News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Backup Generator

Started by squarebob, October 28, 2010, 06:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry W

Leave the exhaust alone on the 2-stroke. All 2-strokes these days have tuned exhaust. If it is messed with the exhaust scavaging will be effected and in turn the incoming fuel /air mixture will change and in turn you will wind up with ether a lean or rich run condition and the emissions will be effected also unless you are very lucky.

The carbs now days have fixed jets and cannot be adjusted this is one of the requirements for the engine to get EPA certified.

Henry

rl71459

I am enjoying this 2 cycle oil stuff, I have seen a great many approaches applied.

1, Old School, (My Father ran 30w non det in all the 2 cycles, we had alot of old outboards while            growing up) Never lost an engine!

2, Techno Oil, Teenage years (MotoCross) Belray, Klotz, Honda HP2, Castrol, numerous others. Injection vs Premix. Of this stuff I was always amazed with "HP2" Upon teardown of an HP2 engine you will find a nice clear clean blue film of oil on the piston and rings. never any gummy stuff at all! Also seen others that worked well, But the stuff left from HP2 looked like it was just poured out of the bottle.

3, Marine TCW3, I had a couple of Yamaha Jet Skis... That only seen "YAMALUBE 2M" They never ever had any trouble at all! and man did they ever take a beating! That Said, they also had a great working rev limiter. ;D  I also have had a few Outboards and they all get the lowest priced "Pennzoil Outboard TCW3" stuff on the shelf @ WallyWorld. Never lost an engine!

4, Snowmobiles, 3 Different Brands.... Always used the recomended stuff with good results!

5, RC Stuff, Planes, Boats, Buggies, Both Nitro and Gas engines. I gave all the gas ones "HP2" and them
little nitro bastards got the hottest stuff I was willing to spend money for.

Sorry for rambling so much ::)
Rob

Henry W

Hi Jens,

This site should help.  http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=996766

That is a very good saw. It is not a cheap throw away.

I will check and see what else I can dig up.

Henry

Henry W

Here is the place where I buy chain and bars. They might be able to help.

http://www.baileysonline.com/

Crofter

The 34 AV is getting a bit long in the tooth but still a good saw. Certainly worth an aftermarket piston and cylinder kit if the lower end and all else is good. OEM parts are twice as expensive. It is easy to sign up to Arboristsite.com and there is searchable info on your particular saw and repair project.

Baileys is excellent to deal with and you can order into Canada completely no sweat. They have connections that takes everything through customs and delivers Canada Post.
Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5

SteveU.

Yep. Yep. On both counts.

Baileys is great. I use the 1-800-322-4539 phone and credit card it.

And the father-in-law's old, always would start in any weather O32AVI went by-by to a brother-in-law along with MY 12ga shotgun and other considerations so I could keep the JD/Yammar tractor.
The new 440 Sthil to replace the old 032 has a lot more power but I hate the single lever plastic unitized control. Been working it real hard for an excuse to put a big bore cylinder kit on it from Baileys to have a 460 without the extra weight. High rpm 2-strokes rule in a working saw. Don't even want to think about a 4-stroke. I read about a military developement saw once to use JP-4? Noboby would operate it at 35 pounds. Be like going back to the late 1940's.

Regards
Washington State Steve Unruh
"Use it up. Wear it out. Make do. Or do without."
"Trees are the Answer" to habitat, water, climate moderation, food, shelter, power, heat and light. Plant, grow, and harvest more trees. Then repeat. Trees the ultimate "no till crop". Trees THE BEST solar batteries. Now that is True sustainability.

vdubnut62

That old long in the tooth 034 is still king of the hill around here for everyday use. A big bore kit from Bailey's is the #1 choice if it ever needs it. I like the 034 so much that now I have 2 of 'em along side of the ported and polished 064 Beast, and the tiny 017.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

vdubnut62

Epay is also a source for aftermarket parts. That 034 may be so old now as to be obsolete. Not sure about the 036 jug and piston....
check the diameter where it goes into the block, also the length of the skirt and the diameter of the wristpin. The muffler and carb & intake SHOULD work if the other stuff fits. I did have a junk 034 here with a bad crank, but I traded it in on the second running 034.
Also, check the cylinder, pull off the muffler and look in there, the cylinder is hard chrome plated and if you are very very lucky,
the Planets and Stars are in alignment, the phase of the Moon is correct, and the wind is blowing in the right direction, you just might get away with a piston replacement.( you could also win the lottery)
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Henry W

Getting back on the topic of this cute little 2-stroke backup generator I looked at the parts break down and noticed the parts break down http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/66000-66999/66619.pdf  it looks like a well thought out genset. It looks very simple to work on and I like the little bugger.
Henry

Crofter

Did someone say that it was a cast iron cylinder? Looks like an easy engine to work on. The two piece head gives interesting possibilities too.
Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5

vdubnut62

BioHazard

Quote from: Crofter on November 03, 2010, 02:25:46 PM
Did someone say that it was a cast iron cylinder? Looks like an easy engine to work on. The two piece head gives interesting possibilities too.
Yep, cast iron with an aluminum head. It is very simple to take apart...too bad I can't buy parts. At $89, I think I'm going to have to buy a few more just as spares. I'm worried they might be selling too many of these at such a low price, and then the EPA could cut them off. Even when I took back the first broken one the manager said "geez, that's a good deal", since they were back up to $150. I would never pay full price for one knowing the way harbor freight sells stuff...but I'd say it is well worth $150. Especially when you consider the Honda EU1000 is something like $1200+? I thought the 2 cycle engine would be a huge issue with this machine but it's really growing on me.

I'm hoping it will do well with a 45 amp battery charger...
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

BioHazard

Slow night at the shop so I thought I'd stir up some trouble... ;)

Going through my oil stash I've got 5 different types of 2 cycle oil.

The first is Pennzoil "Outdoor", multi-purpopse, for small engines. The back of the bottle says:
"A high performance 2 cycle engine oil meeting or exceeding requirements  of all leading manufacturers of 2 cycle products including chain saws, lawn mowers, motorcycles, and string trimmers, as well as outboard engines made by all manufacturers requiring TC-W3 oil."
"Good for water cooled and air cooled 2 cycle engines"

Next we have Pennzoil "Premium Plus marine synthetic blend outboard engine oil". The back of the bottle says "Pennzoil Marine Premium Plus outboard 2 cycle synthetic blend oil is specifically designed for exceptional performance in marine applications." TC-W3 certified.

Notice they say nothing about chainsaws or air cooled engines. Interesting.

Next up is a bottle of Havoline TC-W3 "2 cycle engine oil" The back of the bottle says "May be used in outboards, snowmobiles, personal watercraft, lawnmowers, chainsaws, motorcycles and other 2 cycle engines where an engine oil meeting TC-W3 or JASO M 345 FB standards is recommended.
I also have a Mexican bottle of Havoline for some reason, I can't read it except that I see "TC-W3" and another spec that I don't understand and the American bottle doesn't have.

Apparently Havoline is only good for chainsaws and lawnmowers, you have to use Pennzoil in chain saws and lawn mowers. ;)

Next is a bottle of "Quicksilver Premium Plus 2 cycle outboard oil". The back says "designed for all 2 cycle outboard engine applications" (requiring TC-W3) Not a word about lawn equipment or anything air cooled.

I also have an old bottle of Amsoil 100:1 mix, which I use at the engine MFG's ratio. The back of it's bottle proclaims it's the best for everything, though it hasn't been tested to meet any standards, including TC-W3. Amsoil claims to provide their own warranty on equipment used with their 100:1 mix. (since you voided the MFG warranty)

All that said, I have yet to see a bottle of 2 cycle oil which claims it is good for use with generators. :P I think I'm going to stick with the Pennzoil "outdoor", since it specifically lists air cooled engines. FWIW, I run my truck on about 300:1 Quicksilver oil... ;D
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

Henry W

Amsoil is a waste of money for this little generator. I was a dealer for Amsoil for three years and using it on my own equipment I saw there was no benifit running the stuff. A matter of fact my equipment hotter at the recommended 100:1 ratio. (friction=heat) Running 80:1 was better. And running 50:1 my equipment ran like crap. Oil slobbered out of the mufflers. ::)

I do not see the big deal going out buying and running the new high quality semi synthetic oil I recommended earlier. It is under 2 bucks per bottle for a 2-1/2 gallon mix. And it gets cheaper when you buy it in larger bottles. And it has stabelizer in it. And it is cheaper than lots of the TC-W3 brand oils. I just don't get it guys. Is it to hard to go out and spend 2 bucks on some good oil and know that you will have that little generator last? Are we getting to the point that we are loosing common sense. My 10 year old daughter reads the engine manuals I have when I work on my equipment and reminds me that the equipment needs a special type of oil. I hope she does not loose her mind like us old farts. If you guys have such a short memerory I would suggest going back and re-read what I wrote and posted. And if you do understand what is written and don't give a shit than all hope is lost. Yea we will all get there someday. :)
Is it worth saving a few cents on oil and possibly damage an engine in the proccess?

Henry

LowGear

Hi Henry,

Saving the world is not always easy.

Casey