News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

glowplugs for the changfa

Started by mobile_bob, November 18, 2010, 10:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobile_bob

coldest morning so far this year, temp in the shop was below freezing at ~30F

energized precup glowplug for 10 seconds and the engine started as if it was fully warmed up.

i like it!

bob g

Henry W

That sounds like a successful project and I bet the glow plug system can start the S195 at Zero Deg. F and below with the fuel cut properly and 10-30 diesel rated oil.

Henry

LincTex

As some may know and others don't, glowplugs in the head only work on "IDI" engines.
For "DI" engines, heating the intake air is the only safe option.

I am very surprised that not one person has mentioned the 12 volt intake air heater grid found on Cummins engines in Dodge pickups. This would be an easy retrofit to the DI engines like my ZS1110.  You need a good battery, though. I think the draw is 100 amps with both relays energized - - about the same as a starter in a small car.
Metro 6-1 from Sam Crosby, 2007
Chang Chai 1110 - 18 HP

vdubnut62

I did ..several months ago. I think the consensus was that the vibration of the changfoid would make little pieces out of it.
Here's the link

http://www.microcogen.info/index.php?topic=795.15

Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Henry W

Ron,
You beat me to it.
That is exactly the same topic I remember.

Yes, Intake heaters have been talked about on and off the fourm.
Yes there is one being looked at. We are going through it carefully because we want one that will not break and have the element parts sucked in the combustion chamber.

Henry

Crofter

Is he question of glow plugs working or not on DI engines specific to Changfas? My VW DI is glow plugged. I can see if you are refitting one, that finding a suitable spot could be much trickier.
Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5

vdubnut62

Quote from: Crofter on December 08, 2010, 07:36:58 AM
Is he question of glow plugs working or not on DI engines specific to Changfas? My VW DI is glow plugged. I can see if you are refitting one, that finding a suitable spot could be much trickier.

How is that DI vw glowplugged? I would like to see a pic if possible. My old veedubs were all id engines.
I can see it if the plugs are in the intake just B4 the intake valve?
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

LincTex

You could mount the grid heater separate on a sturdy mount and connect to the engine with a flex rubber hose.

To those of you who have never held a Cummins grid heater in your hand, I suggest you do - and examine it. They are STOUT. I really do not think a Changfa will shake one apart. Cummins diesels shake pretty bad, too. I have never seen a grid heater that has failed due to vibration, and I have seen some that have near a million miles on them.
Metro 6-1 from Sam Crosby, 2007
Chang Chai 1110 - 18 HP

Crofter

Ron the glow plug tip projects into the cyl. just beside the injector. It projects slighly below the deck of the head and down into the depression in the piston top. I will see if this link works to a google image. They sure start better than the old 1.6 but only if those glow plugs are all working.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRnhhyHIM2U2bpqCBzP2nDFzyvCq-oLLR4fKAkRr8a9wfVQRJThw
Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5

vdubnut62

Well, I'll be jiggered. That's pretty cool Crofter, thanks!
Ron

Crofter

There is a combination 12 volt resistance and fuel burning heater for manifolds. I have one on my 83 Case (David Brown) tractor and it was used on many different brands. The resistance element expands and opens a diesel fuel drip which it ignites in the manifold and gets sucked burning into the cylinders. They also used to occasionally ignite and burn out the intake air cleaner element. I think Lucas may have had the original patent. I believe it screws into a 1/2 or 3/4" pipe thread opening. Around 20 - 30$.

It does work after a fashion but that old girl still shows her dislike for my climate for quite a while after starting.
Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5

Henry W

Quote from: LincTex on December 08, 2010, 08:50:46 AM
You could mount the grid heater separate on a sturdy mount and connect to the engine with a flex rubber hose.

To those of you who have never held a Cummins grid heater in your hand, I suggest you do - and examine it. They are STOUT. I really do not think a Changfa will shake one apart. Cummins diesels shake pretty bad, too. I have never seen a grid heater that has failed due to vibration, and I have seen some that have near a million miles on them.

The the Cummins grid heater is costly. They are good but there are other aftermarket heaters that are much less in price and look to be a better fit for our application.
Henry

NevadaBlue

so, mobile-bob, is your precup heater still working? I think this will work on my engine. Now to find the glow plug. Oh, my oil pan heaters got here. They look good, but haven't tried one yet. The first one will go on my tractor, the generator isn't ready to roll yet.

RogerAS

Quote from: LincTex on December 08, 2010, 06:25:12 AM
As some may know and others don't, glowplugs in the head only work on "IDI" engines.
For "DI" engines, heating the intake air is the only safe option.

snip...

Wow! The engineers at Kubota must have screwed up because my 300 series engine, directly injected, has a glow plug which is screwed into the head right beside the injector.

R

rl71459

respectfully.

My NewHolland direct injected tractor has glow plugs that appear to be  in the combustion chamber 1 per cylinder.