snow than water!!
Neighbors looking out their windows mumbling "He ain't right, Bless his heart." ;D ;D
I just can't seem to get used to sitting around the house in layers though.
Happy Turkey Day one and all!
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous