Main Menu

holy crap its cold!

Started by mobile_bob, November 22, 2010, 11:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobile_bob

supposedly 12 degree's F in seattle, here is tacoma likely not much different

wind here is 25mph and gusty

intermittent snow, and we already have about 4 inches

wow, this is feeling a lot like kansas in the middle of a february blizzard!

we ain't used to this crap here in the pacific nw

what the hell happened to global warming?  wish algore would have been right,, at least for tonight!

(ok, not really)

at least the power is still on, and all is good here

bob g

Tom T

Hay Bob was just thanking about you its about 31 no wind some snow comeing down not much thay say it will be about 25 by daylight. Tom T

Henry W

Wow, That does not happen very often in Tacoma.
Did you try the new glow plug setup in that cold weather?

Henry

mobile_bob

i haven't tried it at these temps, but i will brave the cold in the morning and see how it works out.

report later

bob g

Henry W

I am looking forward hearing how it works.

Henry

Tom T

Its 20 deg the ground is white but no wind. Tom T

DRDEATH

Bob it is just getting you ready to move back to KS. Its BURR COLD here in western KS and I am sure colder in eastern KS. Have a great day. Mike DD
As long as Breast Cancer Kills, I will support the battle. Please help support your local chapters.

Ronmar

Yep, in the 20's over here in port angeles, with about a foot of snow. The engine started good last night.  My cold start prep is a little burning alcohol in around the base of the injector and on top of the IP for a few minutes.  It woofed on the first compression stroke and poped almost like normal on the second and accelerated to speed:)
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

LowGear

And people ask me why I moved from Seattle to Kona.  OK, it was the 72 days without seeing the sun back in 98-99 that pushed us off the 55 year birth place. 

My wife is spending Thanksgiving back with the relatives.  Snicker, snort, snicker.  Aaah, the joys of family.

Aloha

Snort, snort, snicker.

mobile_bob

i remember '98  it rained here for 91 days straight, i thought sure i would grow webs between my toes
and fingers

never was so happy to finally see the clouds part and the sun come out.

bob g

BioHazard

I drove to the shop last night, parked, went inside to work. It was raining. 5 hours later I went outside for the first time and found an inch of snow on my truck.  :o I had no idea this was coming...
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

veggie

-28C with a foot of snow in Alberta.  BBrrrrrrrrrr!
Burning the good suff in the wood stove. Birch hardwood. ;)
Pee freezes before it hits the ground. >:(

Ronmar

Quote from: veggie on November 23, 2010, 02:56:59 PM

-28C with a foot of snow in Alberta.  BBrrrrrrrrrr!
Pee freezes before it hits the ground. >:(

Oh quit exaggerating...  That dosn't happen till at least -60C...  Been to antartica 3 times:)
Ron

Jedon

32F here in Northern California heading for 14F tonight. 4ft of snow. Lister SR2 has been starting up no problems at all on straight diesel, we'll see how it does tomorrow morning.

Ronmar

Started mine again this morning at 20F.  A little Heet gasoline de-icer put in around the injector and ignited warms it up nicely.  Search for "beer can camp stove" on Youtube.  Heet(nearly pure alcohol) is the fuel of choice for the homemade backpack stove crowd:)  I add a few drops every 30 seconds or so to keep a small flame burning around the injector for probably 2-3 minutes.  I also do this to the top fiting on the IP and drip some down the injector hard line to pre-heat it also.  Wuffs on the first compression stroke and pops to life on the second:) 

I skecthed out a little design today for a small alcohol lamp I can hang over the lower coolant pipe returning to the base of the cylinder.  I am going to experiment with how much I can warm up the coolant heating this pipe with a small flame and see if this improves cold startup performance.   
Ron