Yanmar diesel genset build - Surplus engine

Started by charlevoixboy, November 16, 2010, 07:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlevoixboy

Hello, I am a newbie to this awesome forum!

I have read some background posts for a generator setup using the Surplus Center Yanmar 13.4HP diesel.  This last week I purchased the engine and then ordered a generator (7.5KW) from Central Georgia Generator (great folks, very helpful).  Got in touch with Mike M. to make some sheaves for the correct RPM (as soon as I can give him the correct bolt circle and size!) and now I wait until the trucks arrive.

So, I am starting this topic to see if there are any other members that might share their experience with this engine/generator combo, or maybe those that might be thinking of going this route and would care to share their progress?  I would be happy to post my progress if anyone would find that helpful.

Believe me, when I complete this it will be a major accomplishment for me!  I am not really that knowledgeable about generators....but I sure am willing to learn - and share.

-Charlevoixboy

squarebob

Welcome aboard. I think we all enjoy each others projects and look forward to lots of pictures as you progress. I have learned a lot here and learn more almost every day. This is a great place to hang out and share.

Bob
GM90 6/1, 7.5 ST head, 150 Amp 24V Leece Neville, Delco 10si
Petter AA1 3.5 HP, 75 Amp 24V Leece Neville
2012 VW Sportwagen TDI, Average 39.1 MPG

Henry W

Welcome aboard Charlevoixboy,

This is the place to learn and get the help you need to get started. We have a great bunch of members here so if you need any help just let us know.

Henry

BioHazard

I would really love to hear how your project goes. I keep wanting to order one of those engines I just don't "need" it..........
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

charlevoixboy

7.5KW generator head arrived on Friday, generator scheduled to arrive on Monday.  It is like the Holidays arrived early!  Can't wait and will post pics of the flywheel and bolt pattern my sheaves will be made to.

-Charlevoixboy

Shepherd777

Hello Charlevoixboy -

I am new here as well.

I will be watching your progress. I am looking to use the Yanmar to build a diesel powered APU that charges the deep cycle batteries on my semi truck.

ryanw95

I am new to this forum as well.

I couldn't help but notice the engine's rating is 13.4hp @ 3600rpm. The ST head is designed to spin @ 1800rpm, or there-abouts, if I'm not mistaken.

I think you should be OK though. If you need a tach for the engine, a diesel TinyTach may be a good option.
handfull of horizontal water-cooled Changfa-style motors, in tractor, generators, etc.

BioHazard

Quote from: ryanw95 on November 27, 2010, 10:41:25 PM
I am new to this forum as well.

I couldn't help but notice the engine's rating is 13.4hp @ 3600rpm. The ST head is designed to spin @ 1800rpm, or there-abouts, if I'm not mistaken.

I think you should be OK though. If you need a tach for the engine, a diesel TinyTach may be a good option.

There has been some questioning on whether this engine can run smoothly at 1800RPM or not, and I have yet to hear a good answer on that. All I know is that there is at least 1 commercial 8kw generator made with this engine running at 1800 RPM, but, it's not the "PGA" version which nobody can seem to find much info about...

Henry W

Max torque for the Yanmar engine is near 2600 + or minus 100 rpm's.

This is where it runs most effiently and I feel this is where I would run it if I want to squeeze every ounce of efficency out of it. Most modern small displacement 2 cylinder engines like Perkins/Cat, Kubota and Yanmar do not like being run at 1800 RPM's. They will be shakers and will not develop much Hp. You look at all the APU manufactures and you will see they all use belt drives on their products.

It is also good to have most engines to run 100 to 200 RPM's above peak torque for our applications. When an engine starts getting loaded and RPM's start dropping slightly the engine will still be near peak torque and can produce a good amount of power. When you run most modern engines away from the peak torque curve and it starts getting loaded the engine does not have the same ability to produce.

My guess is the Yanmar will produce 6-1/2 Hp at 1800 RPM's. and with being in the low part of the torque curve it should produce around 3Kw. As I see it, the negatives outweigh the positives running an engine of this type at slow RPM's.

Henry

beachcomber

hello.my typing skills are poor but here goes. iam allso interested in this engine but direct conected with lovejoy type conection at 1800. in my search of this engine i see 2 professionaly built gensets that use this engine at 1800...what gives ?

Henry W

Can you can post links so we can look at them. They cannot put out that much running at 1800 RPM. What are their output claims. 3kw, 3.5kw? And if they abuse it possibly 4Kw for a very short time. A .570 liter diesel engine can only put out so much at 1800 RPM's. I know that engine can easily pull 7kw at 3600 RPM. Are you sure they are running a 4 pole generator head. My guess is they are running a 2 pole generator head and spinning the engine up at 3600 RPM if it is direct drive.

Henry

BioHazard

Geno

Here's a link to Yanmars TNV page. All the 2 cylinder engines are rated 3600 rpm. Some of the 3 cylinder engines are rated at 1800.  Maybe Joe made a typo and it's a 3 cylinder, 1800 rpm model. I don't see any way a 2 cylinder TNV engine is going get you 5KW at 1800 rpm.

http://www.yanmar.com/products/industrial-engines/liquid-cooled/tnv/

Thanks, Geno

Henry W

mobile_bob

maybe it has the nitrous injection option, to make 5kwatts?

:)

something doesn't add up with the "joe" genset, as nice as it looks i find it hard to figure how they
get 5kw out of a 6.7 hp engine driven genset, unless

the are reporting that the engine produces 6.7 hp or 5kw mechanical?

6.7 x .745= 4.99kw 

(1hp = .745 kwatts)

bet that is what they are reporting, either and oversight or blatant bullcrap

bob g