Yanmar diesel genset build - Surplus engine

Started by charlevoixboy, November 16, 2010, 07:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beachcomber

hello again ,yes the generator joe one ,the other one is  navigator marine yanmar norpro 5ny .slightly different marine version? sorry dont know how to post links .i only need 3 kw, my concern is how it runs at 1800

Henry W

You won't know untill you try it. I can tell you that the Yanmar 2TNV70-PGA diesel has a differant spec than the one on generator joe's web site. Be prepaired to do modifications. If you do not have a service manual I would not attempt changing anything untill you get one.

Personaly I would contact Yanmar and give them the serial and spec # and see what this engine is set up for. Than make the decision based on the info they give you.

Henry

BioHazard

Quote from: hwew on November 29, 2010, 04:22:23 PMPersonaly I would contact Yanmar and give them the serial and spec # and see what this engine is set up for. Than make the decision based on the info they give you.

That seems to be the problem. Somebody posted they already tried asking Yanmar and Surplus Center for more details, and nobody seems to know anything specific about the "PGA" engine, or what is was built for. Probably the reason they are priced so cheap...

I don't know much about that generator I posted, but I did see it on a different website a while ago that claimed the same 5kw (electrical) @ 1800 RPM. Now I can't seem to find it...
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

Shepherd777

Hey Charlevoixboy -

Any update on your progress?

Any pics?

Were you happy with what was delivered?

Have you made any choices on radiator, fan, and other accessories?

Are you going to use the leg stands that were shipped with the unit to attach to your base?

Thanks.

charlevoixboy

Finally back to start work!  (I am helping my son is finish his first car - an '81 VW Rabbit diesel - go figure!)

The engine arrived in great shape and I am sizing up the (4) iron bars that were used to bolt to the engine to the crate like a stand.  I may end up using them by welding them to a I beam framework I will be using.  I may need to reinforce them first though.

I have the luxury of a family member that owns a scrap yard, so I will find a good radiator out of a small 4 cylinder car with an electric fan for cooling.  I also need to find an idler pulley for the cooling belt.  At this point I will not use an alternator, just a trickle charger for my starting battery, considering I only need the battery to start the engine.  After the engine is running the trickle charger will start catching up again!

Mike M. is making a pulley that bolts directly to the flywheel.  We decided that it was best to simply send my flywheel to him - just to assure the fit.  (BTW, shipping flywheels can be expensive and we took advantage of the $10.70 United States Postal Service flat rate for a 12x12x5 box.  Flywheel was wrapped in cardboard and duct taped to assure a safe trip, knowing abuse is a given.)

So, I am waiting for the pulleys and will learn how to post pics once it arrives.  I will lay out the engine/generator frame next weekend too - will post some pics from that too.

-Charlevoixboy

mr.fixit

HI,just received my yanmar diesel. Looks like well built little engine.Plan on building a generator but still looking for a gen head, havent decided yet what to get.It should be a fun project!I'll try to post some photos,couldnt resist seeing what the inside of this engine looked like. Anyways thanks for all the great info here.

flywheel

Not even a grain of sand visible, spotless on the inside.   
                                                                                         flywheel

Never met a diesel engine I didnt like.

Thob

So does anybody have one of these Yanmars running? 
How's the performance? 
Have you connected it to a generator head?
Will it run at 1800 RPM?

Curious minds want to know!

I really wanted a Listeroid 6/1, but the prices have gone so high I could buy two of the Yanmars.  I messed around and didn't buy the Listeroid when they were cheap, I don't want to miss the opportunity here (Surplus Center sold 4 in the last 2 days).
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

mr.fixit

Yeah Ive had mine running. Its just bolted to a pallet for now,no gen head yet. It really started up nice.
Idles at 1400 RPM and the high speed limit screw is set at 2600 RPM-just right for the pulleys I have.
It runs smooth at all speeds.Its a nice engine.
I think it would do fine at 1800 although at less HP,I think the manual showed  8 or 9 hp at that speed.

Thob

Thanks for the info!

The information I found online for the -ASA version of the engine shows minimum fuel consumption (~255 g/KwH) and about 7.5 HP at 1800 RPM.  That should work well direct coupled to a 5KW ST gen head and produce 3-4 KW out which is plenty for me (I think).  I think I'll get a two-bearing gen head so I can play around with different RPMs using various pulleys.  I would expect pretty long engine life at 1800 RPM.
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

RogerAS

Quote from: mr.fixit on February 22, 2011, 06:43:31 PM
Yeah Ive had mine running. Its just bolted to a pallet for now,no gen head yet. It really started up nice.
Idles at 1400 RPM and the high speed limit screw is set at 2600 RPM-just right for the pulleys I have.
It runs smooth at all speeds.Its a nice engine.
I think it would do fine at 1800 although at less HP,I think the manual showed  8 or 9 hp at that speed.

Mr.FIxIt,

Dang it, I've been after some info on your engine for a while now. Are you saying you can throttle your engine between stops. I read the listing at surplus center that the engine was set at a fixed RPM. Am I reading/understanding this wrong?

Could you make it idle down around 1,000 RPM and still top out around 2,600 RPM, if you wanted to do this?

How much did you shipping and engine cost in total, if you don't mind saying?

I like the ability to very slowly charge my battery bank and throttle control is important with my set up.

Like I said my little Kubota is getting a little long in the tooth, even if it still ticks right along. Besides, this engine could pull a good gen head the EL300 would be scared to death of.

R

RogerAS

Hey,

Here's the info from the listing at Surplus Center for THIS engine:

Quote13.4 HP 3600 RPM YANMAR DIESEL ENGINE
New, YANMAR two cylinder industrial diesel engine. Mechanical fuel pump with prime. 12 VDC starter, glow plugs and fuel shutoff solenoid. No alternator, radiator, fan blade or air cleaner. Belt-driven water pump with no belt or tensioner. Ships with muffler, gaskets, water separator, fuel filter and owners manual. Governor set up for constant speed operation. Engine conforms to 2007 USA and California EPA regulations for off-road C.I. engines.

Is the mod to make the engine variable speed easy/possible?

Really thinking of buying one of these, so please let me know what's up here. Constant speed is not going to work for my needs, but this is one cute little engine!

RS

mr.fixit

I think what they mean is its meant to run at a constant speed,whatever it might be. You can defiantly vary the speed with the throttle lever.It has high and low speed limit adjustment screws on the throttle lever stops.
I believe these engines were meant for big rig apu units http://www.truckgenerators.com/userguide.pdf
I paid whatever surplus center shows ($779 ?)plus $155 shipping for 2 of them to west central WI.
Its a sweet little engine.

RogerAS

Mr. FixIt,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm afraid I'm going to have to have one of these little cuties!

Can you tell if the engine is going to have any vibration issues, or other concerns, from your abbreviated run times?

How easy is the exhaust to mod, is the stock muffler effective?

Does the owners manual cover the break in process?

Share all you care to.

R

mr.fixit

Vibration is minimal,only at shutdown did the pallet the engine is bolted to move around a little.
It comes with a very detailed manual that includes some information on break in.
It comes with a very well built muffler that does an excellent job,it would be easy to adapt some other type of pipe to the 4 bolt flange that the muffler bolts to. The intake with no airfilter made more noise than anything.